Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That is what makes it such an awesome thing to do - you can never learn everything. That's why I do it - because I like the mental challenge.
Couldn't of said it better myself
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Are you 100% sure? Many guy's have been using the Doms with DL and I haven't heard such a thing. Did you get a chance to contact Mike (user: JettPilot)? He is the manufacturer of DL. Also, maybe take a look at the DL thread and see what the guys on there are saying. Furthermore, are you using the wireless 5.8ghz module on the Doms when you're getting the disturbance?
Hi,
yes I'm 100% sure that when I power on the DL module the video displayed on the Doms becomes disturbed.
I've just written a message on DL official thread and someone is trying to help me.
No, I don't use wireless 5.8ghz module on the Doms. I use Lawmate receiver with 1,2Ghz frequencies.
IMEIV is online now Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post

Hi,
yes I'm 100% sure that when I power on the DL module the video displayed on the Doms becomes disturbed.
I've just written a message on DL official thread and someone is trying to help me.
No, I don't use wireless 5.8ghz module on the Doms. I use Lawmate receiver with 1,2Ghz frequencies.
Ok, that's super bad news for me then. Because I have the exact same setup as you. Please keep me posted. I will try to follow you on the DL thread as well. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
Quote:
Ok, that's super bad news for me then. Because I have the exact same setup as you. Please keep me posted. I will try to follow you on the DL thread as well. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
But with the same setup have you got no interferences ?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Put a ferrite around dominator goggles wires just before the goggles
Or any other goggle and that should clear your video
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
But with the same setup have you got no interferences ?
Actually, I've only checked my video on the TV. I will hook up my Dominators this weekend when I get a chance and keep you updated. I hope we can use the Dominators.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Put a ferrite around dominator goggles wires just before the goggles
Or any other goggle and that should clear your video
Will something like this work?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Here is link from great guy who help many people

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2224
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Quote:
Will something like this work?

I used to have your problem with original range video goggles and used similar ferrite as you link but not same one, as I did not want to open up goggles

My dominators however don't have this problem
But I still use ferrite,

Putting one on wires from video rx and coax from video rx antenna also helps
Especially if you use 8 watts UHF

Dominators have long wires so bundle them up so they are not loose and hang around near UHF tx, just like in the plane touching or crossing wires are not good on ground station as well

Simple tests on the ground to purposely make UHF interference works well to then clear up video, because ground tests are important
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
So I conducted a few little experiment and therefore:

1) as suggested by chanyote66 I ran the cable over my shoulder and I keeps the radio on my knees. Doing this the interference problem was reduced by 80% (my body is a shielding). This could almost be a solution but it is a bit uncomfortable and too empirical. So I went ahead...

2) the real revelation was put in front of the goggles a sheet of MuMetal (it costs like gold!). And in this case the advantage was really excellent. Holding the mu-metal plate in front of the goggles and the radio on my knees slightly bent forward the problem practically disappears. If the radio is tilted back toward themselves the problem reappears but with little intensity (but it is a suicidal move). For those unfamiliar with the mu-metal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal
So now I will cover Fatshark goggles with Mu-metal. This is applied on 3M adhesive (at least the version I purchased).

Two indications ..... I also tried the high pass filter but it did not bring any benefit.
From experiments made today I think it is not correct to think that the problem is caused only by glasses or only by the cable. From what I saw it's necessary to consider goggles and cable as one piece. So now what to do is to cover with Mu-Metal the goggles and replace the original cable with a good shielded cable with shorter length.

I will let you know....
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
984 Posts
I would like help setting up / designing a ground station. I have seen a few "suit case" setups that seam nice and compact. Ideas would be appreciated.
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
So I conducted a few little experiment and therefore:

1) as suggested by chanyote66 I ran the cable over my shoulder and I keeps the radio on my knees. Doing this the interference problem was reduced by 80% (my body is a shielding). This could almost be a solution but it is a bit uncomfortable and too empirical. So I went ahead...

2) the real revelation was put in front of the goggles a sheet of MuMetal (it costs like gold!). And in this case the advantage was really excellent. Holding the mu-metal plate in front of the goggles and the radio on my knees slightly bent forward the problem practically disappears. If the radio is tilted back toward themselves the problem reappears but with little intensity (but it is a suicidal move). For those unfamiliar with the mu-metal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal
So now I will cover Fatshark goggles with Mu-metal. This is applied on 3M adhesive (at least the version I purchased).

Two indications ..... I also tried the high pass filter but it did not bring any benefit.
From experiments made today I think it is not correct to think that the problem is caused only by glasses or only by the cable. From what I saw it's necessary to consider goggles and cable as one piece. So now what to do is to cover with Mu-Metal the goggles and replace the original cable with a good shielded cable with shorter length.

I will let you know....
IMEIV - Good timing... I just logged on to share my results right now too I'll tell you how my test went and then I have some questions for you regarding MuMetal.

My test: I basically powered up all of my components, video, OSD, VRx, Plane Rx, Futaba Tx, etc. With everything powered up, I was sitting (first beside and then in between) my VTx and VRx - Both times I got the same results which was very good picture quality with no video disturbance. I throttled up my motor with everything on and still no disturbance. Then, I noticed that as soon as I tilted the Dragonlink Tx antenna my way, the quality became not so good. When I touched the DL antenna to the goggles, the picture quality was most poor at this stage of the test. As I pointed the antenna away from my goggles, the picture quality again gradually improved.

Now- about your test: You mentioned MuMetal and covering your goggles with a special type of tape. Can you please attach a link to the tape you are referring to? As well, I would love to see pictures of your finished product so when you're done, can you please attach some picture?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Very informative - Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I used to have your problem with original range video goggles and used similar ferrite as you link but not same one, as I did not want to open up goggles

My dominators however don't have this problem
But I still use ferrite,

Putting one on wires from video rx and coax from video rx antenna also helps
Especially if you use 8 watts UHF

Dominators have long wires so bundle them up so they are not loose and hang around near UHF tx, just like in the plane touching or crossing wires are not good on ground station as well

Simple tests on the ground to purposely make UHF interference works well to then clear up video, because ground tests are important
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
984 Posts
How about one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=21KOW9BUPFQ

but a little cheaper...8900. is just a little out of my price range!!
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Last edited by crash74; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
I would like help setting up / designing a ground station. I have seen a few "suit case" setups that seam nice and compact. Ideas would be appreciated.
There is a thread that has lots of info on ground stations. Maybe you can get some ideas there also.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127491
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc