SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:55 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muc951 View Post
Hiii here's a new video of our quadcopter called EYECOPTER.

Enjoy it!!

What do you think about it? Anything you would change or improve?

Thank You!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDIZ-zB7IM

http://www.youtube.com/EyeCopter
http://eyecopter.wordpress.com
https://twitter.com/EyeCopter
http://goteo.org/project/eyecopter
This posting smells a bit like spam to be honest. The video is nice, but honestly what people HERE on this forum would like to see it the view of the RC link, not the recording of a local camera. The latter is easy to do, but the former would tell us how well your video link penetrates the building (asuming it was FPV flown at all). Assuming that you intend to market/sell a product I have to tell you that in order to attract people on this forum, we would want to see the video link, not on board recorded footage.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:15 AM
My plane is 5ft BGL!
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
Thanks, this tip comes handy because I am about to buy my first FPV system. I plan to use it on a witespy quad, I live in a suburban area and there are tall trees everywhere, so I expect the need to fly behind some of them occasionally.

I have two JR9303s radios, one on 72mHz with 2.5 gHz Spectrum module, and one on 2.5 gHz, so I have some flexibility on the frequency of the radio that I will use.

I was planning to upgrade the kit with circular polarized antennas (cloverleaf and skew planar) since I am not sure if I will ever need (purposely or not...) to fly behind me, and I want to keep the option available, any comment? Thanks in advance

I am planning to buy from Readymade because I am more interested in US store support and known quality than in lowest prices.
CP is a good thing, but not necesary on lower frequencys like 1.3 and 900. You only really need it on 2.4 and especialy 5.8. It will still increase range, however. IBcrazy swears by a 1.3/CP combo.
You will want to start off using the 72mhz 9303, without the 2.4 module. 72 gets better range and penetration that the 2.4.
LowlyElevated is offline Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:28 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
Cant say for certain, but it looks a suspiciously lot like brown/yellow packing tape.
Can't say for certain either, but it could be useful to clamp the wires. Normally these toroids are used with thick wire, resulting in a one turn coil. The coil will have more inductance (= better ac filtering) when you have thinner wire and make more turns through the hole.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:24 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
Quote:
CP is a good thing, but not necesary on lower frequencys like 1.3 and 900. You only really need it on 2.4 and especialy 5.8. It will still increase range, however. IBcrazy swears by a 1.3/CP combo.
You will want to start off using the 72mhz 9303, without the 2.4 module. 72 gets better range and penetration that the 2.4.
Thanks. Yes, 2.4 GHz, not 2.5. I just noticed however that at Readymade the 400 mW transmitter in the 1.3 MHz starter package is out of stock...
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:26 PM
My plane is 5ft BGL!
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,260 Posts
the 300 would work just as good.
LowlyElevated is offline Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:15 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
As I learn more and more, and watch videos of people that have the same copter as me (DJI Phantom), I keep wondering if I should just use my Hero 2 and a video out, and a separate tx/rx or go with the packaged camera from whatever version of a FatShark that I buy?

Seems to me (and someone please correct me here), that the standalone goggles are about as much as the entire package, and that FatShark seems to be selling the goggles at the cost, and throwing a tx/rx in the mix for a minimal price? (Predator)

Am I going to get a better or worse viewing experience with the supplied camera vs a Hero 2? What cable would I need for the easiest connection replacing the standard camera with my Hero 2?

Am I going to spend more money buying the goggles and tx/rx separately and adding my own camera + whatever cable I need?

Should I just buy the Predator system and use their camera? I'm trying to save a little money here while giving myself less room for error (me setting things up as a newbie scares me a bit, but I am willing to learn). I'm always going to record using my Hero 2, so I figured that if I can record and tx my video back to my goggles, shouldn't I just use the Hero 2 and scrap the supplied the camera?
hellaskan is offline Find More Posts by hellaskan
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:35 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
I have a silly idea, or perhaps silly, but i'm likely going to try it, here's the idea anyways:

my super sky surfer has a cloverleaf on it, which i know is good to about 4km+ with a crosshair on my goggles

On my long distance attempts, i basically just fly in one preplanned direction and then fly straight back, so this is what i'm likely going to try:

mount 2 x 5.8ghz tx's on it, about 500mW, on the 2 different channels that don't seem to interfere with each other

i'm going to mount one on one wing, the second on the other. First one gets a crosshair pointing front, other gets a crosshair pointing back.

On the ground, i'll have a crosshair on my goggles, set to the rear facing channel on the plane on the outgoing trip, when i turn around, i'll hit RTH, change channel to front facing crosshair, and wait for signal to come back.

Should get 10km+ clear video this way, thoughts? likely stupid, but sure would make for an interesting experiment
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:03 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
801 Posts
That sounds silly indeed Polix.
During the turn at the end you'll have no signal and relying on your RTH is probably not the best idea. If something goes wrong you have no idea whether to listen to tx1 or tx2.

Another silly idea, if you have a spare control channel you could put the crosshair on a 180 degree servo

Martin
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:41 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
That sounds silly indeed Polix.
During the turn at the end you'll have no signal and relying on your RTH is probably not the best idea. If something goes wrong you have no idea whether to listen to tx1 or tx2.

Another silly idea, if you have a spare control channel you could put the crosshair on a 180 degree servo

Martin
yeah likely silly, if i did a cloverleaf + a crosshair on a servo like you suggested that might be indeed interesting, though i think i'll leave the experimentation until i think this through properly
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:33 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Can anyone tell me what kind of sma connector this is on my rx? I went to radio shack and couldn't find a connector for it. I'm wondering if I should just get the spirit antennas at this point but for 45 bucks I could probably make it for less.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:52 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
801 Posts
Huh, what's the advantage of turning a cloverleaf in mid flight?
I dunno understand

Martin

Edit:
Stgdz, that looks like RP-SMA, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector, figure 2.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:02 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of sma connector this is on my rx? I went to radio shack and couldn't find a connector for it. I'm wondering if I should just get the spirit antennas at this point but for 45 bucks I could probably make it for less.
I just cut that sucker off and soldered the one i like. Its not that hard to do if you cut it off then remove the pins
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:07 PM
Grasshopper
Joined Feb 2013
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of sma connector this is on my rx? I went to radio shack and couldn't find a connector for it.
That looks like a female reverse-polarity sma (RP-SMA) connector:

Zagor is offline Find More Posts by Zagor
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:21 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Yeah, its most definately just tape. If you use any other types of torroids its just the half circle rings like you have.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:51 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,827 Posts
Quote:
very true
about useing omni and patch \or omni or yagi

i have great success at close range with those combos

but certain places the special antennas like hugo fan antenna work better for sure

but at aerodynamic price
as they are 10 times larger and would or should expect better video with such large antenna onthe plane

i use very small omni for 2.4 which is only like 3/4 inch long and install it inside plane with great video and absolutely no aerodynamic drag

i even prove at close range to ibcrazy my omni does just as good as any special antenna out there

there is such a band wagon effect that is in this hobby
buys are pulled into what is new and go with the bandwagon before experimenting with proven ways
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22