HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Registered FPVer :)
markus123456's Avatar
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I'm looking now for a cost efficient RP-SMA antenna suitable for use with the HK 5.8ghz / 200W FPV kit. Ideally this item will be competitively priced, perhaps with a target below $50-, well made and reliable, and capable of supporting 1km to 1.5km range.

Do you know of a good quality budget RP-SMA FPV antenna?

Thanks!
I'd like to send you a PM, but either they changed the UI and I don't find that option on your profile, or you disabled it?

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Gravity - It's the law
Yabba's Avatar
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Wavy Video

Can anyone help me out?

I am getting waves and jumping near the top of my video.

1280 mhz RMRC vtx with Oracle Diversity and RMRC upgraded SAW vrx's on receiving end. Inverted V transmit and Heliax and Cloverleaf on the rxs.

Feeds a 5.8g 25mw relay to groundstation with CPCL on rx.

video from the relay feeds a Japan SD-4 DVR and the video out from that goes to a Haier 10" monitor.

I use a DragonLink LRS with Dragon OSD.

I can cause interferrence from the DL by placing tip of the antenna within 4 inches of the 5.8 receiving antenna (right at beginning of vid) but I'm aware of this and it is not what is concerning me right now.

The waviness at the top of the vid is what I'd like to cure.

Thanks for any help. I should also mention that I'm using Cat6 cabling for my Vtx/OSD/Cam.

Yabba

Video Waviness (0 min 49 sec)
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Wavieness is often a problem with video sychronization. Drop the diversity and go right to the VRX with your screen. See if it goes away.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
I Toast Planes
bakon's Avatar
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade from a small 5 inch lcd screen to video googles. It seems like Fatsharks are the most used. I am looking at the Fatshark Predator V2 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_5_8G_TX.html) and I like it but it does not seem to offer as much upgrade capacity as the dominator. I know eventually I will want to be running at least two receiver antennas and this is only possible through a ground station but I do not think I would be able to connect the Predator V2 to this. Is the dominator worth the $300 dollars for just the googles?
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 AM
FPV'r
ror1's Avatar
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
I'm looking to upgrade from a small 5 inch lcd screen to video googles. It seems like Fatsharks are the most used. I am looking at the Fatshark Predator V2 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_5_8G_TX.html) and I like it but it does not seem to offer as much upgrade capacity as the dominator. I know eventually I will want to be running at least two receiver antennas and this is only possible through a ground station but I do not think I would be able to connect the Predator V2 to this. Is the dominator worth the $300 dollars for just the googles?
if you buy get dominator or vuzix920
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:21 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Hey Guys I need a little guidance on where to mount my 1.3 800mw VTX on my Penguin.

I have been taking my time building my Penguin to make sure I have everything setup perfect (always need to tweak things with FPV). I will be running IBcrazy's BlueBeam antenna set and was curious if mounting the VTX with BlueBeam Antenna behind the prop in line with the Rudder? I was thinking mounting on a wing would work too, but think behind the prop on the fuselage would be cleaner.

Would love to hear what you guys think would be the best spot for the VTX and Bluebeam!

Thanks Again,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
polyfractal's Avatar
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
I'm looking to upgrade from a small 5 inch lcd screen to video googles. It seems like Fatsharks are the most used. I am looking at the Fatshark Predator V2 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_5_8G_TX.html) and I like it but it does not seem to offer as much upgrade capacity as the dominator. I know eventually I will want to be running at least two receiver antennas and this is only possible through a ground station but I do not think I would be able to connect the Predator V2 to this. Is the dominator worth the $300 dollars for just the googles?
I have the Fatshark Predator (not V2, mine has the integrated head tracker). I've never used any other goggles, so I can't compare, but I like them a lot.

The Predators (spec sheet here) have a 25 degree FOV, which means the image is "further away" and sharper. It looks more like you are sitting in a dark room with the TV farther away from you. The upside is that details like OSD numbers are crisper.

The Dominators (spec sheet here) have a 30 degree FOV, which means the image will look "closer". Since it's the same resolution LCD, the resulting image will be blurrier.

Some people like the immersiveness of the Dominators, some people like the crisp image of the Predators. I chose the Predators because they were slightly cheaper. Both sets of goggles have a full AV in/out port via a 3.5mm headphone jack, so you can wire your goggles into your groundstation instead of using the built-in receiver. There is a little switch on the goggles to turn off the receiver.
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Hey Guys I need a little guidance on where to mount my 1.3 800mw VTX on my Penguin.

I have been taking my time building my Penguin to make sure I have everything setup perfect (always need to tweak things with FPV). I will be running IBcrazy's BlueBeam antenna set and was curious if mounting the VTX with BlueBeam Antenna behind the prop in line with the Rudder? I was thinking mounting on a wing would work too, but think behind the prop on the fuselage would be cleaner.

Would love to hear what you guys think would be the best spot for the VTX and Bluebeam!

Thanks Again,
That is where most people put it. Out on the wing is another good choice.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:25 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
if you buy get dominator or vuzix920
Agreed. The EVG920s are also excellent.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That is where most people put it. Out on the wing is another good choice.
Thanks for the reply Alex! Much appreciated!

Cheers,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
Registered User
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Hello guys .

I am totally new to FPV and I am considering to invest in the fastshark complete system including GPS , 600mW transmitter, elogger, osd pro and so on.....

My problem is that I have some myopie about -6.5 with a beginning of astigmaty .
I saw on Hobby-King that you can get some-6 lenses but I don't know how to correct the astigmaty problem .

Does anyone suffer from the same problem and is there a solution ? I don't want to invest a lot of money just to find out I can't see clearly .

Thanks for your advices guys .
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
FunkMaster
KentF's Avatar
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette View Post
Hello guys .

I am totally new to FPV and I am considering to invest in the fastshark complete system including GPS , 600mW transmitter, elogger, osd pro and so on.....

My problem is that I have some myopie about -6.5 with a beginning of astigmaty .
I saw on Hobby-King that you can get some-6 lenses but I don't know how to correct the astigmaty problem .

Does anyone suffer from the same problem and is there a solution ? I don't want to invest a lot of money just to find out I can't see clearly .

Thanks for your advices guys .
Not sure I can tell you for sure but I can tell you my experience. I am near sighted and wear contact lenses. With my contact lenses in, I cannot read paper in front of my face without using reading glasses (2.0 power I believe). If I wear my contact lenses, I can see the screens just fine. Without my contacts in, I suspect I would need to use the lenses that you can buy for the fatsharks. I have the lenses but have never tried them since I always wear my contact lenses.

Hope that helps some.

Kent
KentF is offline Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette View Post
Hello guys .

I am totally new to FPV and I am considering to invest in the fastshark complete system including GPS , 600mW transmitter, elogger, osd pro and so on.....

My problem is that I have some myopie about -6.5 with a beginning of astigmaty .
I saw on Hobby-King that you can get some-6 lenses but I don't know how to correct the astigmaty problem .

Does anyone suffer from the same problem and is there a solution ? I don't want to invest a lot of money just to find out I can't see clearly .

Thanks for your advices guys .
Save your money and forget all the bells an whistles. You don't need them, nor do you really want them for learning. Buy a camera, VTX, VRX, and a set of goggles or a portable TV from a reputable FPV vendor (ie not HobbyKing or RC4Y, ect) and go fly your airplane. Start adding on once you have 10 flights under your belt.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Save your money and forget all the bells an whistles. You don't need them, nor do you really want them for learning. Buy a camera, VTX, VRX, and a set of goggles or a portable TV from a reputable FPV vendor (ie not HobbyKing or RC4Y, ect) and go fly your airplane. Start adding on once you have 10 flights under your belt.

-Alex
That's priceless information and very accurate. I tried starting off with a complex system from the get-go and it was very soon that I learned that I had wasted a lot of my money.
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:01 PM
Registered User
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
I know this is the right thing to do but there is a guy selling the complete set for cheap so either I get it all or nothing .

Anyway, I am not sure about my vision and that is cooling me down .
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Talk 11 Dec 30, 2011 08:22 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 07:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 09:56 PM
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 8 Sep 12, 2010 08:12 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 2 May 11, 2009 08:41 PM