Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
I got my 5.8 GHz system up in the air today and I didn't cover a lot of distance but I'm pleased with the results. I'm using IBCrazy cloverleaf and skew wheel antennas, and a 3V camera and 3V 200mW transmitter on the quad, along with the GoPro. The quad is a DJI F450 with stock motors and ESCs but with a KK2.0 board. Running Spektrum DSM2 with my old DX7. Today was just the first test, me flying line of sight still, but the video transmission looks really good. I think my camera is out of focus though.

DJI F450 5.8GHz FPV System Test (5 min 3 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:19 AM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
My bad
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:29 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
892 Posts
Hello,
A bad guy stole my fpv gear. I buy again the tx and rx but not the google.
I had the cinemizer, the picture was good but small. So I want to wait for the fatshard HD but I do not know when it will be release.

I am thinking of buying this (for waiting), even with the low resolution it will be ok?
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/vg260-por...n-for-fpv.html

Or do you think that it is better to buy a small lcd screen?
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:20 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
1,901 Posts
Cid: I think you really do need VGA resolution to fly FPV. I tried some old cheap 320x240 like those in your link, and I just couldn't see well enough (think tree branches). I got the Vuzix 920, which are VGA, for about $190, but I think they are now discontinued?
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:17 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,643 Posts
Yes, anything under 400TVL is a waste of money... (for cameras and screens)

A basic 7"LCD would be a much better option.
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Hooking it all Up

So I've been reading up on FPV and all the equipment. Yes I'm a Newb, matter of fact this is my first post in this forum. I've been flying LOS the past year, well almost, with the goal of FPV in mind. I've got my list of gear about ready but I have some questions about hooking it all up. So here they are...

-As long as the power source voltage is within the operating voltage of the camera and VTx, adding a voltage regular in series to keep noise/voltage fluctuation down, are you free to just hook them up?
I've been looking at ordering the battery, keeping the video separate to start, and they have different C ratings, which has something to do with the batteries discharge rate....
ex a lipo 2200 mAh 3S 20C vs a 2200mAh 3s 40C lipo.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...gy_Lipoly.html
Will one give too much current to the component vs another?

-In essence my question is this... If I a have a 12V camera and VTx can I hook it to either one of the batteries above?
Can I hook it to a 12V car battery and they will work fine?(not that I will just trying to get understanding and not fry my equipment)

-Are these component set up with internal resistors to keep the current where it needs to be as long as they are in parallel with an appropriate voltage source?

Okay this was a long post for my first time, but after all my reading this is the one part I have not read anything about. And this mysterious C Rating what is the significance to it and the battery/current etc?
rednali is offline Find More Posts by rednali
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:30 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednali View Post
So I've been reading up on FPV and all the equipment. Yes I'm a Newb, matter of fact this is my first post in this forum. I've been flying LOS the past year, well almost, with the goal of FPV in mind. I've got my list of gear about ready but I have some questions about hooking it all up. So here they are...

-As long as the power source voltage is within the operating voltage of the camera and VTx, adding a voltage regular in series to keep noise/voltage fluctuation down, are you free to just hook them up?
It really depends on what devices you are using. Some devices have an internal regulator and it's usually not beneficial to hook up another regulator to those kind of devices. However, some devices like the 5.8GHz module I use do not have an internal regulator, but work ok when slightly over-powered. I will eventually add a regulator to mine, but currently what I do is use a low quality battery and the voltage drop (see below) prevents the module from overheating.

Quote:
I've been looking at ordering the battery, keeping the video separate to start, and they have different C ratings, which has something to do with the batteries discharge rate....
ex a lipo 2200 mAh 3S 20C vs a 2200mAh 3s 40C lipo.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...gy_Lipoly.html
Will one give too much current to the component vs another?
I personally think it's a good idea to keep the RC and video systems completely isolated, as I've had trouble with RC equipment before when mixing in other things to the power supply, won't get into it, it's just an opinion. Certainly there are some safe ways to use a single battery for everything, but I think if you can do separate batteries without too much weight penalty, go for it. See photo below of my system that runs on a 130mAh 1S Lipo.

Do your own research on C-ratings - it's been talked about a lot, but read what I say below about it. Your C-rating can limit your equipment but not the other way around. You can use a 5000C 2million mAh battery if you want, as long as the voltage is correct.

