SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:32 AM
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
1. Yes. You need a WDR (wide dynamic range) camera. For cheap units that work well, check security camera2000 under the FPV section.

2. Loosen the small set screw and back it out. They often have a lot of resistance for the first turn or so as sometimes they use a small mount of adhesive to keep it in tight.
Thanks for very quick response. Will try it out. I believe the focus can be adjusted by screw in and out the lense right?
AlphaBravo is offline Find More Posts by AlphaBravo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Feb 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Looks good to me. I'd go with the 2.8mm lens on your camera. The 3.8 or 4mm is pretty good too.

-Alex
Alright I think I may give this a shot. Couple more questions though, thanks again for all your help!

Do I need any other cables to hook everything up? I see readymade sells cable kits, but I am not sure which cables I will need for the securitycamera2000 cam, or for hooking up the transmitter to power. Receiver is straight forward, just need the 2.1mm barrel and Ill wire on a battery connector.

I am assuming the camera does not have audio - however the gopro I will be carrying does. Is there any way to patch the audio from the gopro with the video from the FPV camera? Is it worth it? Is there a cheap separate mic that would be better/easier? If its not easy I will just forgo audio, not a big deal.

Will my turnigy 9x work ok for now, or do I need to upgrade to an FrSky module?

If I decide to attempt to make the antenna set myself, what is a good source for the RG316 cable? Having trouble finding it online. Should I just buy one of these?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=228

Thanks again!
Thothtp is offline Find More Posts by Thothtp
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo View Post
I am using 1/3 sony ccd cam 420TVL from hobbyking. Need some advise as follows:
1. Image quality is very good for indoor but not so sharp on open bright area like very bright sunny day. Is this normal?
2. How to change the stock lense? I bought 2.8 lense but afraid to change it in case i might damage the cam or couldnt get the lense focus right.
That is what i experience with mine too, don't know of you can fix it maybe with a shaded lens. The lens is easy to remove, just unscrew it. You need to focus it anyway, so that's not a problem with a new lens.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo View Post
Thanks for very quick response. Will try it out. I believe the focus can be adjusted by screw in and out the lense right?
Yes that's how it works. Then you can tighten the screw on the side to hold it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:58 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothtp View Post
Alright I think I may give this a shot. Couple more questions though, thanks again for all your help!

Do I need any other cables to hook everything up? I see readymade sells cable kits, but I am not sure which cables I will need for the securitycamera2000 cam, or for hooking up the transmitter to power. Receiver is straight forward, just need the 2.1mm barrel and Ill wire on a battery connector.

I am assuming the camera does not have audio - however the gopro I will be carrying does. Is there any way to patch the audio from the gopro with the video from the FPV camera? Is it worth it? Is there a cheap separate mic that would be better/easier? If its not easy I will just forgo audio, not a big deal.

Will my turnigy 9x work ok for now, or do I need to upgrade to an FrSky module?

If I decide to attempt to make the antenna set myself, what is a good source for the RG316 cable? Having trouble finding it online. Should I just buy one of these?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=228

Thanks again!
Watch the "Hooking it up" video at the first post of this thread. It is video #7. You will see no cables are required, just some soldering skills.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
200mW on 900MHz is your ticket. Check ANY reputable vendor and piece it together from there. That $45 camera is my favorite camera. I have several of them.

-Alex
Curious, have you tried the Pixim camera, and is there a reason you prefer the PZO420 over it? IIRC I bought the pixim because it had true WDR as opposed to DWDR, but see that so many people like the PZO420 so wasn't sure if that mattered. I know I should probably ask over on the SC2000 thread, but I'm interested in your input.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:38 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
The pixim is a good camera in the day time. It definitely does best in bright sunlight.

The problem with the Pixim is that first of all, the colors are not true. Usually the Pixim favors reds and blues with excessive tint even with AWB correction. The other issue is that it completely stinks for use at dusk and night flying.

-Alex
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES View Post
hey guys,

I have this camera and I want to mount it on this pan/tilt system. I want to make sure I have a little bit of room between the camera board and the back plate. If I use these spacers, will they do the job? Is it the right size??

Also, I have no clue which screws to use for these... can someone please advise which ones I need?
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:45 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
The pixim is a good camera in the day time. It definitely does best in bright sunlight.

The problem with the Pixim is that first of all, the colors are not true. Usually the Pixim favors reds and blues with excessive tint even with AWB correction. The other issue is that it completely stinks for use at dusk and night flying.

-Alex
Just the input I was looking for. I think I'll give the pz0420 a try... and save a few bucks also. Thanks again Alex
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:29 PM
Has an RC Problem
United States, NC, Franklin
Joined Mar 2010
293 Posts
So after watching awesome videos for the past couple years, I've decided to take the FPV plunge, and sold off some other heli stuff to finance it. I've read the top 10 things I wish I'd paid attention to list, been doing research and trying to be very honest and humble with myself, etc. Could you guys please look at this list, and see if I've left anything out?

Keep in mind, this will be a beginner / get my feet wet with FPV setup, and I don't expect the best range, camera, etc. If I stick with this, I can always upgrade down the road. I also plan on building and flying the quad with no FPV at all for the first flights until I'm confortable that it's safe and trustworthy. I live in the mountains of western NC, so I'm not looking for crazy range either, 1 mile would most likely be the outside limit, and that would be a long time from now when I have lots of flights logged first.

I've set my budget at $1000, give or take around 10% Thanks!

DJI DJI flamewheel F450 ARF

DJI Naza-M / GPS package

Fatshark Predator V2

bluebeam cloverleafs

GoPro HD hero 2 for video recording (already own)

Futaba T7CAP radio system (already own)
WNCmotard is offline Find More Posts by WNCmotard
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
I don't think you really need the GPS package with the Naza, but other than that, it looks ok to me. I prefer the TBS Discovery to the Flame Wheel. It is a bit more integrated and is much more FPV friendly. You don't need their video gear to make it work (although I do recommend the CORE).

I would also go with 900MHz for video. Stay away from 5.8GHz especially with helicopters. One of the most fun things to do is fly behind objects and 5.8GHz won't let you do that.

-Alex
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:20 AM
Has an RC Problem
Joined Mar 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
I don't think you really need the GPS package with the Naza, but other than that, it looks ok to me. I prefer the TBS Discovery to the Flame Wheel. It is a bit more integrated and is much more FPV friendly. You don't need their video gear to make it work (although I do recommend the CORE).

I would also go with 900MHz for video. Stay away from 5.8GHz especially with helicopters. One of the most fun things to do is fly behind objects and 5.8GHz won't let you do that.

-Alex
Hey thanks for the advice IBCrazy. As much as I'd like to do the TBS disco, it adds a lot of cost to the budget I set that could be used for video gear. Is the flame wheel really that bad to start out with, or do you just prefer the disco for the extra room? My thought process was I can get started this way, and if I stick with it, I can upgrade to a disco setup later on.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:28 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCmotard View Post
Hey thanks for the advice IBCrazy. As much as I'd like to do the TBS disco, it adds a lot of cost to the budget I set that could be used for video gear. Is the flame wheel really that bad to start out with, or do you just prefer the disco for the extra room? My thought process was I can get started this way, and if I stick with it, I can upgrade to a disco setup later on.
The F450 is super solid but it is small. There's just not a lot of room for extra stuff. However, I didn't have any major problems getting everything on there, I just had to think about the layout for a couple days, then I found a good way to do it. Didn't I post my build video here? It shows the issue.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:05 PM
Has an RC Problem
Joined Mar 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The F450 is super solid but it is small. There's just not a lot of room for extra stuff. However, I didn't have any major problems getting everything on there, I just had to think about the layout for a couple days, then I found a good way to do it. Didn't I post my build video here? It shows the issue.
Good to know Jasmine, thank you. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the F450 then, and start flying and getting a feel for it. FPV gear will come later, when the bird is dialed in and the weather is nicer.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
hey guys,

I have this camera and I want to mount it on this pan/tilt system. I want to make sure I have a little bit of room between the camera board and the back plate. If I use these spacers, will they do the job? Is it the right size??

Also, I have no clue which screws to use for these... can someone please advise which ones I need?
Quote:
Anyone?

I'm actually having the same issue as you are. I don't want the camera board to be in direct contact with the plate of the pan unit and don't know which spacers to use. The ones I got were too small.
EdenSmith123 is offline Find More Posts by EdenSmith123