HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
16 Posts
Hey guys!
Hey ive been having trouble with my signal on my fpv plane (with the fpv signal and plane signal). I have (tx/rx 5.8ghz 200mW) and a 2.4ghz transmitter. I have been trying to do on-ground range tests. I would stay in one place and my brother would walk out with my plane and see how far it will go. when i look at my screen for the video the picture of the satellite dish keeps blinking. and thats all the time. I know there are suppose to be bars for how much signal you have but I have yet to see any bars. and then my radio doesn't seem to go out very much either. Can someone please help me. I would go to a local hobby store for help but where i live the last one just left my area.

for the fpv equipment:
the OSD is a cyclops osd from foxtech fpv (http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-ce...%89-p-170.html)

the camera is a kx191 from range video (http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=111)

the tx/rx are from foxtech fpv 5.8ghz 200Mw (http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html)

The video screen is my mac with the easycap from amazon. (ive tested it and it works) and the antennas are skew planner/ clover leaf 5.8ghz. For more info I have one battery powering the plane and one powering the ground station. one on the plane is turnigy 2200mah 3 cell 11.1v and the ground station is turnigy 1300mah 3 cell 11.1v both are from hobbyking.

Some one please help! I want to be able to fly this with out worries. And i want to fly it before I leave for my military basic training. Thank you for Anyone who is willing to help I sincerely appreciate it! THANKS
brillobrother is offline Find More Posts by brillobrother
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
Hmm... Video shouldn't be an issue with a cloverleaf/skew wheel combination unless you bought one of the really cheap sets.

However radio range. Can I guess Spektrum RC control? If so, that's your problem with control.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillobrother View Post
Hey guys!
Hey ive been having trouble with my signal on my fpv plane (with the fpv signal and plane signal). I have (tx/rx 5.8ghz 200mW) and a 2.4ghz transmitter. I have been trying to do on-ground range tests. I would stay in one place and my brother would walk out with my plane and see how far it will go. when i look at my screen for the video the picture of the satellite dish keeps blinking. and thats all the time. I know there are suppose to be bars for how much signal you have but I have yet to see any bars. and then my radio doesn't seem to go out very much either. Can someone please help me. I would go to a local hobby store for help but where i live the last one just left my area.

for the fpv equipment:
the OSD is a cyclops osd from foxtech fpv (http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-ce...%89-p-170.html)

the camera is a kx191 from range video (http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=111)

the tx/rx are from foxtech fpv 5.8ghz 200Mw (http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html)

The video screen is my mac with the easycap from amazon. (ive tested it and it works) and the antennas are skew planner/ clover leaf 5.8ghz. For more info I have one battery powering the plane and one powering the ground station. one on the plane is turnigy 2200mah 3 cell 11.1v and the ground station is turnigy 1300mah 3 cell 11.1v both are from hobbyking.

Some one please help! I want to be able to fly this with out worries. And i want to fly it before I leave for my military basic training. Thank you for Anyone who is willing to help I sincerely appreciate it! THANKS
The kx191 camera is very RF noisy. That may be your problem.
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:01 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
hey guys,

I want to mount my Video RX on a long pole. I'm flying on 1280mhz and am wondering if it matters if my pole is metal, wood, etc...??
As long as the rx antenna is at least one wavelength above the rx and above that pole, it's material is not that important. It depends on the type of antenna used wether metal would be better or worse, but as long as you take care of the above mentioned, eitherway will be fine.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:19 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
As long as the rx antenna is at least one wavelength above the rx and above that pole, it's material is not that important. It depends on the type of antenna used wether metal would be better or worse, but as long as you take care of the above mentioned, eitherway will be fine.

Markus
I seen guys fly very far away with rx mounted on the back of a patch with very good video and no problems.

But keeping the back of a patch antenna clear and free with no rx or signal blocking material you will be able to fly behind video rx antenna better

I use PVC swivel and couplings to mount antennas on wooded poles
These two materials are good for signal compared to conductive materials

The separation of actual video rx and rc tx antennas has been found to work best at the least one wave length

But I also seen guys fly very long range with actual video rx antenna and a rc tx mounted on its back, with big battery on back of patch
So both are actually touching and mounted together with no separation at all

I prefer non conductive poles or mounts for fpv, as its nice to fly behind the ground station antennas as effectively as possible
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:26 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I seen guys fly very far away with rx mounted on the back of a patch with very good video and no problems.

