HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:22 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Thanks. Yes logged in I get the $319 price as well as their is stock showing. Still only $20 cheaper plus duties and shipping delays posisbly.

The other 5.8 goggles don;t include the Tx however so bit more pricey.

Still my biggest question is the range on these stock?

I've got an email in to Zoltan yesterday morning but so far no reply
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:07 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Range is not the question you need to ask. It's "will I have usable video at XXX distance?" People seem to think range will determine video quality, which is not necessarily the case. You should get 150 meters of good video, 300 meters of video that will get fuzzy and disrupted from time to time, but usable. I would try to find a slightly more powerful TX. Maybe 200mW.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:16 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Range is not the question you need to ask. It's "will I have usable video at XXX distance?" People seem to think range will determine video quality, which is not necessarily the case. You should get 150 meters of good video, 300 meters of video that will get fuzzy and disrupted from time to time, but usable. I would try to find a slightly more powerful TX. Maybe 200mW.

-Alex
Thanks. That is really what I meant, usable range I guess.

Would I be better off maybe going with a 900MHz 500mW system such as http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....aa322f3990e34f with the Fat Shark RCV922 V2 Base Edition goggles? Price is about the same, just not an all in one unit I guess.

I'd like to get something with decent performance for 500-600m if possible but still keep it relatively portable.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:31 AM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Thanks. That is really what I meant, usable range I guess.

Would I be better off maybe going with a 900MHz 500mW system such as http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....aa322f3990e34f with the Fat Shark RCV922 V2 Base Edition goggles? Price is about the same, just not an all in one unit I guess.

I'd like to get something with decent performance for 500-600m if possible but still keep it relatively portable.
I also have the base edition. I prefer choosing vtx-vrx. 500mw can be also used for a long range fpv. You can go 500m away with stock antenna.
kstmark is offline Find More Posts by kstmark
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark View Post
You can go 500m away with stock antenna.
Not necessarily true. Noise floor is huge and unpredicatble. Let me explain:

I was testing out some RX modules after a SAW filter replacement one day with kirk222 switching between RX units on my trimersion headset. I was using a more powerful base station to maintain video for testing purposes. it was also Kirk's first time under the hood.

Kirk was showing a range of 2500 feet (about 750 meters) with an L-com 3dbi dipole on the RX before video went out.

A couple of months ago, I went to maiden a new plane standing in the exact same spot with the same RX and antenna that achieved 2500 feet a few months earlier. I only got 500 feet... 20% of the previous range when nothing changed! I tried another site a couple of days earlier with Kevin Hines and the same thing: 500 feet and gone.

Both times I tried different RX units to no avail. I then hooked the RX units up to my antenna tracking base station and the video range once again exceeded my 2 mile transmitter range.

What changed? The noise floor. Why? I have no idea. All I know is that I went from good video (2500 feet) to bad video (500 feet) and the only thing that fixed it was to change to my BiQuad antenna tracker.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:29 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyou View Post
Hi Alex,

Whats your opinion on using 1.3ghz video system? Are there any real problems other than the UHF interference and GPS issues?

thanks

I use Thomas' uhf system and there is no interference at all when useing 1.2/1.3 or 2.4 for video. The 1.2/1.3 transmitter can be right next to the uhf rx if you wanted to have that situation.

But I have had problems with GPS when useing 1.2/1.3, but others have some solutions on 1.2/1.2 and GPS. I think separation was one good cure.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
hi, i am new in this field. i would like to ask u all esteemed and experienced guys about a problem i am facing. i want to get a live vedio feed from a small camera attached with my RC airplane. the problem is i want to drive around using that feed. i have two basic questions. 1. is there a way to get a live video feed from a flying RC air plane (Controled by me from with in the vehicle which is moving) and the other is that are there any low priced cameras for attaching with RC plane which are able to see clearly from a height of 300 meters (as i am doing it for a college project hence i am really short on finances ).
your help in this matter will really really be appreciated.
inam.h.kazmi is offline Find More Posts by inam.h.kazmi
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:34 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inam.h.kazmi View Post
hi, i am new in this field. i would like to ask u all esteemed and experienced guys about a problem i am facing. i want to get a live vedio feed from a small camera attached with my RC airplane. the problem is i want to drive around using that feed. i have two basic questions. 1. is there a way to get a live video feed from a flying RC air plane (Controled by me from with in the vehicle which is moving) and the other is that are there any low priced cameras for attaching with RC plane which are able to see clearly from a height of 300 meters (as i am doing it for a college project hence i am really short on finances ).
your help in this matter will really really be appreciated.
1) Any system successfully used in a static situation will work in a mobile situation.
this system works for me.
The transmitter is moving with the plane so the ground station doesn't need to be stationary. after all movement is movement either the one or the two moving simultaneously it is not going to affect the result.
regarding doing FPV from a moving vehicle, implies you are going to follow roads and cross populated areas, so on that basis IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA... here is why.
-video interference from many sources such as WIFI(2.4ghz), surveillance cameras(1.2ghz),telephone mast(900mhz) that you may encounter on the road will probably ruin your day.
-your plane might get shot down by another rc enthusiast trying his gear in his garage.
-if you encounter a traffic situation such a jam or a red light or a series of them, you might run out of fuel (or power) and end up ditching the plane in an unwanted place (a carr roof a window or someone's face).

