HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
Buy a cheap CASED camera first. I went through two uncased cameras when I started out in FPV. My current cased KX-131 has been through a few crashes and is still ticking along.

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...ide-2.1mm.html

^^ $52 for the camera above as an example. Yes Hobby King sells the same uncased one for $16 + S&H.. However you'll be lucky if it survives a crash!

On a side note, don't we have a FPV Wiki?
you have tried that, right?

and it survives in a crash?
luna27 is offline Find More Posts by luna27
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
I don't know about that. I have wrecked at least 50 times, most of them with a board camera encased in a small balsa box (not much protection). To date I have destroyed 2 of them. One got destroyed by me reversing the power to it (doh!) and the other got destroyed by me slamming it into a concrete post at 60 mph. Not even a cased camera would have survived either of those.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Range is not the question you need to ask. It's "will I have usable video at XXX distance?" People seem to think range will determine video quality, which is not necessarily the case. You should get 150 meters of good video, 300 meters of video that will get fuzzy and disrupted from time to time, but usable. I would try to find a slightly more powerful TX. Maybe 200mW.

-Alex
for the camera, wut is the most important?

powerful good TX,do you have any good recommendation?
luna27 is offline Find More Posts by luna27
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:01 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
145 Posts
I have a little problem, I bought a microphone for my fpv system, and i have a lot of noice, and a little sound..
I bought this mic: DPC.AV
First I thought the Easycap was my problem, but I still got noice when I connect my rx to the TV...

What can be wrong?? - compability?
I am using this tx/rx from bevrc.com.

I hope someone have the answer
Foskje is offline Find More Posts by Foskje
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:59 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foskje View Post
I have a little problem, I bought a microphone for my fpv system, and i have a lot of noice, and a little sound..
I bought this mic: DPC.AV
First I thought the Easycap was my problem, but I still got noice when I connect my rx to the TV...

What can be wrong?? - compability?
I am using this tx/rx from bevrc.com.

I hope someone have the answer
when you say lots of noise little sound, I presume you have a lot of wind noise and little plane sound.
When the plane is on the floor can you hear yourself or others talking near you ? if so, cover the microphone with foam and tape to isolate it from the wind. the wind it blowing so hard on the mike that it is saturating the resulting audio signal.
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:08 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
first off thank you so much for making this thread man this take some of the mystery out of it. not that i have a great understanding of it yet and the different words i have learned are not yet first term basis i kind of got the idea.

i am looking into building a system and putting onto a skywalker seem like the best beginner set up and most stable.

since i want something i can expand upon i was looking at NEW GENERATION HOBBY stuff.

i am flying with a 72mhz jr radio and live in Nebraska in rural area. so i no the choice is mine but still unsure as what would be better as far as building the best long range system down the road.

what i have read is the 2.4ghz can be interfered with by wifi, so what kind of distance are we talking 500ft from wifi or is there no way of knowing of the interference distance.

the other frequ i was looking at is the 5.8ghz. this is the newest to my understanding. my second question if i go this rout what are the draw backs. is there not enough stuff on the market to build a system of this nature or what. oh and what kind of interference should i worry about with this system. dose wifi play a part or anything of this nature.

thanks for the help Andrew K
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:20 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
You can make any system into a long range system. It's all in the antennas. 2.4GHz has the best antenna selection, but you can make your own very easily for 900MHz and 1.3GHz. I do custom antennas on all bands and have tutorials in my blog on how to do it. I also make and sell certain antennas.

If you are in a rural area 2.4GHz is probably your best option. Wifi traffic is minimal and the antenna selection is exceptional.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
well,

then if i am looking at 2.4ghz another question arises. i understand the rx antenna is were you get most of you long range from but i see lawmate makes a 500mw and a 1watt transmitter with a 72mhz rc system what if any would be the pros or cons of going with the lesser wattage unit or the upper wattage unit for that matter.

thanks again Andrew K
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:24 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,470 Posts
It takes 4x the power to go twice the distance, so you don't really gain much
by going from 500mW to 1000mW.
It takes 6dB of antenna gain to go twice the distance and that's the difference between
an omni and typical patch antenna. It's a cheaper and easier route.
You told me you were looking for 2-3 mile radius. That's easily achievable at 500mW
with a patch on the Rx in a rural area.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
thanks ian,

is there any reason not to go with the 1w unit other then price? i am just saying if the price is the only issue then why would i not want the more powerful unit to begin with..

i read that a more powerful transmitter can mess with your rc rx but in this case i would be running at differant frequancies. can the more powerful unit interfeer even though the differance in frequ.

thanks again andrew K..
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:48 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
More RF power will hurt your RC range. Besides, there are many devices out there to help track your airplane such as diversity and antenna trackers. However 1 Watt isn't much power really. It's your choice. I would likely opt for 1 Watt, but the most I ever flew with is 800mW.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:44 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
5.8ghz

Hello
I am considering this A/V Tx.....http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=217

And this Rx......http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=213

Which would be a better one to use...a vertical or edge mount SMA connector?
Here is a link to what i am talking about....http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...dex&cPath=7_58

I chose 5.8 because i sometimes fly with in one mile of cell towers and other RF noise found in a small city or near a school football field.
Just flying close by in the field...not out of my LOS.......
I may also try it on an RC truck just to get the feel for it and check it out...but it will be mainly for my plane...Is this a good choice?

Also i don't believe i need a HAM license,if i like FPV, i'm sure i will upgrade and at that time i will get the license

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Feb 02, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 06:23 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
You need the edge mount for that transmitter.

I'm pretty certain you need a HAM license even to operate that one. Analog transmissions are limited to 10mW.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:47 AM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
ok, I am new to this and getting a FPV system together without breaking the bank. I just ordered a 200mw , 900mhz. tx/rx system withy low res board cam and I have a bloggie I may hook up to do FPV as well as recording. What I need now is an OSD! I don't want to spend much and when I look at Eagle tree you need like 3 or 4 things to make it work, all cost too much. Then I saw the Cyclops Easy OSD for about $115 with the gps module? is this a decent system? what would you sugget for an economical OSD system?
Also IBcrazy, how much would you charge to make me a good 900mhz. antenna? either a patch or one of those tracking antennas you make!
Thanks again guys.
RChelisrule is offline Find More Posts by RChelisrule
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:56 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
The only OSDs I can speak for is the Remzibi OSD (which I fly) and the EZ OSD. Both are inexpensive and work well. The Remzibi has more configurations options but the EZ OSD is easier.

You can refer to my blog for all the antennas I make or you can check here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348400

-Alex
RCG Plus Member