SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Quick question regarding my throttle settings. For some reason, when I throttle up to 70%, I get full throttle. So when I have the throttle stick at like 30%, I'm really getting 50% throttle output. How do I adjust this so I get 100% throttle when my stick is pushed all the way forward and not when I'm at 70%?
if your range settings on your throttle are normal (on your transmitter), pop your ESC into program mode and set the range of your throttle again
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
if your range settings on your throttle are normal (on your transmitter), pop your ESC into program mode and set the range of your throttle again
Would this be a timing issue in the ESC programming options?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:53 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:
i've never had to change timing options so couldn't tell ya
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Need some help in finding a plug like this if anyone can help.
Need it for my NAXA screen
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
No it's not the timing - that's the "phase lead" of the pulses, and generally you don't need to adjust it but for large, high torque motors, low timing seems to work better. The problem you're having is the expected throttle signal has less range than the actual throttle signal, so it tops out early. You just need to calibrate your ESC to recognize the true channel range of your radio. Teach it the end points. Most ESCs have a way of doing that, but without knowing what you're using it's impossible to say how to do it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
No it's not the timing - that's the "phase lead" of the pulses, and generally you don't need to adjust it but for large, high torque motors, low timing seems to work better. The problem you're having is the expected throttle signal has less range than the actual throttle signal, so it tops out early. You just need to calibrate your ESC to recognize the true channel range of your radio. Teach it the end points. Most ESCs have a way of doing that, but without knowing what you're using it's impossible to say how to do it.
Hi Jasmine2501,

Thank you so much! Okay, so I'm using a Turnigy Plush 40A ESC with a Suppo 2217-6T motor. Prop size is 8x4 and my battery is 3S 2200mah. My Transmitter is the Futaba 9C. If you need any more information, please let me know. If not, can you please tell me how I can adjust the throttle range based on the above info?

Your help is much appreciated.
WJ
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jasmine2501,

Thank you so much! Okay, so I'm using a Turnigy Plush 40A ESC with a Suppo 2217-6T motor. Prop size is 8x4 and my battery is 3S 2200mah. My Transmitter is the Futaba 9C. If you need any more information, please let me know. If not, can you please tell me how I can adjust the throttle range based on the above info?

Your help is much appreciated.
WJ
Plush is a solid ESC, I use them on a couple planks... they are easy to program, but this information does seem to be hard to find. You can get a programming card from HK if you want to set the timing and stuff, but for the basics, you can do it with your radio...

HobbyKing Turnigy ESC - Throttle Stick Programming (2 min 43 sec)

NOTE: With Futaba, you may have to reverse your throttle channel if you haven't already done that.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Plush is a solid ESC, I use them on a couple planks... they are easy to program, but this information does seem to be hard to find. You can get a programming card from HK if you want to set the timing and stuff, but for the basics, you can do it with your radio...

NOTE: With Futaba, you may have to reverse your throttle channel if you haven't already done that.
Thank you jasmine. I have the programming card. Any way I can set the throttle range with the card? I don't know which feature on the card refers to the throttle range.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Thank you jasmine. I have the programming card. Any way I can set the throttle range with the card? I don't know which feature on the card refers to the throttle range.
No it doesn't work that way - you need to teach it what your min and max looks like. Every radio is slightly different between brands - keep in mind we're still dealing with analog (PWM) signals for the servos, so slight differences will crop up and the ESC manufacturers have given us a nice way to deal with that, by simply teaching the ESC what to look for with a particular radio. It needs to actually observe the PWM signal coming from the receiver - to measure it exactly. The programming card can't send that signal, only your radio system can.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,474 Posts
Quote:
Quick question regarding my throttle settings. For some reason, when I throttle up to 70%, I get full throttle. So when I have the throttle stick at like 30%, I'm really getting 50% throttle output. How do I adjust this so I get 100% throttle when my stick is pushed all the way forward and not when I'm at 70%?
Try to recalibrate your throttle in the rc tx

Make your throttle trim at mid point before you do this

For ground testing use small lipo that is low in volts to be safe

It's nice also to have a 1/4 or so dead band at bottom of throttle so you can move throttle stick when in bottom position and nothing happens

If you get motor jitters in transition to motor on from not being on adjust the trim on the throttle

Programming the esc is usefull
Especially if you want longer or better efficiency less power less heat

Or the opposite most power and least efficiency

I am pretty sure simple re calibration in the rc tx will solve your problems
You should also be able to calibrate it to out put 110 percent rather than just 100 percent if you want to maximize out put

Throttle curves are great to make in the rc tx as well
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
432 Posts
Today I discovered that Fatshark Dominator goggles are unfortunately affected by a disturbance generated by the Dragon Link module.

Specifically, when I power on the DL module the video displayed in the Dominator Glasses undergo a significant disturbance... the strange thing is that, simultaneously with the glasses, I watch the video on a TV in front of me, which is not contrary to the glasses minimally affected by DL module.

In short, the Dragon Link creates a disorder that affects only the video displayed in the glasses and not the rest ...

Have you advice for me on how to solve the problem?

thanks
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post
Today I discovered that Fatshark Dominator goggles are unfortunately affected by a disturbance generated by the Dragon Link module.

Specifically, when I power on the DL module the video displayed in the Dominator Glasses undergo a significant disturbance... the strange thing is that, simultaneously with the glasses, I watch the video on a TV in front of me, which is not contrary to the glasses minimally affected by DL module.

In short, the Dragon Link creates a disorder that affects only the video displayed in the glasses and not the rest ...

Have you advice for me on how to solve the problem?

thanks
Are you 100% sure? Many guy's have been using the Doms with DL and I haven't heard such a thing. Did you get a chance to contact Mike (user: JettPilot)? He is the manufacturer of DL. Also, maybe take a look at the DL thread and see what the guys on there are saying. Furthermore, are you using the wireless 5.8ghz module on the Doms when you're getting the disturbance?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Try to recalibrate your throttle in the rc tx

Make your throttle trim at mid point before you do this

For ground testing use small lipo that is low in volts to be safe

It's nice also to have a 1/4 or so dead band at bottom of throttle so you can move throttle stick when in bottom position and nothing happens

If you get motor jitters in transition to motor on from not being on adjust the trim on the throttle

Programming the esc is usefull
Especially if you want longer or better efficiency less power less heat

Or the opposite most power and least efficiency

I am pretty sure simple re calibration in the rc tx will solve your problems
You should also be able to calibrate it to out put 110 percent rather than just 100 percent if you want to maximize out put

Throttle curves are great to make in the rc tx as well
Thanks David, I will give it a try. I just quickly glanced through my Tx and noticed that the Throttle end points are 100(down)/100(up). I'll try to play around with that to see if that changes anything. I'm assuming that is what you mean by calibration in the Tx?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
No it doesn't work that way - you need to teach it what your min and max looks like. Every radio is slightly different between brands - keep in mind we're still dealing with analog (PWM) signals for the servos, so slight differences will crop up and the ESC manufacturers have given us a nice way to deal with that, by simply teaching the ESC what to look for with a particular radio. It needs to actually observe the PWM signal coming from the receiver - to measure it exactly. The programming card can't send that signal, only your radio system can.
Thanks Jasmine. Clearly, I got a lot to learn in this hobby still
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jasmine. Clearly, I got a lot to learn in this hobby still
That is what makes it such an awesome thing to do - you can never learn everything. That's why I do it - because I like the mental challenge.