if you still want to do this,
plan your route carefully, evaluate the time it takes to go from start to destination. Evaluate the amount of masts on the road, avoid populated areas, plan for the eventuality of having to ditch the plane (check for parks etc) and have a friend that can take over the controls if you loose vision.
when you have the plane ready to fly, drive the route with the plane and camera ON in the car and check for glitches in the plane and for vision problems.

2) there are a lot of miniature cameras, keychain camera, on ebay that have a decent quality. they are worth a few dollars like this one .

3) please use a foam plane like the easystar . if you hit someone with that you will say sorry and pick up your plane and go. The pusher engine means you only have a soft foam nose to hit someone with...

the key is plan for the worst and hope for the best
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:41 AM
USA, VA, Radford
Joined Mar 2002
183 Posts
Question - sim and FPV

This may be a simple question, but does anyone know of a sim for FPV where the video out could be used in goggles? This might be a way to keep crashes to a minimum.

Thanks,

george l
george l is offline Find More Posts by george l
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:00 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,120 Posts
Know airspace

Best to know the airspace one is operating in.

Fully recognizing that more regulation is soon to be established, for now here are the only no kidding "rules" that the FAA has regarding model aircraft.

FAA Advisory Circular 91-57

The primary intent is to seperate full scale from model aircraft.

That said, in order to avoid contact with full scale aircraft, it is best to know where and how full scale aircraft use airspace.

First, know the defenitions of airspace.

Know how to read aerospace sectional charts.

With that, understand the airspace around you.

Though full scale rules do not apply to model aviation, you must understand them if you intend to fly in anything other than a known RC Model field (where full scale pilots and air traffic controllers expect and avoid model aircraft).

Once again, the intent is to avoid contact with full scale aircraft, who ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.

Why?

Because there is likely a soul in it.

Hope that helps...

scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:06 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Not necessarily true. Noise floor is huge and unpredicatble. Let me explain:

SNIP

A couple of months ago, I went to maiden a new plane standing in the exact same spot with the same RX and antenna that achieved 2500 feet a few months earlier. I only got 500 feet... 20% of the previous range when nothing changed!

Don't know how you can say that. You went to a new installation in a new plane. Looks to me that everything changed on the transmit end.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
140 Posts
I bought THIS sony camera, with a wider lens... How do I switch lenses? - screw it up and replace? - or do I have to do something else too?
I am thinking about dust, light and if I should be worried about anything else..!?

btw, I am very happy with the camera... good in light as well as dark, good resolution! (my opinion without experience)
Foskje is offline Find More Posts by Foskje
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:01 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovaboy View Post
hi scrtsqrl.....thats good info...ive tried looking around for charts(airspace) but have no luck...is there anywhere on line i can view charts in my area? im in texas.
pete
Pete,

Explore the syvector site above. It has everything you will need. In particular, look up "sectional" under "charts".

Here's a helpful guide:
http://skyvector.com/content/video-tutorial

Hope that helps.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:54 AM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Hey everyone I have been flying rc planes for a few years off and on and just recently discovered pfv and im hooked. Now I have been reading like crazy but I still cant figure out what video rx/tx frequency to use in and around Los Angeles. I have basically decided to get and have ruled out everysingle frequency so I am up for all advice when it comes to what to use. My build will be a easystar with the intensions of adding equipment to get the as much range as possible. Here is a link to the thread I started http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376847, reply there, quote this whatever works, please help, thanks in advance.
Windrider1345 is offline Find More Posts by Windrider1345
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:47 AM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
231 Posts
Is there any proposal for a fpv model capable for extreme flight. I have ordered a falcon http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288385 and it's on the way but I think it's better a model having rudder with a big crash resistance. Something like this but with larger wingspan
kstmark is offline Find More Posts by kstmark