HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
William, a receiver doesn't emit RF noise, ok it could emit very low RF signals but there's no one else to bother . But the video transmitter emits lots of RF through its antenna, just like it should. A perfect transmitter will emit RF in the designated band only. But that's an utopia; they emit harmonics as well, with frequencies that are multiples of the base frequency. It could also emit lower frequency RF, coming from its electronic components directly, but only if it hasn't a metal case. And those signals have very low power. Then you'll have digital cameras. which by their nature are notorious sources of interference. It helps to keep electronics apart, including their wires. It also helps to place antennas perpendicular to each other. But only if it doesn't matter anyway.

Note that there's an inverse quadratic relationship between distance and noise level, so halving your distance will quadruple your noise level. But it depends on your setup. so you better don't try to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Martin
wow, thanks for the info martin
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:32 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Finalizing my disco wiring setup and I have a imersion vtx.

Does the signal ground and the battery ground go on the same ground for the frame?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:32 AM
Joined May 2011
85 Posts
Hey do the fatsharks predator v2's come so you can use your own tx rx
Webbey64 is offline Find More Posts by Webbey64
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbey64 View Post
Hey do the fatsharks predator v2's come so you can use your own tx rx
Yes, there is a switch on the goggles to turn off the built-in 5.8 receiver and use the video in port. I use mine with the built-in receiver and also with a 1.3 receiver.

Kent
KentF is offline Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
24 Posts
Hey Alex, have watched all your videos, thanks so much for everything you do.

I have a couple questions that I am having trouble finding the answers to. I have read and reread all the generic advice on the web, but for my specific circumstance I am having trouble finding the best solution.

I have designed and built my first quadrotor, and she is flying beautifully so far. Still need to balance the props and tweak the vibration damping, and learn to fly, but I am well on my way. Full thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1790344

For right now, the frame includes a gimbal mounted go pro for recording aerial video/images. Once I get better at flying (this is my first aerial vehicle of any kind, but I am getting there) I would like to add an FPV setup to the mix.

I want an FPV setup for fairly close range work, I don't see myself going much farther then 1000-1500 feet, although behind trees might be possible. I built this quad to capture cool images of nature, events, and things of that nature, and I would like to be able to FPV it as well to get a better perspective of the shot. Things like flyover video of an RC car race, or aerial images of a wedding, or some cool shots in a park, that kind of thing. All pretty close range, no cross country or high altitude flying, just a better viewpoint of line of sight stuff.

I am currently using a turnigy 9x 2.4ghz for control.

I am thinking 900mhz or 1.3ghz since it is better at penetrating trees, and I don't mind the large antenna. I am planning on making myself a set of your cloverleaf/skew polar antennas to go with it. Now I know hobbyking FPV stuff doesn't hold a candle to other systems, but would it be good enough for my purposes, at least to try it? Something like the 900mhz 200mW 520tvl system? Is there another option that is in the ballpark (although obviously more) price wise that would be much better?

I do a lot of design consulting work for http://www.vuzix.com so I should be able to get a pair of goggles from them to hook up as the display. I already talked to them about the blue screen issue, and we are going to try to tweak the firmware to eliminate that, but we need something to experiment with.

TLDR: what is my cheapest option for close range multirotor flight that may go behind objects and works with a 2.4ghz control, or can work with a cheap addon module to that 2.4 (i.e. frysky or orange LRS)

Thanks so much for the help!
Thothtp is offline Find More Posts by Thothtp
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:16 PM
Italy, Tuscany, San Marcello Pistoiese
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
Ciao

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_5_8G_TX.html

Che ne pensate?

Luca
lucaferr73 is offline Find More Posts by lucaferr73
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:26 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
me no speako italian.
sorry
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:42 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
684 Posts
Quella lą sarebbe la versione pił economica che offre hobbyking. Con quel modello, sei un po' limitato per quanto riguarda la massima distanza tramite il tx integrato, e anche con la qualitą del video. Poi l'immagine č il pił piccolo di tutti i fatshark. Secondo me molto meglio comprare i fatshark base e creare un sistema di trasmissione video fatto per il proprio obbiettivo
guaglione87 is online now Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Quella lą sarebbe la versione pił economica che offre hobbyking. Con quel modello, sei un po' limitato per quanto riguarda la massima distanza tramite il tx integrato, e anche con la qualitą del video. Poi l'immagine č il pił piccolo di tutti i fatshark. Secondo me molto meglio comprare i fatshark base e creare un sistema di trasmissione video fatto per il proprio obbiettivo
No hablo Espanol... Same thing, right?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:46 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothtp View Post
Hey Alex, have watched all your videos, thanks so much for everything you do.

I have a couple questions that I am having trouble finding the answers to. I have read and reread all the generic advice on the web, but for my specific circumstance I am having trouble finding the best solution.

I have designed and built my first quadrotor, and she is flying beautifully so far. Still need to balance the props and tweak the vibration damping, and learn to fly, but I am well on my way. Full thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1790344

For right now, the frame includes a gimbal mounted go pro for recording aerial video/images. Once I get better at flying (this is my first aerial vehicle of any kind, but I am getting there) I would like to add an FPV setup to the mix.

I want an FPV setup for fairly close range work, I don't see myself going much farther then 1000-1500 feet, although behind trees might be possible. I built this quad to capture cool images of nature, events, and things of that nature, and I would like to be able to FPV it as well to get a better perspective of the shot. Things like flyover video of an RC car race, or aerial images of a wedding, or some cool shots in a park, that kind of thing. All pretty close range, no cross country or high altitude flying, just a better viewpoint of line of sight stuff.

I am currently using a turnigy 9x 2.4ghz for control.

I am thinking 900mhz or 1.3ghz since it is better at penetrating trees, and I don't mind the large antenna. I am planning on making myself a set of your cloverleaf/skew polar antennas to go with it. Now I know hobbyking FPV stuff doesn't hold a candle to other systems, but would it be good enough for my purposes, at least to try it? Something like the 900mhz 200mW 520tvl system? Is there another option that is in the ballpark (although obviously more) price wise that would be much better?

I do a lot of design consulting work for http://www.vuzix.com so I should be able to get a pair of goggles from them to hook up as the display. I already talked to them about the blue screen issue, and we are going to try to tweak the firmware to eliminate that, but we need something to experiment with.

TLDR: what is my cheapest option for close range multirotor flight that may go behind objects and works with a 2.4ghz control, or can work with a cheap addon module to that 2.4 (i.e. frysky or orange LRS)

Thanks so much for the help!
You really should buy a system from a reputable FPV vendor. 900MHz is plenty for what you do and 50mW is enough power. However the receiver and camera quality of the cheap stuff will make you hobby very upsetting and will likely result in costly crashes. Camera resolution gets all the attention, but the bog issue is BLC (back light compensation). I'd rather have a 330TVL camera with good BLC than a 1000 TVL with poor BLC.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:02 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
No hablo Espanol... Same thing, right?
Thats only mildly insulting haha. Can't say I'm not used to it, being one of the few Italian Americans in Texas , where there's tons of Spanish speakers...
guaglione87 is online now Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:08 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Thats only mildly insulting haha. Can't say I'm not used to it, being one of the few Italian Americans in Texas , where there's tons of Spanish speakers...
I'm sure it wasn't meant to be but I thought it was VERY insulting.

Sorry Jas, wasn't funny

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
You really should buy a system from a reputable FPV vendor. 900MHz is plenty for what you do and 50mW is enough power. However the receiver and camera quality of the cheap stuff will make you hobby very upsetting and will likely result in costly crashes. Camera resolution gets all the attention, but the bog issue is BLC (back light compensation). I'd rather have a 330TVL camera with good BLC than a 1000 TVL with poor BLC.

-Alex
Makes sense. I have read about that $45 600TVL camera from securitycamera2000, that sounds like a good solution. As for the transmitter and receiver, what would be my best inexpensive option outside of hobbyking? Something from readymadeRC? Their kits come with camera and batteries, which I won't need, so I would probably piece it together myself instead. Am I better off going 900 or 1.3ghz? What would be the sweet spot for power level?

Thanks again!
Thothtp is offline Find More Posts by Thothtp
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:18 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
I'm finding myself confounded by the language choices in the Horizon manuals... No Spanish, but there is Italian.

Oh and yeah, it's a Simpsons joke, so it definitely is funny.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothtp View Post
Makes sense. I have read about that $45 600TVL camera from securitycamera2000, that sounds like a good solution. As for the transmitter and receiver, what would be my best inexpensive option outside of hobbyking? Something from readymadeRC? Their kits come with camera and batteries, which I won't need, so I would probably piece it together myself instead. Am I better off going 900 or 1.3ghz? What would be the sweet spot for power level?

Thanks again!
200mW on 900MHz is your ticket. Check ANY reputable vendor and piece it together from there. That $45 camera is my favorite camera. I have several of them.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy