SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
So the only thing I'm missing is the voltage regulator? I am running a 1S lipo right into it. It gets hot when the battery is fresh, but the behavior doesn't change. It comes with an SMA connector I just didn't solder that on.

Yeah that's the behavior I would describe it's like there's no antenna at all. I couldn't get the wire they sent to attach - it was too big and not fitting in the little cavity so it wasn't making contact for me to solder it, so I grabbed some servo wire and used that, but by that time I had messed up the pad so much it didn't really attach right - for what I can see, it might be attached to the ground. I used my magnifying glass, but I really need a microscope for this little stuff. Also, shouldn't we be using solid wire for antennas anyway?
Solid wire is good as the antenna should remain straight, but it does not take a thick wire for this. i.e. a 0.6mm copper wire would do and would be solid enough.

If you put the module in front of you such that the side with five connections (powere, video and audio in etc) looks towards you and the other connections are on the top, the antenna connection would be the second from the left. The first and third are gnd connections. The following thre ones are for the channel selection.

HTH

Markus
The connection you should use is
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:04 PM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
837 Posts
Hi how come when I connect my nano fpv kit to my ladybird I get bad pic. Using 1 cell lipo that powers the board. Is there a way to stop this from happening.
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:38 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.laws View Post
Hi how come when I connect my nano fpv kit to my ladybird I get bad pic. Using 1 cell lipo that powers the board. Is there a way to stop this from happening.
What stuffs did you use?
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:28 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Solid wire is good as the antenna should remain straight, but it does not take a thick wire for this. i.e. a 0.6mm copper wire would do and would be solid enough.

If you put the module in front of you such that the side with five connections (powere, video and audio in etc) looks towards you and the other connections are on the top, the antenna connection would be the second from the left. The first and third are gnd connections. The following thre ones are for the channel selection.
On the one I got, the connections were labeled on the back, so it's pretty hard to get the wrong one, but I have trouble actually seeing this little stuff, so what I think happened is, I stuck the end of my antenna wire into the little 'hole' in the ground plate, and heated and soldered until it stuck, and I think it's actually stuck to the ground, not the antenna. I ordered two more units and I'll just consider this one a practice run. I'll be putting the SMA jack on one to use with bigger stuff and CP antennas, but for the mQX I didn't want all that extra weight. If I can't get these to work, I'll just go back to using 1.3 stuff - my 1.3 stuff works great! I just thought this might be a lighter weight alternative.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:02 PM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156 View Post
What stuffs did you use?
Model is a qr ladybird and stuff is from fpv hobby.com 5.8ghz Vtx and Vtx. 200 me power. Plugging into aux port. Did same with mcx too. Use separate battery and all well. Wots the problem?
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
I would like to know how far I can fly using this setup:

1 - 1.3ghz 800mw TX
2- CL/SPW
3 - Minimal RF noise area

I want to know the max. video range only... not how long I should expect to fly or anything like that. I have have flown FPV before, I just would like to know how far this system can go.

Cheers
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:55 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
798 Posts
I don't know a practical answer William, but for a theoretical answer you'll also need this one:

4 - receiver sensitivity in dBm

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:36 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
On the one I got, the connections were labeled on the back, so it's pretty hard to get the wrong one, but I have trouble actually seeing this little stuff, so what I think happened is, I stuck the end of my antenna wire into the little 'hole' in the ground plate, and heated and soldered until it stuck, and I think it's actually stuck to the ground, not the antenna. I ordered two more units and I'll just consider this one a practice run. I'll be putting the SMA jack on one to use with bigger stuff and CP antennas, but for the mQX I didn't want all that extra weight. If I can't get these to work, I'll just go back to using 1.3 stuff - my 1.3 stuff works great! I just thought this might be a lighter weight alternative.
Ok, this explains it then, as the vias do definately not carry the antenna signal. Doing so would be suboptimal for a HF signal on 5.8Ghz.

