HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:21 AM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I got my goggles from Range Video and not only did they come quickly, they sent me a new cord to fix some problem I didn't even have, and I didn't even have to ask for it.
Yes they have good equipment and ship fast, but are unresponsive with email kind of. I am sure it will work out fine

I just need to know a couple more things before I start. My first question is how to record my flight and upload it to youtube. I am just about to order Fatshark goggles, because after seeing my friend's, I just could not resist. Besides, I will use a buddy-box.

Also, I need a lightweight camera, looking at the HQ550 from Futurehobbies. Anybody here seen that camera?

Thanks
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:05 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
As a personal opinion, I think goggles are over rated for the price. Others disagree...

Cliff
Depends on the price you pay. I think $100 for headplays was well worth it.

Blues
Blueshy is online now Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:39 AM
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Jan 2009
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
I like the WDR camera from securitycamera2000 because it has OSD and a good price. At that price, I would recommend it above the standard OSD camera from securitycamera2000.

If you fly 1.3ghz video with 2.4ghz RC, you should get a low pass filter for your video tx antenna. 900mhz will work as is? It is better to use a lower RC frequency than 2.4ghz, but it will work. Do you have any dual conversion 72mhz FM or PCM RC stuff?

Seriously consider antenna size when deciding on video frequency.

You didn't say whether you were USA or not. North America uses NTSC cameras. Most of the rest of the world uses PAL. That small 8g camera is PAL.

That $50, 8g camera sounds too good to be true. High quality video, very low light, CMOS. CMOS genererally does not do low light. If you get one, immediately try it out in low light.

As a personal opinion, I think goggles are over rated for the price. Others disagree...

You can get an equal video link for less than half of the cost of those expensive ones.

Cliff
I live in the USA. I accidently posted the link for the PAL for the mini CMOS camera but they do have a NTSC version with the same specs. I could try it out and see how it is.

I don't have any spare dual conversion 72mhz FM or PCM RC stuff.
What do you mean " consider antenna size when deciding on video frequency"? As in replacing the stock antenna on the video rx?
Would 1.3ghz be better since I live in a suburban area and cell phone frequency might cause interference with the 900mhz tx?

Low pass filter as in this?
http://www.bevrc.com/low-pass-filter-p-250.html

I just figure bringing out a little headset is easier than setting up a tv or a monitor out on the field. Plus you wouldn't get a glare.
And Blueshy, how did you get headplays for $100?
empty_space is offline Find More Posts by empty_space
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:09 AM
Joined Jun 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_space View Post
I live in the USA. I accidently posted the link for the PAL for the mini CMOS camera but they do have a NTSC version with the same specs. I could try it out and see how it is.
Don't know about your equipment in the US, but all my equipment does both, PAL and NTSC. I usually prefer PAL since it has better resolution. Just saying that you might check the specs of your gear before deciding strictly on sticking to NTSC only. I know most (or all?) video links do both. So does most of the screens, goggles and recorders. Most OSD's swing both ways, too. Etc.
Trnquill is offline Find More Posts by Trnquill
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:24 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Yes they have good equipment and ship fast, but are unresponsive with email kind of. I am sure it will work out fine

I just need to know a couple more things before I start. My first question is how to record my flight and upload it to youtube. I am just about to order Fatshark goggles, because after seeing my friend's, I just could not resist. Besides, I will use a buddy-box.

Also, I need a lightweight camera, looking at the HQ550 from Futurehobbies. Anybody here seen that camera?

Thanks
Go back a few pages and look for my posts regarding that - I got some really great answers about options for recording. I ended up buying a $200 DVD recorder to do it, but there are some cheaper options.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:36 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
My first question is how to record my flight and upload it to youtube.
I use my laptop for a display and a recorder. I use the EasyCap for $8 from eBay. Make sure it will work with your laptop. 64 bit and Windows 7 (or Mac) require a slightly more expensive unit. The trick to using this successfully is telling it to use the MPEG codec at about 5000-6000 data rate.

After that, you need to sign up at Youtube and follow the directions. Many people here prefer Vimeo to Youtube.

Quote:
I have an Eyemax SQ560E which is about that size but has OSD. The price has gone up lately to about $85. It is small, but fairly heavy.

