Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:18 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Build Log
Fast Foam Glassed Arc Powered Mirage Tiger Build Thread.

Hello Pilots,

After long thinking and research, I finally join the Fast Foam Mirage Bandwagon from my Friends at our fields.

Those are powered by an 8s Jepe motor and are completely glassed with 2x225MG Hitec Servos for the Elevon Controls.

Turnigy UBEC and a 100amp Sentilon is the equipment they are using.

The Mirage get's launched by them over a Bungee hook on the underside of the Jet by a Bungee Launcher on Wheels.

All 3-4 Mirage have the same color's and reaching a top speed of around 250km/h.

My Mirage will be different.

It will have a fully electric retract system with suspension from RC Lander.
Completely glassed and custom aggressive Paint Job are just one of the Highlights of my Project.

Thanks for all the various input for Decals, I choose Callie Graphics to get my Decals done. Paint will be done by me with a Airbrush System with Acrylic Colors.

The pictures attached are showing to what my Mirage should look like in the end.

Here are some Highlights which are subject to change over time:

- Jepe Fast Foam Mirage Kit
- Jepe Nato Tiger Decals Set
- RC Lander Electric Retract System with Suspension
- RC Lander 90mm Afterburner and light system set
- 2x Hitec 225MG Servos for the Elevons
- Wemo/Arc 3665- 6S- 3.5-3.6Kg Thrust Provided by Extreme Radio Control Australia
- K-Force 120amp 6-12S High Voltage Opto ESC
- Castle Creations 10amp Peak! BEC
- Flightmax 5800mah 30c or 6000mah 25-50c Nano-Tech Batteries
- Realistic Turbine Exit recreation
- Custom Made Decals by Callie Graphics

More will be added overtime.

Shipment is underway!

Neversommer.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Last edited by neversommer; Dec 22, 2010 at 08:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:57 AM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,587 Posts
http://www.callie-graphics.com/index.php

here are a few ideas;

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...074ae9ea9410cc

and my fav.
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Last edited by tomme21; Dec 15, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:20 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,413 Posts
Neversommer, I've been thinking of one of these for my next years go fast project also.
I'm concerned about the intakes being large and how difficult it would be to ad diverter plates to reduce the area and make it look more scale, if not ad foam to the inner lip and shape the inlets outer lip more elliptical. I saw the post on adding the center fairing extension, different articles on equipment installation that have given me modification ideas. I have a 36-65/9305 and epf retracts etc, I'll keep watching!
Tom J
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:34 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme21 View Post

Thanks for your Post my friend

I send callie graphics and email regarding my project and choose this color scheme here :

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Franc...074ae9ea9410cc

The Orange and Black should be nicely visible in the air

I hope it won't be too expensive.

neversommer.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Neversommer, I've been thinking of one of these for my next years go fast project also.
I'm concerned about the intakes being large and how difficult it would be to ad diverter plates to reduce the area and make it look more scale, if not ad foam to the inner lip and shape the inlets outer lip more elliptical. I saw the post on adding the center fairing extension, different articles on equipment installation that have given me modification ideas. I have a 36-65/9305 and epf retracts etc, I'll keep watching!
Tom J
At our field there is a total of 4x Mirage 2000 Glassed Versions, all the same build structure.

I spoke to JEPE today and he told me it is kinda difficult to get a fairly light and good retract set installed.

Not sure if I should stay with retracts or go straight for bungee launch or wagon launch.

Neversommer.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:50 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
Thanks for your Post my friend

I send callie graphics and email regarding my project and choose this color scheme here :

The Orange and Black should be nicely visible in the air

I hope it won't be too expensive.

neversommer.

nice choice, i missed that one, oh, i vote for retracts, they have been done on here before and it flew nicely.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879307

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=317
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:54 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,582 Posts
If you go light enough hand launch is easy, I'm planning a 6S 3000mah 40C with one of those $70 ChangeSun 90mm 1600watt fan/motor combos in mine, flight times will be short (around the the 3min mark) but it will be nice and light. Also I'm going for an Israeli 3 tone camo pattern, not scale I know, but will be easy to see in the air.
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:00 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme21 View Post
nice choice, i missed that one, oh, i vote for retracts, they have been done on here before and it flew nicely.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879307

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=317
Ok the color scheme is set, which is the one I mentioned before.

