HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2005
48 Posts
Futaba 9 c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucandoit View Post
I have a Corona rp8d1 and I can get it to bind but the antenna has to be almost touching the reciver to work as soon as I walk back a few steps it's stops working. I unpluged to try it again and same thing I put it on channel 72,69, still same thing. Can I use the Module on the the back my Futaba 9c that I can change channels Or do I have to use a crystal for the Radio?
This is what I Have will it work with the RP8D1?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Futaba-1...item43b7fa09f6
I did notce that my RF light does not stay on after channel 59 but one are saying to use channel 65-80 so is this for 35mh ? I did get to work on channel 59 with a good range check. Has anyone had any situations like this with this reciver? Does it matter what chanel your on ?
ucandoit is online now Find More Posts by ucandoit
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:36 PM
Registered User
rednali's Avatar
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Well no it doesnt mention anything about a saw filter. Just looked up what it is though so scratch that last question. Can you add one to a receiver that doesnt have one without to much trouble
rednali is offline Find More Posts by rednali
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:17 PM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
Sorry but... Since you said "don't ask," now we all know that I just HAVE to ask about it. So, why are you using a c-160 wing on a twinstar??
Easier to take you to the C-160 Transall build thread I started, towards the end you'll see what happened to the stock C-160 wing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803697
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:53 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
hi guys,

I need some advice regarding my next plane. I want something that has a lot of cargo room AND can run on a 4S. I have tried the following:
-Skywalker
-X8
-Easystar
-Zephyr
-Raptor

I've already tried the above planes... what would you guy's suggest as my next bird??
Swift II. You've done the big stuff. Time to try the small stuff. Urban obstacle dodging is where the real fun is!

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:14 PM
KG5AWQ
guaglione87's Avatar
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Looks great but its meant for a 3S. I was considering it though.
William - check out the super sky surfer thread. I am running a 4s on mine with great results. The stock motor is fine, the ESC is not up to that job. Im running a Align 70a esc and an external sbec, and we're good to go. It is way more stable than anything I've seen. The thing floats and floats and floats, so you can get a ton of flight time with it.

Just a big bixler with flaps...

I almost went with the FPV Rapter but heard it has a bad tip stall tendency.

My neighbor flies the finwing penguin, which is a great plane. You can definetly tell that it is quality through and through. Only thing is that it seems to be a bit of an amp hog, and eats through his 5000mah 3s in around 20 mins or so.
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:47 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednali View Post
Im still learning about FPV. What is a SAW filter?
This is what a saw filter does.
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:49 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednali View Post
Well no it doesnt mention anything about a saw filter. Just looked up what it is though so scratch that last question. Can you add one to a receiver that doesnt have one without to much trouble
I just bought a couple of these. I haven't had a chance to use them yet but they do have the SAW filter and if you end up using UHF (ultra high frequency) down the road, apparently these work well with them.
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucandoit View Post
I did notce that my RF light does not stay on after channel 59 but one are saying to use channel 65-80 so is this for 35mh ? I did get to work on channel 59 with a good range check. Has anyone had any situations like this with this reciver? Does it matter what chanel your on ?
I'm on channel 53 with my Futaba 9C and have been using the Corona Receivers for about 2 years without a single problem. I've got about 5 in my planes. The channel shouldn't really matter on the receiver because the Corona is a synthesized receiver, which means that it should work on any channel that's on the 72mhz frequency. I would check for 3 things. 1) Make sure that you did in fact buy the 72mhz one and not another frequency. 2) make sure your Futaba 9C is in PPM or else it won't work. 3) Make sure you read through the Corona manual carefully as there is more than 1 type of bind option.
If you still need more help, shoot me a pm and I'll see what I can do
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Swift II. You've done the big stuff. Time to try the small stuff. Urban obstacle dodging is where the real fun is!

-Alex
Thanks Alex, I'll take a look at it
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:58 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
CrashAffinity's Avatar
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Swift II. You've done the big stuff. Time to try the small stuff. Urban obstacle dodging is where the real fun is!

-Alex
You're such a bad influence
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
William - check out the super sky surfer thread. I am running a 4s on mine with great results. The stock motor is fine, the ESC is not up to that job. Im running a Align 70a esc and an external sbec, and we're good to go. It is way more stable than anything I've seen. The thing floats and floats and floats, so you can get a ton of flight time with it.

Just a big bixler with flaps...

I almost went with the FPV Rapter but heard it has a bad tip stall tendency.

My neighbor flies the finwing penguin, which is a great plane. You can definetly tell that it is quality through and through. Only thing is that it seems to be a bit of an amp hog, and eats through his 5000mah 3s in around 20 mins or so.
Guaglione87,

Thanks so much for the advice. Both seem like really cool planes. I have had the Bixler/skysurfer and those birds are sooo easy to fly. It looks like the SSS is just a bigger sized bixler and it would be fun to fly with. The only down side is that the price is really up there given that the brand. Secondly, if I break the wings, I gotta buy a whole new plane. Similarly, if I break the fuselage... I gotta buy a whole new plane. The Penguin looks like the flight characteristics might not be too far from that of the the Bixler. The upside with the penguin is that the fuselage and wings are in fact sold separate if one chooses to buy them like that. As for the raptor, I have one. It's fun to fly but definitely wouldn't recommend it for FPV.... laundry list of reasons. Although, some have heavily modified it and they are able to make it work.

Thanks again
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:20 AM
Wallop!
Martin7182's Avatar
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seearestacey View Post
I'm looking to keep my Video Tx inside my fuselage and run an SMA cable to the antenna (IBCrazy Vee) out on the wingtip. This would be a 3 foot separation between the VTx and the Vee. would this be a problem? Also, can I run the SMA cable in the same servo wire channel, or better to run them in different channels separating the two?
-Thanks!
Not based on experience but on a little knowledge, don't use long coaxes on high frequencies like 2.4G and above. For low frequencies it's not really a problem but at 1.2G I think 3 foot is around max. Just lookup "coax losses" or "coax attenuation" on Google to find out how many loss you're dealing with.

Concerning your servo cable, I can't imagine it makes any difference; first, the coax shielding is excellent to keep signals where they should be and second, your video signal contains much higher frequencies than your servo signal. Theoretically, servo pulses contain high harmonic frequencies too, but they diminish very quickly with increasing frequency. But nevertheless, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so test it out and you'll see.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:52 AM
Registered User
rednali's Avatar
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Jasmine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I have a couple of these and I'm not impressed by the quality. They work, but one of them the wires came right off and I had to solder new ones on, and that was not super easy because they are really small. The other one seems to be working fine, but they get super hot. If you get them, get the matching transmitter - it gives you access to all the channels.
I think I'm just gonna get this one. Its my first set up which means I can, and will, upgrade. But for now I figure I can just get a small computer fan to help cool the VRx and maybe it will live a bit longer.
Still trying to find any word on that Range Video, not giving up So if you ever hear anything about them please let me know.

Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. This is such a great forum
me so happy.
rednali is offline Find More Posts by rednali
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:00 AM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednali View Post
I think I'm just gonna get this one. Its my first set up which means I can, and will, upgrade. But for now I figure I can just get a small computer fan to help cool the VRx and maybe it will live a bit longer.
Still trying to find any word on that Range Video, not giving up So if you ever hear anything about them please let me know.

Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. This is such a great forum
me so happy.
I am using RangeVideo's 5.8GHz stuff, along with some IBCrazy antennas, but I never tried any of their other stuff. I did get my goggles and some accessories from them and I consider them a good supplier - quick and reliable.

The problem I had with the 1.3GHz stuff from Sunsky was with the transmitters. I didn't do anything to the receivers except change the antenna (they seem to stay relatively cool on a 3S lipo also). The transmitters come with a weird casing and 'heatsink' that is just a stack of metal plates - it's basically useless but it holds the thing together a little bit. So, when I took it apart to ditch the extra weight, that's when I found the wires loose. I soldered them back on and stuck a big chunk of heatshrink in the hole to keep it from moving, and a heatsink with metal paste. I don't like having to do that kind of thing right away with a new product.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:19 AM
Registered User
rednali's Avatar
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The problem I had with the 1.3GHz stuff from Sunsky was with the transmitters. I didn't do anything to the receivers except change the antenna (they seem to stay relatively cool on a 3S lipo also). The transmitters come with a weird casing and 'heatsink' that is just a stack of metal plates - it's basically useless but it holds the thing together a little bit. So, when I took it apart to ditch the extra weight, that's when I found the wires loose. I soldered them back on and stuck a big chunk of heatshrink in the hole to keep it from moving, and a heatsink with metal paste. I don't like having to do that kind of thing right away with a new product.
Well Okay then. The receiver has held up okay then? That makes me feel better about it all if so
rednali is offline Find More Posts by rednali
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Talk 11 Dec 30, 2011 07:22 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 06:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 08:56 PM
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 8 Sep 12, 2010 07:12 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 2 May 11, 2009 07:41 PM