But keeping the back of a patch antenna clear and free with no rx or signal blocking material you will be able to fly behind video rx antenna better

I use PVC swivel and couplings to mount antennas on wooded poles
These two materials are good for signal compared to conductive materials

The separation of actual video rx and rc tx antennas has been found to work best at the least one wave length

But I also seen guys fly very long range with actual video rx antenna and a rc tx mounted on its back, with big battery on back of patch
So both are actually touching and mounted together with no separation at all

I prefer non conductive poles or mounts for fpv, as its nice to fly behind the ground station antennas as effectively as possible
Antennas like patches (or dish, helical etc.) which have a reflector that thus shields the "backside" of said reflector from the antenna of course allow to mount the rx or other compontens directly onto or behind this reflector. With omni directional antennas this is obviousely not possible.

Some patches even work best when placed on the ground, but that's more an exception for this antenna type. Most other antennas go with the saying place as much antennas as freely and high as you can into the air.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Looking at the dx18 as an upgrade over my 8. I have UHF but the advantage of the extra channels and finger sliders look attractive.

Anyone here use the 18?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Antennas like patches (or dish, helical etc.) which have a reflector that thus shields the "backside" of said reflector from the antenna of course allow to mount the rx or other compontens directly onto or behind this reflector. With omni directional antennas this is obviousely not possible.

Some patches even work best when placed on the ground, but that's more an exception for this antenna type. Most other antennas go with the saying place as much antennas as freely and high as you can into the air.

Markus
All video rx antennas have some video that can be utilized from behind

This is why we keep the back of it clear and free
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
771 Posts
David, I think it's not a simple yes/no, e.g. for a dish I think it is convenient to mount it at the centre backside. So keeping the back clear could be cumbersome while it is rarely helpful. I think guys that use a high-gain antenna but want to fly all around too are better off with a second (omni-)antenna with diversity. For them it doesn't matter at all what's behind the high-gain antenna.

But even without diversity I doubt whether metal objects in close proximity of the metal reflector have a noticeable impact, pertaining to backside-reception.

Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:34 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Looking at the dx18 as an upgrade over my 8. I have UHF but the advantage of the extra channels and finger sliders look attractive.

Anyone here use the 18?
how many channels are you running via UHF?
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Now, currently four on my tricopter. I did just get a naza though and I have a range link tax.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
dpcav rssi video receiver mod help!

anyone install one of these dpcav rssi meters on a lawmate 1.2ghz video receiver, bought this from hobbywireless and they show the install on a 900mhz r/x only... im trying to find the signal pin or post to solder to, thanks in advance
mykwilwin is offline Find More Posts by mykwilwin
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillobrother View Post
Hey guys!

for the fpv equipment:

your osd satellights bars blinking? it might be you have not acquired satellights yet
mykwilwin is offline Find More Posts by mykwilwin
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:28 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
David, I think it's not a simple yes/no, e.g. for a dish I think it is convenient to mount it at the centre backside. So keeping the back clear could be cumbersome while it is rarely helpful. I think guys that use a high-gain antenna but want to fly all around too are better off with a second (omni-)antenna with diversity. For them it doesn't matter at all what's behind the high-gain antenna.

But even without diversity I doubt whether metal objects in close proximity of the metal reflector have a noticeable impact, pertaining to backside-reception.

Martin
Yes flying behind antennas is not good practice if you fly fast plane or weak set up

But it works well if you know your video set up and tested it from behind

Clear and free are good terms re fpv

Even with high gain antenna behind works well
Close in flying high directional is not good

You need to pick specific antennas for specific flight

This iPhone sucks
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,592 Posts
[mmmQUOTE=David22;23408213]Yes flying behind antennas is not good practice if you fly fast plane or weak set up

But it works well if you know your video set up and tested it from behind

Clear and free are good terms re fpv

Even with high gain antenna behind works well
Close in flying high directional is not good

You need to pick specific antennas for specific flight plan
Or pick middle dbi for all around flying

It really depends on what you plan on doing

I use omni for rc car up high in middle of field with omni on rc car for best results
As special antennas do not as good a job

If I plan on long range I change out antennas

Or fun fly close range different ones

There is no one way to set up a fpv system
Every particular situation if of different situation

Every plane or rc car is of different needs or wants to do as you want or need

This iPhone sucks[/QUOTE]