HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
hey guys, I just bought this battery and the connectors are MASSIVE. I usually fly with EC3's and the wire alone is bigger than the barrels I have for EC3 connectors.

What should I do to get EC3's on these thick gauge wires?

Thanks
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
Hmm yes, but if they are not transmitting and only "listening" they could get your signal, cant they ? Isnt this the same problem with 1280 Mhz, where amateur radio people are using 10W TX that would kill my 200mW TX, but when they are not transmitting they could pick up my signal and I would get troubles without a HAM license, would I not ?
We are sending a simple analog video signal using FM - anybody can pick it up and watch. In fact, before I do a flight at my field, I watch the 'empty' channel for a bit because we have a popular FPV location not too far away and I don't want to turn on and blow somebody away - and I expect that they would give the same courtesy to me if they turned their RX on and saw my signal. One of these days I'll turn that thing on and see FPV video from someone else, in which case I would find another channel or not fly.

The problem with aircraft is they fly away! So, the characteristics of your transmission system change during the flight. If at any time your plane gets "farther away" in terms of incoming signal strength, than some other signal, you will lose your signal. This used to happen with 72MHz RC control sometimes - everything would be fine for the range check and take-off, but you fly into someone else's control area and suddenly their radio looks louder than yours to the airplane, you're going down.

On the issue of picking up your signals and hunting you down for FCC violations - in my opinion that is extremely unlikely. However, you don't want to disrupt someone's transmission - that's just being a good citizen. I don't think what we are doing is strictly legal though, even with a HAM license - there's a rule against transmitting video from an aircraft (but I can never find it and maybe it's been removed?)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
827 Posts
Quad setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I'd use a lower power VTX. 100 mW is sufficient for more range than your quad can fly.

-Alex
Thanks Alex! Sounds like sage advice (as usual)!!!
melsailsnorth is offline Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
827 Posts
Quote:
First of, 2.4GHz is not suitable for RC control for FPV. This has been proven many times.

-Alex
Alex, I always appreciate reading your recommendations because I can always count on learning something new, bettering my setups and being able to pass that good advice on so that we can all be better at FPV. This is one topic that you've certainly addressed "a few times", lol... Would it be possible to clarify for the benefit of a lot of us "newer" pilots specifically what you mean by 2.4 ghz control. I ask this not to doubt you, but because there are so many varieties out there, and you can see such different results with each. If you are referring to stock Spektrum setups, then there's really no question... go past LOS and you are asking for problems. But moving over to other products such as FSSky or FAAST systems, and I read (pretty consistently) of range reports in excess of a mile and even more so when a 1watt booster is used with these systems. Some of these newer systems are even being sold and distributed as FPV LRS options (Range Vid) which can be confusing for someone starting out when they see conflicting info from reputable sources. This topic might be even more relevant now that a large percentage of the FPV crowd are now using quads that are limited to a ten or fifteen minute flight time anyways and typically don't venture out past a mile or so.. I myself use UHF and started-out using FM (Corona's), but I just think that if there is any merit to the possibility of using some of these other 2.4 systems, then it's surely worth pointing-out. Especially considering the overall cost for a newcomer getting started in FPV, and how inexpensive some of these new systems are (you can get a FR Sky TX/RX system for your radio for under $50). Thanks again Alex!!
melsailsnorth is offline Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Last edited by melsailsnorth; Dec 13, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
876 Posts
Williamjames,

I would simply splice a couple of pieces of 10 size wire to the battery wires. I've done this before and sorta pushed the two together, smoothed it out soldered, and hearshrinked.
The link does state that the newer ones are supposed to be shipped with #10 wire not #8.

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
Williamjames,

I would simply splice a couple of pieces of 10 size wire to the battery wires. I've done this before and sorta pushed the two together, smoothed it out soldered, and hearshrinked.
The link does state that the newer ones are supposed to be shipped with #10 wire not #8.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the idea. I like your idea best so far... the only other solution I could come up with was to solder it to EC5s and then have a adapter going to a EC3. That route seems unconventional and bulky so I'll use your method.

Thanks mate
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:16 PM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
984 Posts
I have always used deans. and every battery I get I cut the ends and solder a deans. Then I thought to my self. why keep wasting time and Money on re-soldering new connecters when I could only make a adapter to the connecter that comes with the battery to my deans. My little adapter saves me from altering my battery and possibly having a weak solder joint!!
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:54 AM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
jasmine2501, thanks for clearing that up.

But I just found this video of a guy flying 10km with 5.8G 400mW with a helical antenna Thats more that I will ever need, I just need 3-5km, I would be scared to fly further
So he uses a self made helical antenna. I dont want to build one myself, rather buy one.
First problem is that I dont know what gain he is using and secondly there seems only few places where 5.8G helical antennas are sold. Does someone has links where I can buy one with shipping to EU ?

If I get this 500mw 5.8G VTX can I use ANY 5.8G helical antenna?

So many questions Good thing I am in a right thread, arent I
I bought one but have not received it yet
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Last edited by helidex; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Spalleeng
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helidex View Post
5.8GHz Circular polarised Antenna I bought one but have not received it yet
Yea I saw those two. I wonder what the range will be? How powerful is your VTX?
Still a helical would give more range, I want to fly for 3-5km, not more.
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Yea I saw those two. I wonder what the range will be? How powerful is your VTX?
Still a helical would give more range, I want to fly for 3-5km, not more.
VTX is 200Mw, I'm yet to mount FPV set up, but test frame is flying and tuned but it will be new year before I can get to this. I'm building an Ecilop frame + Nazza +Sony NEX5, so FPV is more of a monitor for AP for me.

If no one has posted I will post my experience. HK user reviews were positive - and I like the tough plastic case.
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Anyone here is flying in 35mhz?

if so.. are you getting esporadic servo jitters ? like once every several minutes that move a bit the servos?

Sorry to quote myself.. but i havent got much info on this..

Also i need sugestions for another problem..

Any hint or sugestion to how mount the camera wire? now i have it like this:

But im having problems.. the plug was well fixed with hot glue.. (so it doesnt move), but one of the wires broke inside due to the 180 pan movements.. its like i cant put the wire in a way where is not streesed when moved 90 to each side...
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:43 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
^The sporatic jitters are because your transmitter is very close to your servos and the wires are not twisted. Twist up the wires and most of the jittering will be gone.

The other issue with the camera can be fixed by uncasing it and soldering directly to the board.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Quote:
^The sporatic jitters are because your transmitter is very close to your servos and the wires are not twisted. Twist up the wires and most of the jittering will be gone.

The other issue with the camera can be fixed by uncasing it and soldering directly to the board.

-Alex
Im experimenting servo jitter even at 1km away.. its all the sudden.. i shielded most wires and others i twisted it.. it seems to have improved but im still having some bugs..

why is so important? because i use Ikarus OSD.. you use a chanel to control the OSD functions , including autopilot.. in basic mode (there is a far complex mode wich is safer but requieres 4 free mixes and my 35mhz radio only has 3) you use a 3 position switch.. one click up will change destination (between HOLD bearing and HOME) , click down will switch between 4 diferent OSD screens (HUD1-2-3-clear screen) and leaving the switch in either position will engage the autopilot ...

well im getting unwanted screen changes ..like if i had fliped the switch but i didnt.. and its almost always at the same time i see the camera twich .. so its some interference that affects all chanels.. i even shielded the wires from the RX to the OSD with no effect..
last weekend i moved the RX from directly bellow the Video TX to the more rear and shielded all wires (except for the 2 servos wich are short and twisted.. and the wires from the ESC and the current sensor) and i think it improved and now its more cleaner.. but still i got 2 unwanted screen changes in 10m flight..

If i cant fix that the next step will be switch from the Futaba 35mhz to the FlySky 9X with FrSky 2.4 .. it will allow me to use the more complex 223 mix wich is safer and i think FrSky 2.4 is more safe than regular 35mhz?

I use 1.3Ghz Video TX but i have a friend here who flies with same VTx in 1.3ghz and FrSky 2.4 using a 1W booster , he never had problems and doesnt even use a filter.. he only shielded all wires

Also in my case people say the GPS is the thing more sensible to noise, but mine works quite good

For the camera.. yes that would take care of problems but i dont dare to solder there
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:04 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
The reason for twisting is inductive coupling. A radiated field will couple with nearby wires inducing a current in them. Twisting the wires causes the induced currents to balance and thus they knock themselves right out. This is how CAT5 and CAT6 cable work.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Quote:
The reason for twisting is inductive coupling. A radiated field will couple with nearby wires inducing a current in them. Twisting the wires causes the induced currents to balance and thus they knock themselves right out. This is how CAT5 and CAT6 cable work.

-Alex
Ok.. but .. if i have a 35mhz RX with its antenna ... and i have the OSD control wire shielded , the 2 servos wire twisted (they are 15cm long and twisted) and the ESC wire half twisted.. can noise enter throught that? would that noise only affect the motor or could affect all channels..

I dont know if the cause is noise generated from the plane itself (video Tx for example) or from the area.. it happens only some times .., it seemed located more in some areas and seemed worst the more far.. but it happens for example in some places at 150-200m ..then its all fine until you reach 1000m and so..

The point is.. it might be simple noise in the 35mhz band..the thing is how i can be sure..

If it would be the screen only i wouldnt be much bothered.. but since the same chanel controls the autopilot it should in theory be able to engage it "accidentally" ..or even worst.. engage it and change mode from HOME to HOLD and make the plane fly straight in some particular direction until i would be able to dissengage AP

still going to FrSky seems the better choice.. my goal in FPV is reach 4-5km and after that up to 10 ... thats a long term ultimate goal (no rush).. and this guy allready reachs 12km with 1w booster , yagi antenna (and SPW in plane) and with 99% RSSI
RCG Plus Member