HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 01:43 PM
Latvia, Rīgas pilsēta, Riga
Joined Aug 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
800 should work then I assume that you were running out of range with the Frsky, not the video link? The video TX power may have been drowning out the 2.4 rc connection. They make filters to help with that.

I usually can get 3 miles on Omni whips on the 400mw video tx, so there is no reason that a 800mw would fail at 1.4km, unless it is faulty, antenna is broke, or something of the sort.
I suppose the fault was a combination of smaller problems - the cables in the bixler were not shielded, the Vtx and Rx were rather close to each other (around 50cm).
At 1.2kms I was running out of frsky range, but the video was also getting noticably worse.
This time I'm trying to build the plane as good as I can at the moment...
But still - what antennas would you guys recommend for the Rx on the plane?
AndroidLV is offline Find More Posts by AndroidLV
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2014, 03:22 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidLV View Post
The APM helps a lot - it sets clear boundaries - RTL kicks in as a failsafe.
Keep in mind that is not very reliable. You must ALWAYS be ready to take manual control. Don't fly ten miles away and think the APM is going to save you, it won't.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 07, 2014, 03:33 PM
Joined Aug 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Keep in mind that is not very reliable. You must ALWAYS be ready to take manual control. Don't fly ten miles away and think the APM is going to save you, it won't.
Thanks for the advice!
I'm aware of that - I use RTL only to show the boundaries, as a failsafe measure. If the RTL kicks in, I take control as soon as I'm in the range again.
Then again RTL can be useful right after launch - plane keeps loiterint overhead, so there is a time to put on the goggles..
Old Jan 08, 2014, 11:20 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
+1 Don't rely on RTH alone to save your plane. It has no see and avoid capabilities and also doesn't do well when GPS lock gets weak or in high cross winds. The best RTH is between your goggles and your shoes

Loitering mode, IMO is an excellent way to save a plane. At worst, the plane stays where you last saw it.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2014, 12:22 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
Alex what cabling do you use for goggles to Rx? Been trying to find a soft multistrand cable. Most of the 6e cables are stiff.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 08, 2014, 02:55 PM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
no wires

Quote:
Hi guys!

At the moment I'm slowly building my first built-by-myself fpv plane - the fpv raptor.
My first fpv plane was bixler, but I bought it fully built and trimmed, so this is the first build for me.
The setup will include APM 2.5, 1.3GHz Vtx with 3-lobe CL on the plane and 4-lobe or maybe a helical on the GS. The VTx is 800mw BevRC unit.
On control side I'll be using t9x with er9x soft with frsky module and V8FR2 Rx, and I plan on using a 2w wifi booster. I'm hoping for ~10km range.
The VTx will be on one wing (close to the tip), the Rx will be on the other - about 130-140cm apart from each other.
The question is - what control Rx antenna would you recommend?

On the GS i'm planning to use the 5g8 Tx/Rx for linking the VRx with Attitude V2 goggles, so technically I won't be standing close to 1.3GHz VRx antenna, and the booster should not interfere with it too badly (at least I hope so).
So if you have the base station on 1.3 and select the Attitude over the Base Goggles, you wont need to be wired to the base station? that might be cool, the Attitude is about 100 more than the base goggles I think? I want the best quality view.
wingsabove is offline Find More Posts by wingsabove
Old Jan 08, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2013
71 Posts
The Attitudes are my first goggles, so I have nothing to compare them with, but I have to say that I'm fully satisfied. And I'm planning to use them for fpv plane (via setup mentioned above), and also for other fpv purposes - my tricopter and ground vehicle, using only 5g8.

Today I received a pack of laptop wifi antennas - I'll try to put them on the plane Rx - maybe that helps to improve range.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
I've got a pair of these GS920 goggles. For most flights, I'm using an external VRX routed into the GS920 AV port.

For these flights I do not use the GS920 internal VRX at all. I have been mounting an antenna on the internal VRX though, just in case running the goggles without an antenna might fry the unit.

I'd like to start operating the GS920 goggles without using an on board antenna (I'd just leave a plastic cap on the on board connector).

Is this safe to do?

Thanks!

[Edit] Answering my own query, the consensus from PMs I have received: -- yes, it is almost certainly safe, as the VRX antenna is a passive circuit. No antenna is the same, as far as the VRX is concerned, as no signal.
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Last edited by syzygyQ; Jan 10, 2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:45 PM
Gravity always laughs last
USA, PA, Milford
Joined Feb 2008
255 Posts
RTH and autopilot waypoints

Right now I have a simple OSD and want to upgrade to something with OSD/Autopilot and use waypoints & RTH.

My goal is to set waypoints to follow a river and return. I can't find in any of the manuals I read for various autopilots if RTH follows a straight line back to origin or can it follow the waypoints back. The way I read them RTH is a straight line back.

Would like to fly low, below 500 ft.
cadzilla is offline Find More Posts by cadzilla
Old Jan 08, 2014, 08:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys!

The setup will include APM 2.5, 1.3GHz Vtx with 3-lobe CL on the plane and 4-lobe or maybe a helical on the GS. The VTx is 800mw BevRC unit.
On control side I'll be using t9x with er9x soft with frsky module and V8FR2 Rx, and I plan on using a 2w wifi booster. I'm hoping for ~10km range.
The VTx will be on one wing (close to the tip), the Rx will be on the other - about 130-140cm apart from each other.
The question is - what control Rx antenna would you recommend?

On the GS i'm planning to use the 5g8 Tx/Rx for linking the VRx with Attitude V2 goggles, so technically I won't be standing close to 1.3GHz VRx antenna, and the booster should not interfere with it too badly (at least I hope so).
Am I correct in understanding that you plan to use a 2W 2.4ghz booster? If so, well, I occasionally use a 1W 2.4ghz booster and can attest that while it does produce increased control range, it also comes with issues. The booster is one more thing that can get hot and fail, and 2.4ghz has multiple issues for aircraft control beyond park flyer range.

You can get easier to manage equipment with greater reliability in the UHF range (for around the same price or less).
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Last edited by syzygyQ; Jan 09, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 02:07 AM
Joined Aug 2013
71 Posts
ArduFlyer 2.5 (aka APM 2.5 clone) seems to be a good value - and it's open source platform, so there is more info on what-to and how-to. I think it's a very flexible FC.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 11:16 AM
Joined Sep 2013
372 Posts
Which one of those should I get? I've heard the 1.3ghz only version is better but read somewhere else the 900-1.3ghz version to be better... I'm planning on using 1.3ghz transmitters only

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1020

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=911
juanej is online now Find More Posts by juanej
Old Jan 09, 2014, 11:41 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
772 Posts
If you plan to use UHF for R/C go with the first link (racewood rx's are better in dealing with UHF interference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanej View Post
Which one of those should I get? I've heard the 1.3ghz only version is better but read somewhere else the 900-1.3ghz version to be better... I'm planning on using 1.3ghz transmitters only

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1020

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=911
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Meadowbrook
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
crius AIO firmware

Hey Fellas. I have a spare Crius AIO and I would like to use it and its GPS to bring my Sky Eye back to me should I choose. Is there a good fixed wing firmware for these FC boards ?
Thanks.
Pete.
jonesy40001 is offline Find More Posts by jonesy40001
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:32 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
This is pretty cool...it just needs to get smaller...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20864...eo-selfie.html
Film yourself... automatically with SOLOSHOT (1 min 32 sec)
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member