HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK_RX View Post
Alex,
Thanks for the reply. Is there any instructions around in how to set it up with a DX8 with the head tracking gear? I have no idea, other than plug it in and turn it on. I do know some settings for set ups on my planes. But the fancy programing Im new at.

So any help or were to get help would be good.

Cheers,

Rob.
Not sure. Check www.fpvmanuals.com and see if they have something posted there.

Funny, Cliff and I are the guys giving all the advice here and we fly the most basic setups: 72 MHz, maybe an OSD, no LRS, no antenna tracker...
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 09:10 AM
Australia, QLD, Raceview
Joined Jan 2011
140 Posts
Im looking at a basic set up as well. Micro transmitter and cam. I only want to fly around my local park with fpv, im not realy looking at going miles away with it. I was looking at setting up one of my Parkzone planes with a camera for some fun while flying. I had already bought the DX8 as i had a heap of rx's from my dx6i. Might have to sell it and just go buy a futaba 9 radio.
QIK_RX is offline Find More Posts by QIK_RX
Old May 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
2.4g RC, range checking, and camera lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK_RX View Post
Im looking at a basic set up as well. Micro transmitter and cam. I only want to fly around my local park with fpv, im not realy looking at going miles away with it. I was looking at setting up one of my Parkzone planes with a camera for some fun while flying. I had already bought the DX8 as i had a heap of rx's from my dx6i. Might have to sell it and just go buy a futaba 9 radio.
There is certainly nothing wrong with a DX8 or DX6i. Not my first choice perhaps because I don't have one...

Of course you can't fly RC on 2.4g with video also on 2.4g... You may even determine from ground range tests that you need to filter the FPV transmitter signal to remove harmonics that are close to the 2.4g RC (e.g. 1280x2=2560 which is close to the 2500 at the top of the 2.4g ISM band). Best to ask around on that one. Maybe even start a question thread with that question if you can't find that someone already has started one.

If OSD with GPS is in your future, you may want to research avoiding GPS interference caused by the FPV transmitter.

I would use "long range" receivers as opposed to "park flyer" receivers, but as long as you can develop a safe way to test what you already have (with the FPV radio in it and switched on) just fly what you got.

You can put your plane up a non-metallic pole (the taller the better, but 3m should be OK) on the side of a hill or top of a rise with the camera pointing toward the control surfaces and set up your FPV receiver and stand by it with the RC transmitter a long way away. Wiggle the sticks and watch the controls through the FPV video. If both work try farther, always where you can see the airplane if you were to look at it with a telescope (Line Of Sight).

One thing that catches a few beginners is to make sure you have a "wide angle" or "fish eye" lens on the camera before you fly it. A 70 degree horizontal FOV (Field Of View) is a minimum. More than maybe 120 has a lot of distortion which will be a little strange the first time you land. The ground is far away and then is suddenly close. In the middle of that range is best.

Typically a lens with a focal length of 2.5mm (120 degrees horizontal) to 4mm (67 degrees horizontal) is what you want. Most cameras come with or have an option for a 3.6mm lens. That is fine and you don't need to buy anything else unless you want to experiment. 6mm or longer is not good, but you might get away with 6mm if you have the camera mounted on a pan (left-right camera moving) servo. These numbers are for 1/3 inch sensors and work well enough for 1/4 inch sensors. The smaller the sensor, the smaller the FOV given a fixed focal length. The 1/4 inch sensors will have a slightly smaller FOV angle than than described above.

Most security cameras (the size we FPV'ers use) have 1/4 to 1/3 inch image sensors and lens FOV is not described directly. They usually tell you the focal length (which is relative to sensor size). Point being that if you have a very small or very large camera the sensor may be smaller or larger than the stock 1/4 to 1/3 and you have to do a simple ratio with the lens focal lengths listed above to determine what you need.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; May 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:37 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but I found this video to be a fabulous explanation for the different antenna designs.

There's a shout-out to IBcrazy in it too, hehe.

Flite Test - FPV Antennas - FLITE TIP (9 min 42 sec)
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old May 27, 2011, 03:40 PM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
"Geographically complex (rocky mountains)" and "don't loose FPV system"...
Hi Cliff,
if I understood correctly you suggest me a traditional receiver/transmitter system, I think to buy this because it's in Europe http://shop.righthere.nu/fpv-transmi...prod_1072.html I think that would fit...

