SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2013
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Found my pride and joy about 3/4 mile away in a field where the cows graze. The cows had a field day with my plane. They stomped every square inch of the plane, leaving me with nothing, absolutely nothing salvageable. I figure around $500.

In fact not only did the stomp the plane, but buried some parts. We found servo leads, only to pull on them to unearth the servos. The motor was found 20 foot from the wreck. Destroyed.

I looked straight at the cows and let em know that I was gonna have a big juicy steak for dinner and hamburger for lunch tomorrow...

FML

Michael
I'll have a burger in memory of your plane tonight. Sorry for you loss. Won't happen in California, though, all happy cows.....
crashsalot is offline Find More Posts by crashsalot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
That'll teach you
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Watch the "Hooking it up" video at the first post of this thread. It is video #7. You will see no cables are required, just some soldering skills.

-Alex
Somehow I missed that one before, thanks again. Pretty simple.

Alex, is there a reason you recommend 900mhz over 1.3ghz? As a reminder I am looking for 1500 feet probably at the most, but likely behind trees and small buildings mostly doing low nap of the earth flying, on a quadcopter with about 8 inches of separation between TX and RX..

I know 900mhz will penetrate a bit better, but 1.3ghz misses the cell phone bands. I live in a rural residential town, but am about 10-15 miles from an urban center. We have mostly CDMA and 4G cell towers around here, but I am sure there is 900mhz as well.

900mhz was what I was originally thinking, but I keep reading that 1.3ghz has the cleanest air in the USA. What do you think?
Thothtp is offline Find More Posts by Thothtp
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:30 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
676 Posts
Yes sir, Nolan Ryan grass fed steak tonight!

Think im gonna go with the SkyWalker 1900 for my next bird...

Note the SSS in the bottom left. RIP
guaglione87 is online now Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:41 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
So, crappy question to have to ask but - what is yall's success rate with having people return lost planes? I have my address name and phone number on the plane in 2 or 3 spots, along with a "reward upon return" on the label.
Well first of all the chances of you crashing it on the ground where someone would run upon it is very slim. Even smack in the middle of the city where I live there are plenty of trees and wooded areas.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:15 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothtp View Post

Alex, is there a reason you recommend 900mhz over 1.3ghz? As a reminder I am looking for 1500 feet probably at the most, but likely behind trees and small buildings mostly doing low nap of the earth flying, on a quadcopter with about 8 inches of separation between TX and RX..

I know 900mhz will penetrate a bit better, but 1.3ghz misses the cell phone bands. I live in a rural residential town, but am about 10-15 miles from an urban center. We have mostly CDMA and 4G cell towers around here, but I am sure there is 900mhz as well.

900mhz was what I was originally thinking, but I keep reading that 1.3ghz has the cleanest air in the USA. What do you think?
2.4Ghz control and 1.3GHz video are not friends. 900MHz video is the safer bet, especially for the short distances you intend to fly.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:02 PM
Has an RC Problem
United States, NC, Franklin
Joined Mar 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothtp View Post

If you live in the US, there is no 900mhz cellular use. It's 700-900, then 1400 on up.
WNCmotard is offline Find More Posts by WNCmotard
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Oct 2005
48 Posts
Reciver Antenna

Alex

Hey I know you have used the corona RP8D1 receiver and I going to try one being I just getting into FPV then move into a Dragonlink later.My Question is can I run the Antenna along the outside bottom of my Penguin airframe as long as I keep it as strait as possible? I seen your video on how you keep it on the wing but I will be removing the wings and it would be easer to run the Antenna down the back bone of the Penguin. Or should I go ahead and pull the trigger and get a Dragonlink and skip the 72mh I will be using a 9 Cap if that matters. Thanks Scott K
ucandoit is offline Find More Posts by ucandoit
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:56 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCmotard View Post
If you live in the US, there is no 900mhz cellular use. It's 700-900, then 1400 on up.
This is true, but the receivers we use receive below 900Mhz and thus some of the G3 band causes interference because of the width of the receiver filter.

-Alex
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:57 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucandoit View Post
Alex

Hey I know you have used the corona RP8D1 receiver and I going to try one being I just getting into FPV then move into a Dragonlink later.My Question is can I run the Antenna along the outside bottom of my Penguin airframe as long as I keep it as strait as possible? I seen your video on how you keep it on the wing but I will be removing the wings and it would be easer to run the Antenna down the back bone of the Penguin. Or should I go ahead and pull the trigger and get a Dragonlink and skip the 72mh I will be using a 9 Cap if that matters. Thanks Scott K
It's your call, but I would still run it out the wing. Maybe make it so only 1 wnig detaches? Remember that running it out the tail exposes the antenna null.

-Alex
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
Has an RC Problem
United States, NC, Franklin
Joined Mar 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
This is true, but the receivers we use receive below 900Mhz and thus some of the G3 band causes interference because of the width of the receiver filter.

-Alex
Great, more stuff to screw up my video frequency search. Luckily, I live in a very rural area, so not a ton of cell towers here to walk on my signal.
WNCmotard is offline Find More Posts by WNCmotard
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:51 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
This is true, but the receivers we use receive below 900Mhz and thus some of the G3 band causes interference because of the width of the receiver filter.-Alex
Is this true even with the receivers with the D480A SAW Filters?
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
896 Posts
Reality Check: 2.4ghz Spektrum Booster

3D Robotics, at DIY Drones, describe this 2.4ghz Spektrum TX booster project.

It's an inexpensive and fairly simple project that offers 4km range without a patch, and with a patch antenna presumably somewhat further.

Have you assembled this kit? How did it do? What range have you achieved? Glitchy? Loss of aircraft? Would you recommend it as an improvement to pilots who insist on using Spektrum 2.4ghz TX / RX pairs?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:38 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
3D Robotics, at DIY Drones, describe this 2.4ghz Spektrum TX booster project.

It's an inexpensive and fairly simple project that offers 4km range without a patch, and with a patch antenna presumably somewhat further.

Have you assembled this kit? How did it do? What range have you achieved? Glitchy? Loss of aircraft? Would you recommend it as an improvement to pilots who insist on using Spektrum 2.4ghz TX / RX pairs?

Thanks!
works great, i've done it to my dx8, been working fine for 18 months, flew out to 4km on it yesterday no problems. I'm not using a patch either.

The only thing you have to do is properly attenuate the link from the tx to the booster, otherwise you'll burnout the booster.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
works great, i've done it to my dx8, been working fine for 18 months, flew out to 4km on it yesterday no problems. I'm not using a patch either.

The only thing you have to do is properly attenuate the link from the tx to the booster, otherwise you'll burnout the booster.
Good news about the capability of the setup.

How do I attenuate the link from the tx to the booster though? This is new to me -- I don't understand...

Would you please explain / point me in a good direction to learn more?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