SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:15 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Futaba R127DF receivers aren't so bad.

A couple weeks ago I posted some receiver range tests where the worst one was a Futaba R127DF.

I have re-tested, using a different R127DF and again with the same R127DF. The results show that the R127DF has range approximately equal to the others, with PCM receivers perhaps being more immune to noise and receivers with longer antennas (stock or otherwise) having better range.

I have corrected my posts.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; Jun 14, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:55 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hi
Thanks and yes the transmitter gets very hot instantly of course it was stationary when I tested it but I intend to put it in a place on the wing where it should cool off. All of my other compenents form RV seem to be OK, so do you think it is possible the tx could be defective?

I really want to fly with the system but if I use it now the plane will wilthout a doubt crash.

PS. This testing is being done inside my house. Could this be the problem? It shouldn't because there are no walls or obstacles in between the antennaes- also there are no cell phones in the area.

Thanks!
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:34 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
Okay, I have now posted the pictures of the bestofferbuy system. Enjoy...by the way what should I set this to just to make sure I'm legal? Thanks.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post18503798

I just left the jumper off and put this on channel 9. I plug the receiver in the wall outlet and it seems to work just fine. The LED's are red on both the wall wart and the receiver which is good since I hate those blue LED's. The wall wart LED is pretty bright, but not the receiver itself which is probably fine since you won't be looking at either, but it's just nice anyway.

The other good news is that bestofferbuy is pretty good in terms of responding to emails. I just got an email saying my other two missing items have been shipped today. I did pay for the tracking number on this whole order so that helps a bit I guess. But shipping takes a little while from them from what I can tell, but so far so good in case anyone else is wondering.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Jun 15, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:57 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Okay, I have now posted the pictures of the bestofferbuy system. Enjoy...by the way what should I set this to just to make sure I'm legal? Thanks.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post18503798

I just left the jumper off and put this on channel 9.
If you have a HAM license, then you're legal. Channel 9 (no jumpers) is a legal U.S. HAM radio band.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:00 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
Ah thanks Alex, but I don't have one, so what should I use then? I was going by the info on the product site that cliff left about the only US channels we could use. I'll need to use a computer jumper because my jumper broke when I tried fixing it. It was too loose on the pins.

By the way, what is the A., C and I forget the other setting on the receiver mean? I think the A with the dot just scans the channels, but I don't have a clue as to what the other two are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
If you have a HAM license, then you're legal. Channel 9 (no jumpers) is a legal U.S. HAM radio band.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Jun 15, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Nov 2010
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Being you are into small helis I would say your first consideration would be FPV frequency as that controls the size of the transmitter antenna and somewhat the weight of the airborne package. 5.8ghz is nice for it's small antennas, but remember that it is almost required to put Circularly Polarized antennas on it. Reports of the users of the 200mw version say the range with CP omnis is 3km. With omni CP antennas you should get 2km on that 100mw version.

If you can lift several ounces (say 4) for a complete FPV system including camera, transmitter, and antenna, I would point to my earlier post which includes a 1280mhz video link. The extra battery is not strictly required. You can use your motor battery if it is 12 volts (3 cell Lipo). This does not include any display device. For your display I recommend the EasyCap video to usb converter and a laptop as that is by far the best bang (display and record simultaneously) for the buck ($7 shipped on eBay for the XP 32 bit version) if you already have a laptop. You will need a cardboard dark box to use a laptop in sunlight.

I tend to buy cheaper individual items rather than more expensive packages, so I can't help you with package deals. There are probably as many opinions as there are systems out there. It is like asking "what car should I buy".

Good luck.

Cliff
Thanks Cliff. I guess I was just trying to get the 'go ahead' for this system from experienced folk like your kind self. I think I will spend more time to look around and try to imagine what 'FPV life' I could best live with and grow into. In the car analogy I'd now be imagining if I preferred a driving life in a sports car, suv or a practical station wagon or mpv . Then again I may just "jump in" and get a kit and build upon that over time... and cost.
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Ah thanks Alex, but I don't have one, so what should I use then? I was going by the info on the product site that cliff left about the only US channels we could use. I'll need to use a computer jumper because my jumper broke when I tried fixing it. It was too loose on the pins.

By the way, what is the A., C and I forget the other setting on the receiver mean? I think the A with the dot just scans the channels, but I don't have a clue as to what the other two are.
That is Hex notation. A = 10, B = 11, ect.

You need a HAM radio license to transmit any video over 10 mW (25 if you use 5.8GHz). That's it. You need to get one to be legal. Look up HAM radio exams on Google to find a local testing place. They cost $15 and are good for life. Take a bunch of practice exams and you'll be fine.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:25 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
I always wondered about HAM radios...ahh, more homework...haha...so what does this system transmit at since I have no clue and never used something like this or even a HAM. So if I test this as is, will someone come knocking on my door? I'm in the city but nowhere near an airport. Maybe just a whole lot more interference with all the communication antennas and things like that, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That is Hex notation. A = 10, B = 11, ect.

You need a HAM radio license to transmit any video over 10 mW (25 if you use 5.8GHz). That's it. You need to get one to be legal. Look up HAM radio exams on Google to find a local testing place. They cost $15 and are good for life. Take a bunch of practice exams and you'll be fine.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:55 AM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hi
Thanks and yes the transmitter gets very hot instantly of course it was stationary when I tested it but I intend to put it in a place on the wing where it should cool off. All of my other compenents form RV seem to be OK, so do you think it is possible the tx could be defective?

I really want to fly with the system but if I use it now the plane will wilthout a doubt crash.

PS. This testing is being done inside my house. Could this be the problem? It shouldn't because there are no walls or obstacles in between the antennaes- also there are no cell phones in the area.

Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:54 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
Hey, take a look at this case...looks interesting, but does anyone have a cheaper one. Maybe I'll just get a case and try something like this. Not now though. But I'm sure a box works just as well...haha
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/FP...d-station.html
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:38 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Hi

Thanks!
I don't like the transmitter getting very hot instantly. What is the transmitter power? It sounds like you need to talk to the company you bought it from.

Testing in a house could cause interference. Try "line of sight" outside, but don't get your hopes up too high.

Cliff
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:46 PM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Hey, take a look at this case...looks interesting, but does anyone have a cheaper one. Maybe I'll just get a case and try something like this. Not now though. But I'm sure a box works just as well...haha
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/FP...d-station.html
For best picture I use a longer shade and smaller opening for my face only.

Cliff
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:48 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
I don't like the transmitter getting very hot instantly. What is the transmitter power? It sounds like you need to talk to the company you bought it from.

Testing in a house could cause interference. Try "line of sight" outside, but don't get your hopes up too high.

Cliff
Hi

Yes the tx gets very hot instantly, hot enough to burn your hand, probably in a matter of a minute-and-a-half or two minutes! Output power is 800mhw, pretty high. Also, I was once testing the system (a coulpe days ago) and something wierd happened: I heard a popping noise and noticed my battery (1000mah 3s lipo) was VERY hot and it was sizzling steam! I was nervous to try it again the next day but since then it has not happened and the system seems Ok...
Not sure what to do... but I am now convinced that there is something wrong with the tx... I just e-mailed RV and am expecting a response- Do you think it is likely they will replace my product? Are they usually good about those kind of things?

Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Hi

Yes the tx gets very hot instantly, hot enough to burn your hand, probably in a matter of a minute-and-a-half or two minutes! Output power is 800mhw, pretty high. Also, I was once testing the system (a coulpe days ago) and something wierd happened: I heard a popping noise and noticed my battery (1000mah 3s lipo) was VERY hot and it was sizzling steam! I was nervous to try it again the next day but since then it has not happened and the system seems Ok...
Not sure what to do... but I am now convinced that there is something wrong with the tx... I just e-mailed RV and am expecting a response- Do you think it is likely they will replace my product? Are they usually good about those kind of things?

Thanks
Reading RangeVideo's page about 800mw transmitter, it does use 12 volts, so you are OK there, but there is no way it should draw enough current to make a 1000mah battery get hot. That would even melt insulation off of power wires. I see that it can get to 60C temperature on 12 volts, but it was probably a lot hotter than than. RangeVideo may want to know how far it works when you range test it outside in "line of sight". This is the system that only works about 10 feet indoors, correct?

Something is wrong. You need to see what RangeVideo can do for you.

Cliff
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:12 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
Reading RangeVideo's page about 800mw transmitter, it does use 12 volts, so you are OK there, but there is no way it should draw enough current to make a 1000mah battery get hot. That would even melt insulation off of power wires. I see that it can get to 60C temperature on 12 volts, but it was probably a lot hotter than than. RangeVideo may want to know how far it works when you range test it outside in "line of sight". This is the system that only works about 10 feet indoors, correct?

Something is wrong. You need to see what RangeVideo can do for you.

Cliff
Hi

When I tested the transmitter it was indoors because I am still waiting on my video goggles which should arrive any day. (nghobbies) The monitor I used was a TV. I noticed that even right next to the reciever the tx still gives me problems- I am going to see if RV will replace my transmitter but am just trying to figure out what happened before I get a new one.

Thanks for the help!

By the way yes the system works ~ten feet indoors steadliy but if I am say twenty feet away I might still get a clear picture but only if I "find a spot" where it works if that makes any sense.