Then I'm reading IBCrazy blog for to understand what CP antenna I need... but it's not simple.. where can I find CP antennas on sell ?
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old May 27, 2011, 04:11 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
I have buy some on http://videoaerialsystems.com/products/ good work
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old May 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonsky View Post
I have buy some on http://videoaerialsystems.com/products/ good work
Thanks
Old May 27, 2011, 05:02 PM
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
I studied a little about the links that Cliff showed me and perhaps would not recommended invest money in a Diversity receiver but rather in an antenna tracker to have polarization always perfect and always bet on the antenna model...

I hope to have said something right..?
Old May 27, 2011, 05:49 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
Do you guys get the regular free shipping form bestoffer or do you pay for the tracking number? Not sure which way to go...it's 10 bucks more to get tracking and that doesn't even work sometimes, this is why I ask. Thanks.

By the way, you guys got any coupons for them... I'm about to order my cheapo video transmitter...just getting one, two gets expensive.

Oh well, I went ahead and added a couple more items to the cart and added the tracking number just to make sure I get it. So now I'll have a new cheap watch too. Mine broke so I needed a new one, I don't need anything special, as long as the time is fine it's good to me. Hey, almost all this stuff is made in China anyway, so might as well save me a buck or two.

By the way, I got some jst connectors, but there was one other connector you had on there that I may need for it? Never mind, I found it on page 48...Oh crud, I still need a camera...well that's no good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-FEMALE-JACK-...ht_2164wt_1141
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; May 27, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:32 PM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
That receiver will cover all the 1.3g frequencies, but there are only two that are usable in the USA; 1255 and 1280. I am guessing that you are in the USA.

If you bought this (I bought one and it works well) you would get a receiver that does both of those frequencies plus a transmitter, plus a pair of decent dipole antennas. power supplies, and cables for less money ($49 shipped). The only down side I can find is that the transmitter is not the "tin can inside a heat sink" type, so you can't easily take the heat sink off the transmitter to make it lighter.

This is the only cheap system that I know of that has the uncommon 1255mhz frequency, so you can fly when everyone else has to share 1280mhz.

Ch 14 - E is 1255mhz
Ch 15 - F is 1280mhz

There are three kinds of diversity, they all need two antennas and you would need two preamps for any of them:
- a box with two receivers built in
- a circuit board that you attach to the RSSI of two standard receivers (you must attach a wire inside the receivers)
- a box that you connect the video outputs of two receivers to

Cliff
I bought the above linked combo and received it yesterday. I am building the ibcrazy cloverleaf for the tx and noticed that this model has a very small connector. Is that just an ssma connector?

Thanks,

- Joe
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old May 27, 2011, 09:50 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
Wow Joe, that's a lower price...but it's too late for me now, as I already ordered mine. Please let us know how that one turns out for you. I guess that one also has the same frequency as the one I bought, if so, that would make a backup a good choice, even if just for the transmitter that I can use on my first one. But later I guess. I did notice the antennas are different.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; May 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:45 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Not sure. Check www.fpvmanuals.com and see if they have something posted there.

Funny, Cliff and I are the guys giving all the advice here and we fly the most basic setups: 72 MHz, maybe an OSD, no LRS, no antenna tracker...
in all honesty i've having a hoot with the basics

PZ P47
HK 5.8 200
*ibcrazy's* CL/SPW antenna designs

and since i've been using CL/SPW i've not bothered with oracle diversity... simple, clean fun
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old May 28, 2011, 12:48 AM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,203 Posts
I was just wondering, is there a housing for these cameras? I'm not sure if people are making their own or if there's a housing you can get for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
get this camera, cheap and standard for many here. http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Security.html

it has great low light and okay colour. many many many people fly on this camera.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old May 28, 2011, 01:16 AM
Joined May 2011
45 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have it working now with current monitoring and gps but no return home feature. Still waiting for the dragon link but I don't think thats coming any time soon can't even get a response to an e-mail from them guys.

Anyway Thanks

Dennis
mrdaction is offline Find More Posts by mrdaction
Old May 28, 2011, 02:00 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
I was just wondering, is there a housing for these cameras? I'm not sure if people are making their own or if there's a housing you can get for them?
Housing is easy. there are mant method to keep it light for example shrink wrap, tape it down or the foam ball (I use this).
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere