SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:36 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,013 Posts
this is defiantly a newbie question for you. i hope i did not miss it in this reading. i see you need a ham license for analog up to 10mw.. so are the 2.4ghz digital or analog and what are the requirements as far as legality needed for licensing.

i found this as far as AMA.. nothing is posted about having a ham license.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911761

again i appreciate all the help. thanks Andrew K
57sailplane is online now Find More Posts by 57sailplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:55 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
You need the edge mount for that transmitter.

I'm pretty certain you need a HAM license even to operate that one. Analog transmissions are limited to 10mW.
Edge mount...ok

So what is legal in the us without a HAM license?anything under 10mW?

Is there a basic FPV set up that you can recommend for someone in the US in a small city that may also have other RF noise?

Vid Tx and Rx...a camera and a recommended radio Tx.

As long as the newb provides the needed info,maybe something like this.....what distance you plan to fly,Country you will be flying in(let them know if the frequency needs a HAM license or not),and a radio Tx that will work with the FPV vid Tx and Rx.

Is there not a set up that is good enough to recommend to a new guy?

If you asked in the micro heli forum..."whats a good heli to fly in the house" you would get a reply of......."get the mSR,it's durable fun to fly and will teach you orientation which will help if you plan to stay in the heli hobby"
Of course others may recommend the 120 sr which has a slightly larger rotor disc and can be flown inside by a more experienced pilot, it is not ideal for in the house flying.

Why....isn't there a basic set up that is recommended to a newb?..it would help with being successful in FPV.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Feb 03, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:00 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
763 Posts
"HAM license" Don't have one, just find buddy with one and you can fly without it.
EugeneFlorida is online now Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:07 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Here's the reason there is never any 1 transmitter recommendation: Everyone's situation is different.

If I asked what's the best heli to buy to fly indoors I'd get recommendations on the MCX and MSR. However if I told them I intend to fly it inside a huge wide open factory, then I'll get recommendations for 250 size helis and maybe even a 400 or two.

So now to FPV.

It all depends on your RF environment. Can you measure that? Not usually.

What radio are you using? 2.4GHz is popular, but an excellent FPV video band so they don't mix. UHF and 1.2/1.3GHz don't get along either. 1.2GHz can also interfere with your 2.4GHz radio.

What country do you live in? - Some contries allow bands that others don't.

Do you have a HAM license - If you have to ask these questions above, there's a 95% chance you do not hold one and thus cannot operate legally on any band.

Where do you intend to fly? All around you? Just infront of you? In a small field? Over a large area? - This will determine what antennas are recommended.

Thus, there is no such thing as a newbie system. I actually have 4 different systems to fit different conditions. Many of us experienced pilots have more than one system and use more than one frequency.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:16 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foskje View Post
I have a little problem, I bought a microphone for my fpv system, and i have a lot of noice, and a little sound..
I bought this mic: DPC.AV
First I thought the Easycap was my problem, but I still got noice when I connect my rx to the TV...

What can be wrong?? - compability?
I am using this tx/rx from bevrc.com.

I hope someone have the answer
I disconnected the power from the camera and a lot of noice were gone... but theres still a bit noicy... what makes noice from the camera???
Foskje is offline Find More Posts by Foskje
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
"HAM license" Don't have one, just find buddy with one and you can fly without it.
If that was directed at me...i don't have a buddy with a HAM license or even a buddy that knows what FPV is...or rc for that matter!

If you have yours EugeneFlorida (looks like your call sign under your name) your more than welcome to come up here to freezing cold,deep snow New Hampshire when i figure out what vid Tx and Rx to get so i can fly with someone who does have a HAM license!

Ridgewalker
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Quote:
Here's the reason there is never any 1 transmitter recommendation: Everyone's situation is different.

If I asked what's the best heli to buy to fly indoors I'd get recommendations on the MCX and MSR. However if I told them I intend to fly it inside a huge wide open factory, then I'll get recommendations for 250 size helis and maybe even a 400 or two.

So now to FPV.

It all depends on your RF environment. Can you measure that? Not usually.

What radio are you using? 2.4GHz is popular, but an excellent FPV video band so they don't mix. UHF and 1.2/1.3GHz don't get along either. 1.2GHz can also interfere with your 2.4GHz radio.

What country do you live in? - Some contries allow bands that others don't.

Do you have a HAM license - If you have to ask these questions above, there's a 95% chance you do not hold one and thus cannot operate legally on any band.

Where do you intend to fly? All around you? Just infront of you? In a small field? Over a large area? - This will determine what antennas are recommended.

Thus, there is no such thing as a newbie system. I actually have 4 different systems to fit different conditions. Many of us experienced pilots have more than one system and use more than one frequency.

-Alex

So if i understand you correctly there is no FPV gear that can be used legally without a HAM license?

If that is true then how do so many people here in the US use an FPV set up that requires a HAM license and not get into any legal trouble?

"What country do you live in?"

USA

"What radio are you using?"

I have a DX6i....and an older 2 ch surface Futaba surface radio i use for my rc truck it is 75.950mhz, have read of the issues that can happen using the DX6i for FPV and i don't think i will use it.
I have been advised that using a Futaba 9C would be better.

BUT...I was thinking i could get a vid Tx /Rx,try it and it might work with the DX6i....not holding my breath though.(if not i could use my 2 ch Futaba with an rc truck so i could hook up the FPV gear and check it out...bench test/while i save for the better Radio Tx)....part of the reason why i was going to choose the 5.8ghz equipment.

"Where do you intend to fly?"

I intend to fly in front of my self at all times,at one end of a high school football field and fly down the field and back towards my self,

So i guess i would need a system that would be good for close flying,less than 1 mi.....1/4 mi would be good.

I would like to get the vid Tx/Rx a camera,antenna first,so i can put it all together connect to my home tv vid in and see how it looks....carry it around the house while my wife watches the screen....just check it out....then i'll get the radio Tx after i see how it all is working.

I would like to deal with rangevideo because they are here in the US( or another trusted US site)...

Would you have any recommendations on equipment ?

Thank you for your help.
Ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Feb 03, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:51 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Recommendations:

Lose the DX6i or lose your plane. The DX6i is not suitable for FPV even short range.

FPV system: Any 900MHz/500mW (FROM AN FPV VENDOR, NOT HOBBYKING) will do fine. So will the Best Offer Buy 700mW system. I fly both of these and like them.

Vendors in the U.S. - www.dpcav.com, www.readymaderc.com, www.rangevideo.com

I deal with dpcav and readymaderc typically, but have had good experience with range video as well.

-Alex
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:55 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Recommendations:

Lose the DX6i or lose your plane. The DX6i is not suitable for FPV even short range

-Alex

can you elaborate on this please
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Thanks IBCrazy,

Would the Futaba 72.950mhz i have be ok with 900mhz,i think it would because the 9C is 72 mhz.

Like i said i was told that a Futaba 9C 72mhz would be a radio to get for FPV.....i only intended to "try" on a rc truck in the back yard with the DX6i while i gather funds to buy a Futaba 9C.

Before i asked here i searched "DX6i for FPV" here in the FPV forum....i did read many times someone wanting to know if they can use a DX6i for FPV and time after time it is suggested not to use it.

So about the time i get that understood i see a post like this...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...v#post16275729

And it seemed that the DX6i was working out at the time....heck,i would be happy with the quality seen in the second vid.

So when a new guy does a search and comes across a thread like that....the new guy becomes very confused..lol

The new guy is told not to use the DX6i but then see's a vid or two of it being used???

It sure would be nice to be able to use the Spektrum DX6i 2.4Ghz for short range FPV.

However...i thank you for your help and advice, and will stick to my plan to get a better radio for the job.

Ridgewalker
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:06 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
I get 2 miles out of both my Futaba 9CAP and my JR XP6102 radio with a cheap Corona RX. The DX6i can barely make it out of sight with no FPV gear. Add the noisy FPV transmitter and you cut the reliable range to 600 feet. The filtering capability of park flyer RX's is appalling. The sensitivity is so poor it boggles the mind. I've seen the DX6i lose a plane 300 feet away repeatedly with no FPV gear at all. On the other hand there are several other 2.4GHz transmitter/receivers that I have seen perform incredibly well.

2 miles on a cheap Corona 72MHz RX with 42% signal strength remaining:

2 Mile Record FPV Flight (3 min 10 sec)

-Alex
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Sorry to hear have so much trouble with a DX6i even without FPV gear.
I have never had any trouble with range.

Is this the radio you have...the FM one.....http://www.rchobbies.org/jr-6102.htm??
The field where you land is the size area that i fly in and intend to FPV,but nowhere near as high as you did!
Probably only double the height of the trees.
Your long range vid is nice to watch....but that kind of range is not what i want to do at this time...but i like to watch it!!...thanks for sweating bullets for me to see that vid!!

So now i have two choices..Futaba 9C or JR XP6102...

"On the other hand there are several other 2.4GHz transmitter/receivers that I have seen perform incredibly well."

With 900mhz...Which ones?

Ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Feb 04, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:44 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,842 Posts
I started out with a dx6i with a 6200 rx and easily flew around fpv within a 1 km radius.

don't be to scared to use what you have to start with.

even with a 1.2/1.3 video tx it does work and them being not set up as they should be.

Just simply don't fly too far away and try to post your set ups here on rc groups for others to see and give their opinion.

dx6i with 6200 rx does work for fpv no problem at closer range less than 1 km away
but separate the rx away from all stuff as far away as possable

the satelite rx can be extended with wires for the furthest distance out on the tail or wing, position it in a vertical position

just do not fly to far away and you can enjoy fpv with a dx6i at not too far of a distance

as ama rules or maac rules go, the dx6i works just fine for fpv

edit
here is a video of one of my tests long ago when I first started out
it is not flown fpv but was a test to see if systems worked or how they looked at the review when watching the video after, I actually never flown fpv at the time this video was made but just stuck on the video fpv stuff and did testing, this was with a dx6i
and 1.2/1.3 for video
as you can see, fpv with a dx6i is for sure possable, with an ez star as an example you will be able to fly around no problem within a certain boundary

with lots of more testing etc. now I can fly long range no problem but have switched to uhf and set up planes and ground stations as best I can

Twist 40 testing FPV set up on a nitro plane very windy (4 min 4 sec)
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Last edited by David22; Feb 04, 2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:49 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I started out with a dx6i with a 6200 rx and easily flew around fpv within a 1 km radius.

don't be to scared to use what you have to start with.

even with a 1.2/1.3 video tx it does work and them being not set up as they should be.

Just simply don't fly too far away and try to post your set ups here on rc groups for others to see and give their opinion.

dx6i with 6200 rx does work for fpv no problem at closer range less than 1 km away
but separate the rx away from all stuff as far away as possable

the satelite rx can be extended with wires for the furthest distance out on the tail or wing, position it in a vertical position

just do not fly to far away and you can enjoy fpv with a dx6i at not too far of a distance

as ama rules or maac rules go, the dx6i works just fine for fpv
David,
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Whats the advantage of placing the GPS module vertically?

Cheers.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:53 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Thanks David22,

I am trying to decide which FPV gear to get.

Right now i am looking at 1.3ghz...http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=259and 900mhz...http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=258

I was just reading of how a home phone on 900mhz can cause inteference,so i had also read that 1.3 would be better.

Still got reading to do but those are the two i am looking at.

To bad i couldn't hack one of those wireless driveway security cams to increase their range...lol haha

Ridgewalker

EDIT:
David...that looks like the kind of range i am talking about!
How about the image quality...it looked kind of shaded..is that due to the type of camera used?
Could a "better" camera be used and get a better pic?
I would be very happy with that set up you have there.

Time to sell/trade my 450 heli.
Last edited by ridgewalker; Feb 04, 2011 at 03:09 AM.