Quote:
-In essence my question is this... If I a have a 12V camera and VTx can I hook it to either one of the batteries above?
Can I hook it to a 12V car battery and they will work fine?(not that I will just trying to get understanding and not fry my equipment)
I think I covered that above, but if you don't get it just ask again.

Quote:
-Are these component set up with internal resistors to keep the current where it needs to be as long as they are in parallel with an appropriate voltage source?
Again as I said above, it depends on what it is - some have regulators and some don't.

Quote:
Okay this was a long post for my first time, but after all my reading this is the one part I have not read anything about. And this mysterious C Rating what is the significance to it and the battery/current etc?
Look up battery C rating on Google. When you draw power from a battery, the apparent voltage of the battery goes lower the more amps you pull. The C-rating is defined as the amount of current you can pull without suffering a significant voltage drop, and there is considerable variation in what is considered significant by different manufacturers, so the C rating is at best a ballpark number. The C-rating is expressed as a factor of the capacity of the whole battery pack - because of the way battery chemistry works, that makes sense because increasing the capacity does reduce the voltage drop.

So for example, the little 1S battery I think is 15C - let's say I pull an amp off that battery and it drops to 3.7V under that load. If I take a 20C battery of the same size and voltage, I would expect the voltage under the same one-amp load to be higher than it was for the 15C battery. That's how I can reduce the voltage of my system by using a poor quality battery, but it isn't an exact science - I should probably use a regulator.

However, look at the video I posted a few posts before this... the video transmission is crystal clear. Granted, I didn't go very far, but I got worse glitches than that at 10 feet with my old system. So, you know, you do what works, even if the theory is wack. I did a TV antenna video on Youtube about using a simple dipole instead of the "HD antenna" you can buy, and I proved that it gets better reception - that's wrong, really, because the store-bought antenna should be a better design. So you do what you do and if it works you keep doing it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:15 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
What a cute little battery
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
I have a board camera that I would like to attache to my HK pan/tilt... 2 questions regarding this:

a) I need to have some space between the board on the camera and the pan/tilt plate... which spacers do you guys use to achieve this?

b) How do I protect my board camera? Is there a cover, or a shell of some sort I can make?

Thanks!
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
64 Posts
I am running a UHF system with my 1.2ghz video system on a skywalker plane. Where should I mount my VTx?
Where should I mount my UHF Receiver antenna?

Cheers
EdenSmith123 is offline Find More Posts by EdenSmith123
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:12 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,287 Posts
Mount your antennas on opposite wingtips and you will be good to go

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Mount your antennas on opposite wingtips and you will be good to go

-Alex
Awesome! Thanks Alex
EdenSmith123 is offline Find More Posts by EdenSmith123
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:54 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Hi Pilots,

My video Rx and Tx offer 1258mhz, 1280mhz, 1320mhz, and 1360mhz. I'm using 433mhz UHF and also have a notch filter installed.

Here's my question: Would any one particular frequency work better than any of the others? Or is it all the same?

Here's why I'm asking: The 3rd harmonic on the UHF is 1299... which is really close to 1280. So I'm wondering if by picking something like 1360 would help. That way the difference is 61mhz as opposed to 19mhz.

Thoughts please?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:20 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Hi Pilots,

My video Rx and Tx offer 1258mhz, 1280mhz, 1320mhz, and 1360mhz. I'm using 433mhz UHF and also have a notch filter installed.

Here's my question: Would any one particular frequency work better than any of the others? Or is it all the same?

Here's why I'm asking: The 3rd harmonic on the UHF is 1299... which is really close to 1280. So I'm wondering if by picking something like 1360 would help. That way the difference is 61mhz as opposed to 19mhz.

Thoughts please?
Yes it should help, but it's illegal (in the US)
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:34 AM
United States, IN, Princeton
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
Wondering if someone can help me I have a Immercion video tx 5.8 600mw I bought one of the reverse polarized spironet antennas from hobbywireless.com Im not understanding what kind of adapter i need to use them I went to radio shack and couldnt find anything to link them together. Any help where to get an adapter or a way of hooking it up. Thanks again
Deadtriology is offline Find More Posts by Deadtriology