An OSD (configurable) camera is better because you can adjust it for the blacked out ground when looking at the sun and make it more sensitive for flying after sundown and change the white balance to always make the sky blue. This is a big, caseless, inexpensive one.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:49 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
What do you mean " consider antenna size when deciding on video frequency"? As in replacing the stock antenna on the video rx?
Size is important on the transmitter on the plane. CP antennas are the latest thing. Think of CP as shaped like a mature rose blossom, a half wavelength across, where dipoles are a stick a half wavelength long. A half wavelength is about 6 inches on 900mhz, 4 inches on 1300mhz, 2 inches on 2.4ghz, and less than an inch on 5.8ghz. Lower frequencies are better (go thru trees better and less multipath), but high frequencies have smaller antennas.

Quote:
Would 1.3ghz be better since I live in a suburban area and cell phone frequency might cause interference with the 900mhz tx?
Cells in the USA go up to 896mhz in some areas and start again around 950mhz. supposedly leaving 910 fairly free. I have used a 910 system with no problems. 910 probably affects GPS less than 1280. YMMV.

Quote:
Yes.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnquill View Post
Don't know about your equipment in the US, but all my equipment does both, PAL and NTSC. I usually prefer PAL since it has better resolution. Just saying that you might check the specs of your gear before deciding strictly on sticking to NTSC only. I know most (or all?) video links do both. So does most of the screens, goggles and recorders. Most OSD's swing both ways, too. Etc.
NTSC is 720x480@29.97FPS
PAL is 720x576@25FPS

NTSC has less vertical resolution, but more temporal resolution (less flicker).

Computers generally display the video files of both pretty well.

In my opinion, cameras bought for use in the USA should be NTSC if possible, if for no other reason than to work with TV sets here that won't work with PAL cameras.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:30 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,468 Posts
From what people have said on another thread, the BEVRC low pass filter isn't very good, and will likely attenuate your video signal somewhat. I ended up buying both that one and a bit more expensive filter, and when I set my video system up next month I'll probably try both out to see how well the work. At least that one is only $6, so you don't lose much by trying it.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
102 Posts
I think I am leaning towards the 900mhz tx/rx. I'll get the $6 low pass filter from BEVRC and see what happens. As for the camera, the 600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD for $52 looks good and pretty cheap.

Still thinking about the video glasses though. I'll have to search a bit more.
I will also look into antennas a bit more too and maybe make my own CP antenna.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:37 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
@empty space If you're thinking of CP antennas, consider the size required for 900Mhz. You may decide that antenna is too big for your plane.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
102 Posts
Yea, I was going to check that when I get back to my house, I am at work right now. I'm also thinking about putting it on one of my heli's too so a 900mhz might be too big, I'll have to check.

Does CP really help that much? If a 900mhz CP antenna is too big, think I am better off getting a 1.3ghz VTx and using a CP antenna since its smaller?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:40 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
We need a BAT SIGNAL for IBCRAZY, so he can jump into the conversations instantly with answers. I'm using 900 myself, and would like to switch to CP. There is a new design out there that is supposed to be an improvement over the clover leaf, but the 900Mhz version is 8.6 inches long. A little too large for my AXN.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:06 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
We need a BAT SIGNAL for IBCRAZY, so he can jump into the conversations instantly with answers. I'm using 900 myself, and would like to switch to CP. There is a new design out there that is supposed to be an improvement over the clover leaf, but the 900Mhz version is 8.6 inches long. A little too large for my AXN.
8.6 inches on 900 is not ... typical.

That sounds like a helical which is CP, but directional. Only for receivers.

I guess it could be some sort of 5/8 wave clover leaf.

Link?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Ok, do you mean that this HQ550 does not have OSD capability?

Ultimately (although I am a beginner) I want to use a GoPro for FPV without a doubt. I do not intend to go long range without one, so I think I'll stay away from OSD for now.

Also, I am still trying to decide on a plane. I almost bought the Funjet, but do not want to add landing gear to it... I would rather use a plane already with landing gear.

I know foam planes are better for newbies, but I hate foam- If you could, take a look at this planehttp://www.e-fliterc.com, the E flite Mini Pulse XT PNP is fast, has large-battery potential, cheap, and low complexity for balsa plane.

I will use a buddy-box, so do you think this will work well for me or is it a terrible idea?

Thanks!
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer