HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:10 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,098 Posts
First ever fpv flight today with a buddy box spotter just in case. Amazing. So strange not having to watch plane orientation, height etc. most impressed. Didn't need my spotter to take over. Landed visually. I can see why it is so popular. My invest in a rth system eventually. 200mw 5.8 with patch ground station on modded ezystar with ailerons. Spw and clover leaf coming along with helical eventually.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:31 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Quacermacer - I never trusted Spektrum past about 1800 feet, others have pushed about a mile. You can find plenty of fun within that radius until while you improve your setup and save for a LRS. For voltage, distance etc you'll need an OSD. I use (and am happy with) Remzibi.

Uptime - sounds like you have the right approach - fly plenty, research a ton, and improve your setup gradually.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:59 PM
occasionally things work
United Kingdom, England, Evesham
Joined Aug 2009
225 Posts
Sorry to sound stupid, I'm new to fpv but what is LRS, long range system? Can these be added on to the original tx or would I have to buy a whole new system?
qacermacer is offline Find More Posts by qacermacer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:04 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
They can be added to any (most?) transmitter, but are easiest to add to a module style transmitter.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:50 PM
froots loops
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
832 Posts
I fly pod racer. small and very fast
new to fpv but no R/C
Please answer my question
Thank
saskya is offline Find More Posts by saskya
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:02 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qacermacer View Post
Sorry to sound stupid, I'm new to fpv but what is LRS, long range system? Can these be added on to the original tx or would I have to buy a whole new system?
Highly recommend investing in a quality LHS if you are considering flying any further than LOS.

Take it from someone who learned first hand 2.4 for control is not the way to go. Swiming for your plane isn't fun.

Dragon Link, EzUHF, and TSLRS are all great. RMRC is one of many Reputable FPV vendors here in the US.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/

Oh, to legally fly 433 MHz in the US you need a HAM license. I just got mine after stydying for only 7 hours. Many fail to mention this but it will keep you legal.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
I fly pod racer. small and very fast
new to fpv but no R/C
Please answer my question
Thank

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
IMHO you want too much for a start. I recommend to read the beginners thread carefully. Starting out with a diversity but linear antennas does IMHO not make much sense for a beginner. Keep it SIMPLE. The gopro usually is used as an aditional camera to record the flights so as you can watch them in HD after the flight. Few use it as the FPV camera. I asume that's also not what you want to do as there is a camera in the set you refered to.

Since (I asume) you are a beginner, I would not start with a gopro anyways. The risk of destroying it in a crash is high. Better invest in a good base system, get your feets wet and add the gopro if you feel confident enough.

HTH

Markus
I believe that it has already been answered
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qacermacer View Post
Hey guys,
Just watched your videos, they help a lot, I was wondering, if I got a turnigy 9x, what sort of range could I expect out of it?
It would go on a quad with the normal setup and I would fly on relatively flat ground in a rural area, i'm just worried that I would lose tx/RX signal before losing video signal.

I don't want to fly far, maybe 1, 2 miles max, so would this be OK?

Another question, sorry, how do I get my fpv screen to display all the vitals like battery left and distance from home etc.
I got just under 7 tents of a mile on my HiTech Aurora 9 on my quad with a 800 Mw 900 MHz Tx. I seriously doubt any other brand 2.4 would be much better without a booster or different antennas. You can fly around under a mile on 2.4 no problem but when you start to feel the need to go further you need a LRS.

Avoid the temptation to go cheep and get a 2.4 booster.

Above all else realize FPV is a humbling experience and intended to be a learning experience. Unless you hire a FPV expert to source and setup you plane you WILL run into problems no matter how much you research. This thread is great at getting started but I still see folks who expect to be able to fly x miles out as a new FPV flyer.

I'm having a blast learning from the folks who have more experience.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:15 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,098 Posts
What do people recommend for an easy to install/use RTH / OSD system for general, short distance FPV? I feel it might be worthwhile to have this as a backup (Yes, I know about issues with low alt and trees etc). Thanks.
Up
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:15 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,428 Posts
Most pilots use their intuition as their back up. OSD is great so long as the autopilot feature is disconnected. Only use autopilot because you are interested in the technology, not because you think it will save your plane. The reason is you will be testing in good conditions. When you need it, conditions will not be so good and the chance of losing your plane forever are quite high.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:16 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post

Above all else realize FPV is a humbling experience and intended to be a learning experience. Unless you hire a FPV expert to source and setup you plane you WILL run into problems no matter how much you research. This thread is great at getting started but I still see folks who expect to be able to fly x miles out as a new FPV flyer.
I just needed to quote you because this is right on the money. Well said!

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:18 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonicMan View Post
I've been reading this thread for a year now and I kind of feel dumb asking this question because I think I know the answer. Anyway here it goes, Is it okay to run a GoPro with the wifi turned on while using 2.4 for control?

Thanks,
Tonic
If you plan to fly 10-25 feet away then this is ok. However, I would assume you intend to fly further, so you should turn the Wifi off. Or even better, use a dedicated security camera.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:29 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,006 Posts
Ok I'm one of "those guys" I have never flown FPV and I want to build a High Quality ground station that will get at least 2 miles. Will I fly two miles on my first day??/ NO...... Do I "NEED" a high quality ground station?? NO.... I look at it this way.....some of us learn faster then others...(me slower) but why waste you money building a short range system when some people will out grow them very quickly. learners could drift outside there allowed learning area on short range and crash...its nice to have the added safety... I fully understand too much too soon...I understand that to be all the bells and whistles.... But a good quality ground station that will product a much stronger signal then what you need whats wrong with that??? Better signal...better video and better control....Right or wrong???
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:15 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
Ok I'm one of "those guys" I have never flown FPV and I want to build a High Quality ground station that will get at least 2 miles. Will I fly two miles on my first day??/ NO...... Do I "NEED" a high quality ground station?? NO.... I look at it this way.....some of us learn faster then others...(me slower) but why waste you money building a short range system when some people will out grow them very quickly. learners could drift outside there allowed learning area on short range and crash...its nice to have the added safety... I fully understand too much too soon...I understand that to be all the bells and whistles.... But a good quality ground station that will product a much stronger signal then what you need whats wrong with that??? Better signal...better video and better control....Right or wrong???
It depends on what you're doing to improve the situation. If your improvements increase complexity, then you're increasing the chance of problems and will need to do more testing. Even simple changes like mounting a CP antenna can cause problems, and I think the sentiment is - don't assume you'll have good results, you need to test, and beginners may not know how to test things safely and completely. For example, if you fly a mile one day, does it mean you can fly a mile the next day? Depends on where you are, and you aren't gonna know if your area is consistent until you have a lot of flight time in that area.

"Deamon" and I live in the same part of town and run into each other every now and then. I've looked at his setup, and I know where he flies, but I don't think for one second that I could simply copy his setup, go to a known flying spot, and get the same results he gets. I know that he's put in years of knowledge gathering effort, and I haven't. No amount of equipment matching can make up for that. I would probably crash a plane into a house trying to do what he does.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:40 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
The main difference between a short and long range system are the antennas.

Spend the money on a good Tx and Rx first. Buy a set of IBcrazy circular polarized antennas and you will be good for a while. When you want to push further, assuming you haven't bought one already, get a quality UHF system and your HAM license. After that add a Rx antenna with higher gain for more range.

IBCrazy (Alex) can fly crazy distances on less than 200 Mw so a good 500 Mw Tx will be good for many miles with the right antenna and component placement.

If you really feel the need to buy everything fancy right up front that is fine but I highly suggest flying the bare bones FPV setup first then add things.
RCG Plus Member