HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:08 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark View Post
Is there any proposal for a fpv model capable for extreme flight. I have ordered a falcon http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288385 and it's on the way but I think it's better a model having rudder with a big crash resistance. Something like this but with larger wingspan
Now we are talking! I have given this some thought and it boils down to what you want to achieve for recording purposes and how far up the aerobatic scale you want to go.

A lot of these FPV planes are capable of simple and sometimes even complex aerobatics but the more equipment that cram into them they become too heavy and under powered for the more complicated flying.

My Skywalker is pretty nimble and can do most basic aerobatics like loops, rolls and spins very well but I run a very light and basic setup with no frills. I think a lot of the Skywalkers out there are quite a bit heavier than mine and probably would be a hand full and/or break in a some aerobatic situations. Vid with rolls and aerobatic-ish flying with my SW:
FPV 2 - Air to Ground (4 min 46 sec)

The main reason I use a Skywalker is that it can carry a full size GoPro and other video equipment and primarily because the prop is in the back and out of the way of the camera. If you did not care about the prop then you can FPV with any aerobatic plane you felt comfortable putting FPV gear on. That 3D plane you mentioned would be a good option (i would prefer the actual Telink version versus the clone - http://www.telink.eu/). As soon as I wipe out my Skywalker one of my 48" Extreme Flight planes is going FPV flying just for fun

I think the more you go up the aerobatics complication ladder the more head tracking/pan-tilt becomes important. I have had one crash where I was turning faster than my FOV could see what was coming around the corner. Pan-tilt/head tracking would have prevented that and would become doubly important in 3D!

However, because I still have a need for the video camera to be free from prop arcs I have looked at some of these as a next option:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/newsibo5051a.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/twinengine.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/sadler-vampire-sv-2.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/81a801-formost550.html

The problem with the above IMO is that with the pointy nose birds you are going to significantly mess up the aerodynamics with big protruding cameras. None of them are particularly 3D. Twins are PITA IMO (added complication at least).
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
OK, I have a 9v onboard FPV system. can I run this on strait 3s? without a 9v regulator or do you think a 2s would work since it's just a bit short fully charged? (8.4v). I can use 9v batteries but I would much rather use a 2s lipo since I have several. If I need a 3s I'll buy a little 600mah but that would be 12.6v seems a bit much for a 9v system without regulation. But I am wondering if the camera and tx are like the rx. it works with anything from 9v-12v. so it will work on a 2 or 3s battery but works better on a 3s. I don't want to burn up my camera and tx testing it out though so hopefully someone might have some insight.
RChelisrule is offline Find More Posts by RChelisrule
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:16 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Use a ua7809 voltage regulator and 3S Lipo. 2S stand alone would be a little low. What FPV system do you have that uses 9V?
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:55 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Question for the hams...

Do you carry a handheld or somesuch to check that no one is on your frequency before transmitting video? Seems to me it would be proper to listen for a few minutes and maybe call CQ before stepping on the frequency for a solid 30+ minutes. Then again these are very low power transmissions so another operator would have to be pretty close by to get any QRM from it.

Any thoughts?

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:17 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
I simply turn on my ground station and scan for interference with my TX off. My DIY antenna tracker automatically locates nearby transmissions, but anybody else could just scan the field with their antenna manually. Our bands are ATV (Amatuer TV) bands and used mainly for video transmission. Thus if you see nothing, then you are unlikely to step on another person's transmission.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:53 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Ok guys here is my noob question
all my rc gear is 2.4 Now I was planing on using 800mw 900mhz video system and my gopro hd camera but I am trying to place my order for all my gear and having a hard time picking goggles. I like the headplay ones because they are 720p but they are wired so than I was looking at the Fat Shark 5.8GHz RCV922 Aviator Edition ones from readymaderc.com but will they hook up to my 900mhz video reciver? if so how Thanks
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,466 Posts
If you don't plan on using the 5.8GHz internal reciever you shouldn't buy those. The BASE version is less expensive.

However, why can't you use the HP? Wired, do you mean power supply or video? If it's power you can solve that by using an extra battery to power the goggles. If it's video then it's no different from the Fatsharks, you will still need to use an external 900MHz VRx and have a video wire between the VRx and the goggles. In any case I wouldn't buy the other goggles, I would keep the HP.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
I meant is there a way to hook the Fatshark 5.8 transmiter to my900mhz VRx so the signal would come from the plane into my 900mhz reciver then sent back out through the 5.8ghz Fatshark transmiter to my goggles this way I am not wired to my base station?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:24 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
I meant is there a way to hook the Fatshark 5.8 transmiter to my900mhz VRx so the signal would come from the plane into my 900mhz reciver then sent back out through the 5.8ghz Fatshark transmiter to my goggles this way I am not wired to my base station?
Connect the ouptut from your 900MHz system to the 5.8 video Tx...voila, wireless goggles! Now you can have huge 900 Mhz anetnnas, Rx, trackers, diversity, laptops, and all the other kung-fu everyone seems to have these days and not trip all over yourself.

scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
...you can have huge 900 Mhz anetnnas, Rx, trackers, diversity, laptops, and all the other kung-fu everyone seems to have these days and not trip all over yourself.

Sounds like a guy with antenna envy.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:38 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Connect the ouptut from your 900MHz system to the 5.8 video Tx...voila, wireless goggles! Now you can have huge 900 Mhz anetnnas, Rx, trackers, diversity, laptops, and all the other kung-fu everyone seems to have these days and not trip all over yourself.

Speaking of diversity would this work just as well as two recivers and a Diversity controller ?
http://www.fpvhobby.com/91-multi-ant...connector.html
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:50 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
Sounds like a guy with antenna envy.

kendall
LOLs...

Indeed.

scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
Speaking of diversity would this work just as well as two recivers and a Diversity controller ?
http://www.fpvhobby.com/91-multi-ant...connector.html
NO! That is the biggest lie from any vendor I have seen. Using that stub is the worst thing you could possibly do for your video.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Use a ua7809 voltage regulator and 3S Lipo. 2S stand alone would be a little low. What FPV system do you have that uses 9V?
I actually bought this just to try out some very short range FPY to make sure I liked it before spending hundreds
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Unfortunatly I can't get it to work at all!! I am useing a 9v until I get a voltage regulator but no dice. The reciever comes on but I cannot get the tx and camera to send the signal. I don't know which is broken becouse there are no "power lights" on either??? can anyone help me? any ideas?
RChelisrule is offline Find More Posts by RChelisrule
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:24 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Many of us have told FPV hobby that that splitter is totally bogus. They even had the nerve to Email me and ask why they were getting flamed about it yet still claim it as "diversity". It is total crap and anyone who would rip off others like that won't get a dime from me.

Here's what I told Andan in response to his asking "why bother with diversity? Why not this stub?":

It is actually about far worse than one antenna. Here's why:

First, the RX is looking for a 50 ohm impedance. Two 50 ohm antennas in parallel would be 25 ohm impedance. This equates to a 3db drop in performance right off from the start.

The other problem is interference. The signal will be received at separate times at different signal strengths. Even if the signal hits both antennas at exactly the same time and in phase (which will not happen by the way) the directional antenna has several feet of coaxial cable that slows the transmission of the signal on it's way to the RX, thus delaying the signal several cycles causing guaranteed destructive interference.

In other words, if it sounds to good to be true, it likely is.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member