I have special "watchmaker" googles with 8x magnifying glasses. That helps a lot. I too could not do that without.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
I don't know a practical answer William, but for a theoretical answer you'll also need this one:

4 - receiver sensitivity in dBm

Martin
To be honest Martin, I don't even know what that is
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Need some advise

Made it out to 11/2 miles yesterday. Longest flight for me. Using 1280 vtx 72mhz rx . Video was good all the way out, started getting static on the way back right after making turn to home. Had some problem with rx link also a few times. No drop out when going away just after i turned back toward home.
I have V antenna mounted on vert. stab. Rx antenna runs under wing.
I have twisted my servo wires and it increased rx range by at least double.
(Alex recommended twisting servo wires )
Using listed equip. below

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1017
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=417
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=301

Would moving V up higher make a difference? Or maybe placeing on wing would be better? I use patch antenna setting close to ground and turn it in direction i am going to fly.
Is there a different antenna set up that would work better?
Should note only lost video completly for few seconds twice which seemed much longer. Had quite a bit of static several times.Trying to get out to about 3 miles.
I have been flying usually above 500 ft when going out to a mile or so. So signal should not be getting blocked by trees. Pretty safe to fly high where i fly, planes flying under 2000 ft will fly into mountain side.
Your thoughts, ideas appreciated.
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
Antenna placement

Michael,

I have the same antenna. I've placed mine out on the wing with my DragonLink antenna on the other wing. Been out about 4.5 miles with this setup and the video always gets better on the return trip due to the placement but it's actually still very good before I turn back too. I'm running RMRC 1.3Ghz Vtx but mine is 1500mW.

I'm using Alex's BiQuad antenna on a tracker. I believe it has a little higher db than your patch (maybe 11db).

Kent
KentF is offline Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
Michael,

I have the same antenna. I've placed mine out on the wing with my DragonLink antenna on the other wing. Been out about 4.5 miles with this setup and the video always gets better on the return trip due to the placement but it's actually still very good before I turn back too. I'm running RMRC 1.3Ghz Vtx but mine is 1500mW.

I'm using Alex's BiQuad antenna on a tracker. I believe it has a little higher db than your patch (maybe 11db).

Kent
Nice plane Kent thanks for input. Been looking at one of those on RMRC web sight.I am flying a Skywalker at present time for FPV. Looking to get a new plane in future and have been considering one like you have. Skywalker's are nice planes but by the time you order one from china and have to buy all the materials to reinforce wings along with all controls the penguin comes in at about same price.

Is your vtx out under wing also, or did you extend the antenna cable? Cable on my v antenna is pretty short. Do you think the Biquad would be better just using it without tracking.
Do you have any videos posted of your plane flying FPV?
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:48 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
I have special "watchmaker" googles with 8x magnifying glasses.
Do you have a link for that? I just use reading glasses from the store.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Nice plane Kent thanks for input. Been looking at one of those on RMRC web sight.I am flying a Skywalker at present time for FPV. Looking to get a new plane in future and have been considering one like you have. Skywalker's are nice planes but by the time you order one from china and have to buy all the materials to reinforce wings along with all controls the penguin comes in at about same price.

Is your vtx out under wing also, or did you extend the antenna cable? Cable on my v antenna is pretty short. Do you think the Biquad would be better just using it without tracking.
Do you have any videos posted of your plane flying FPV?
Michael
I mount the vtx under the wing and run the antenna up through a hole. Seems to work well but I had to add a little weight to the opposite wing because the dragonlink antenna is not very heavy. The BiQuad will get you more distance but has a more narrow beam. I think there are people (even IBCrazy) that use a biquad without a tracker. I think I remember seeing him post that.

Sorry no videos right now. One of these days I'll get around to getting a small DVR.

Kent
KentF is offline Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:48 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
If you are having trouble getting past 1.5 miles, you need to evaluate your ground station. Make sure your patch is in the correct polarization and nothing is disturbing the Fresnel zone. Mount your antenna on the wing as well.

The below flight was done on 125uW (1/8th mW). This is over 5,000 times weaker than your system.

125uW test flight - 2250 feet (3 min 18 sec)

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy