HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
IBCrazy... I want to get into FPV and I have watched all your videos. And I know you stress all the decisions are up to us. However us new comers may still not know whats best. so we rely on pros like you who have the expert knowledge and experience. Now that I'm done buttering you up I would love help getting a FPV set-up for X-Mas. I don't want a set-up that will limit me to straight and clear. I want a set-up that will go anywhere I advance and feel comfortable going. with as CLEAR a picture as I can get! I don't like wasting money so I don't want a piece of equipment that i will have to upgrade. ( as in not capable of a advanced function) I'm the type of guy who buys the right stuff the first time and not waste more money in the long run buying and buying and buying....I'm not saying I want or need everything now.. just the best basics that I can build up from....Thx I hope I made my self clear as to what I'm looking for..also I would like a somewhat compact ground station that tracks my plane for better quality.
Step 1: Find a 72MHz control system or buy a UHF radio. UHF isn't necessary. In fact I flew mine 3 times so far and I have had it 2 years.

Step 2: FPV gear - Get either a 1280MHz or 2.3GHz video system, 600 tvl camera, and a set of BluBeam antennas and a either a screen or goggles. Keep the VTX power under 1 Watt. (I fly 200mW if that tells you anything).

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:36 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,097 Posts
I currently have a JR9503 2.4 radio. If at possable i would like to use that. I was also thinking of a dragon link. It seams to be popular.
crash74 is online now Find More Posts by crash74
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:47 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
I currently have a JR9503 2.4 radio. If at possable i would like to use that. I was also thinking of a dragon link. It seams to be popular.
That is what I use, but it's not ideal. You have to be very careful with it... 1.3GHz works, but it causes interference and I have to use the pricey receivers so I can stick a satellite way out away from my video TX. When I do a range check, the range is slightly reduced with the video TX turned on. So, I'm trying to switch to 5.8GHz - I'm not interested in super long range stuff, but 5.8GHz is ok for range (able to exceed Spektrum's range).

I agree with Alex - I don't think you need to go with UHF because 72MHz is fine. You can get some pretty good 72MHz radios right now because all the regular RC pilots are switching to 2.4 - troll the used equipment sites and see if you can find one.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:03 PM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,097 Posts
Since 72 is better for fpv i will have to also get recievers. Etc... what brand is best. Any ideas on a good radio. What about channel interferance?
crash74 is online now Find More Posts by crash74
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Since 72 is better for fpv i will have to also get recievers. Etc... what brand is best. Any ideas on a good radio. What about channel interferance?
I have a 72nhz and I fly with the Corona RP8D1 from Hobbyking. They are priced just about right at $17 + shipping. It's 9 channels, synthesized, and it has a max range of up to 1.5km. Here it is
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:11 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
459 Posts
Quote:
Controllers are really a matter of personal preference, I personally have Futaba, its been extremely reliable for me, and others would probably say the same. 5.8 video is great for picture quality, however if a mesquito flies between you Vrx and your Vtx it will cause some interferance. Not literally, but its fairly susceptible to to interferance from obstacles. So be aware of where and what you might be flying behind. My advice is do your homework, read these forums and what other pilots have experienced. When you get your technician class amateur radio license you will learn about what frequencies are good at what. FPV isn't something you can jump right into and expect to have a perfectly capable FPV rig. It takes time, so if you don't want to trash your equipment just remember baby steps.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:32 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Two part question. First regarding an FPV setup second regarding long range radio.
Questions Regarding a newbie(me) setup in mind.

My goals are two fold first take up a plane and soar into the clouds infront of me at my flying club. 2nd goal take my quad and explore low flying terrain and in around buildings mountain, woods etc..

Proposed SETUP: up to 1 mile range.

480tvl Camera,1.3GHz 400mW Transmitter,1.3Ghz Receiver 10" LCD Screen. OSD will come later. Also would get the clover leaf antenna's.

NOW a lot of this thread deals with video transmission. I'm kind of lost when it comes to my radio. I have several questions. I'm using a Spectrum DX7:
I'm assuming my DX7 with a full range Receiver ie AR6200 wont be able to reach out at 1 mile what do I do?

I was thinking of getting a Turnigy 9channel radio and modding it for long range? Or do I have options with my DX7.I don't want to do the boosted antenna as I very typically will fly at my AMA club.

If I get a Turnigy 9channel what's the best UHF module that is easy to install on the Turnigy 9ch? Would I have to get a different receiver as well for the radio or could I just use the Turnigy receiver?
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:54 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
You should be able to hit 1 mile easy with your proposed setup.

Can't comment on radios other than spektrum, but i boosted my DX8 to 1W (works with any 2.4ghz) and i get 2.5 miles easy now (probably more). 1 mile would likely be close to the limit of your DX7 + AR6200 from what i've reading the forums.

Soon as you mod any transmitter, you're gonna get the occasional look, but only from the electronic savvy AMA sticklers.

If you want to dedicate for long range, go with a UHF system, most plug into existing transmitters and latch onto the back, just check the specs on the UHF you're looking into. There are a lot of great threads here on various UHF systems. You'll need a dedicated UHF receiver for each plane you're using that tx with though.

Edit: some are legal mods (like plugging in a new frequency module on your tx), others are not necessarily (like boosting your power output), check your club rules etc.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:56 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
<snip>
My advice is do your homework, read these forums and what other pilots have experienced. When you get your technician class amateur radio license you will learn about what frequencies are good at what. FPV isn't something you can jump right into and expect to have a perfectly capable FPV rig. It takes time, so if you don't want to trash your equipment just remember baby steps.
Well said Geminiryan.

We all have to get through the "FPV filter" (not invented by me btw), which means only those will stay that have good enough basic skills like aerodynamics & electronics knowledge, soldering & building skills to mention a few. The only way to get these are learning and practising. There's no such thing as (high-grade) FPV for dummies. Once you're successful you're no dummy any more.

Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:50 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
687 Posts
I need some help from people who may be familiar with some old school stuff. I recently picked up a Hitec Optic 6 (72mhz) along with Berg Castle Creations 4 Microstamp Full Range rx's. What type of range should I expect? Better than my DX6i?

I will do a range check soon, just wanted to know what to expect. Its probably safer than my dx6i and ar400...
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2012
21 Posts
Can anyone tell me does RG58 with stranded core not work with antennas? I'm trying to troubleshoot my new setup. It works fine with the whip I made but does not work with the CL I made from RG58 with stranded core. TIA
brandonros is offline Find More Posts by brandonros
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
I need some help from people who may be familiar with some old school stuff. I recently picked up a Hitec Optic 6 (72mhz) along with Berg Castle Creations 4 Microstamp Full Range rx's. What type of range should I expect? Better than my DX6i?

I will do a range check soon, just wanted to know what to expect. Its probably safer than my dx6i and ar400...
I could never get more than .4 miles out of my Berg7. I've been out 1.5 with a corona RX, they're known for good range. You'll do better with 72 then 2.4 for sure.

Tonic
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:52 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonicMan View Post
I could never get more than .4 miles out of my Berg7. I've been out 1.5 with a corona RX, they're known for good range. You'll do better with 72 then 2.4 for sure.

Tonic
Ooooh... them's fighting words. =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
Ooooh... them's fighting words. =)
By all means, please fight then - I could learn something! haha. I know real distance is measured best ground to air, because with frensal (sp?) zones and such, it may be be a true indicator of real range.

That being said, I dont have my osd yet - planning on nova osd so if i do hit my range, there is a chance RTH may save my plane. A chance... I have only been flying out 500m on my dx6i and ar400. I hate to keep pushing it, cause i know the inevitable end result, and in a vane attempt to save my bixler if i hit the end of the range, I have a windsurfer close by.

So, blah blah blah, I have the optic 6 and the berg 4's that i picked up for $20, pretty good price I am thinking. Hopefully someone here can tell me what type of range they get on a similar setup.

Lot of options out there. Cant wait to hear the reviews on orange rx's 433mhz system... thats another story.
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:15 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
By all means, please fight then - I could learn something! haha. I know real distance is measured best ground to air, because with frensal (sp?) zones and such, it may be be a true indicator of real range.

That being said, I dont have my osd yet - planning on nova osd so if i do hit my range, there is a chance RTH may save my plane. A chance... I have only been flying out 500m on my dx6i and ar400. I hate to keep pushing it, cause i know the inevitable end result, and in a vane attempt to save my bixler if i hit the end of the range, I have a windsurfer close by.

So, blah blah blah, I have the optic 6 and the berg 4's that i picked up for $20, pretty good price I am thinking. Hopefully someone here can tell me what type of range they get on a similar setup.

Lot of options out there. Cant wait to hear the reviews on orange rx's 433mhz system... thats another story.
Well in the end everyone's FPV experiences are also heavily dependent on their environmental factors, so what works for one isn't always what works for another, but we can always take pointers!
RCG Plus Member