Callie will do it for me, dont know how he can get it done without measurements, I just provided the length and the width of the plane.

Also I am planning to use EFlite electric 10-15e retracts which hold up to 2300grams, and these struts:

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=11300

Once they get into Stock.

Only Problem is the plane may weight a bit more then 2300grams and will be powered by a ARC 3655 Motor with 3.6kg thrust.

I am a bit concerned about the electric retracts..but these hobbyking struts only accept a 3mm diameter wire, the 15-25e have 3.5mm wire, which won't fit.

Any other suggestions maybe for a good retract system that is electric?

I have a EDF Retract System at home..not with the alu outside body..the standard revised one..but there you need to make a bit more modifications.

I may could reduce the e-flite wire from 3.5mm to 3mm to make it fit but I don't know if that would be stable enough in the end.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated

I am not the best builder I must say..so it will be a massive challenge for me for the retracts on the nose gear..I am just worried it wont be strong enough to withhold a bit harder landing

The brand new RC Lander retracts would be something I wanna consider as well, since they look extremely durable !

The Plane is under way

The Motor will need to be purchased alongside with Hitec Heavy Duty Servos + Decals+ Choice of Retracts.

Esc will be a K-Force 120amp 12S Version.

Name of my Mirage will still be announced..currently the name's to choose are:

Pulsecon
Hypersonic
Panther

still more ideas to come.

Neversommer.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:50 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,413 Posts
Remove the set screws and drill it out to 3.5mm ad lock tite. I saw where a fellow used motor shafts to adapt his struts. I don't see 3mm or 3.5mm wire holding up to the landing load, and never in grass but thats just me.
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:59 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Remove the set screws and drill it out to 3.5mm ad lock tite. I saw where a fellow used motor shafts to adapt his struts. I don't see 3mm or 3.5mm wire holding up to the landing load, and never in grass but thats just me.
Tom
Hello Tom,

Thanks for your Advice, but I reckon the 3.5mm wire should work just fine.

People are using for example for the big Starmax F-18 the E-flite 15-25 E Retracts that also only have 3.5mm Wire and the weight is over 2.5kg and they are holding up well.

My Mirage should be anywhere near 2kg-2.4kg, I am sure the retracts should hold up this weight.

Since the struts have good suspension and the wheel are giving way..it should not be a problem...

They ran a jet with 4.5kg on these electric retracts and they were holding up just fine.

Regards
Neversommer.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:47 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
hi,
I ordered these for my flyfly Mirage, but went with stock ones. They turned out way too small for my taste. But they may be more scale, I dont know.

I have 2 glassed Mirages, but none maidened yet, freezing cold outside. The one with electric retracts weighs 2,6kg. Using eflite lookalikes.
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:09 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhey View Post
hi,
I ordered these for my flyfly Mirage, but went with stock ones. They turned out way too small for my taste. But they may be more scale, I dont know.

I have 2 glassed Mirages, but none maidened yet, freezing cold outside. The one with electric retracts weighs 2,6kg. Using eflite lookalikes.
LOL!!!

That surely looks like a really small retract set doesnt it?

I expected it to be a bit bigger to be honest....

The Top Gun Electric Retracts may be ok...but that beige plastic looks kinda cheap!

On yours however I can see it is black?

Was the installation going ok with these retracts????

I may if they are good decide to purchase them as well but with suspension struts from Top Gun.

Regards

Neversommer.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:20 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
I have used these retracts successfully up to AUW 3,3 kg (flyfly mb339). They are available from several, but I bought them from Hobbycity/Hobbyking..
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:26 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhey View Post
I have used these retracts successfully up to AUW 3,3 kg (flyfly mb339). They are available from several, but I bought them from Hobbycity/Hobbyking..
Sounds Sweet!

I was thinking of getting them as well, cause they have a very competitive Price in comparison to the eflite ones.

So you are using these and also the original flyfly struts on them?

You reckon the new ones with suspension may fit them as well?

Did you had to make any modifications ?

Let me know

Regards

Neversommer.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:09 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
the flyfly Mirage struts (I am using the ones supplied with the kit) are "high" quality compared to the flyfly mb339.. which are rubbish I think. Still use them on my mb339, but only because I am too lazy to swap the with better ones

All flyfly struts I have / have seen are drilled to take 3mm rod. No mod req except cutting rod to right lenght .