HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
I see a lot of talk about separating transmitters and receivers within the airplane for maximum distance. Can anyone tell me if it's just the antennae that need to be separated or do the actual tx/rx's need to be kept apart?

As always, thanks for all the input. This forum is a great source of information.

Kent
It depends on how well the tx and rx are engineered. Some are more prone to radiation into their electronics, others less. Asuming you have an ideally shielded tx/rx, sepearteing the antennas would seem to be sufficient. However, you should also keep in mind that at least in case of the video transmitter, it's a bad idea to extend the coax cable. Another reason why actually seperateing the rx and tx themselfes is the best aproach.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
I'm sure you refer to the 400mW variant of this setup. In fact, FoxTech lowered the price significantly over the introduction price. See here:

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/58g-400mw-...ter-p-544.html

I can recommend this tx, it's well designed. However do not expect a lot better performance from it over the 200mW version. It DOES deliver more, but only about 1/3 more range. One has to increase power by the factor of four to double the range.

The other thing is that the $75 is for the tx only where as this combo here:

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html

is the tx AND rx at $59 so....

Markus
Yes, you are correct. Excellent.

Thanks!
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:10 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
It depends on how well the tx and rx are engineered. Some are more prone to radiation into their electronics, others less. Asuming you have an ideally shielded tx/rx, sepearteing the antennas would seem to be sufficient. However, you should also keep in mind that at least in case of the video transmitter, it's a bad idea to extend the coax cable. Another reason why actually seperateing the rx and tx themselfes is the best aproach.

HTH

Markus
Yes
And with ground testing and good choice of fpv components

Less or basically no separation is needed

It's the noisy things or rxs that are not good that you want to avoid
If you want everything nice and close
For obvious reasons

Moving stuff away can be a haste and a real drag excuse the pun
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
249 Posts
Thanks David and Markus. Good info. I was out about 2 km today and the video was getting a little static. Just then the diversity switched to my biquad and it was back to perfect. I didn't realize before it switched that I was still on the dipole.

Got 4 flights today each one out about 2 to 3 km. Not too bad for the first day with my DragonLink and EagleEyes tracker.

Thanks again.

kent
KentF is offline Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
Thanks David and Markus. Good info. I was out about 2 km today and the video was getting a little static. Just then the diversity switched to my biquad and it was back to perfect. I didn't realize before it switched that I was still on the dipole.

Got 4 flights today each one out about 2 to 3 km. Not too bad for the first day with my DragonLink and EagleEyes tracker.

Thanks again.

kent
You weren't getting static. That was multipathing. A pair of dipoles won't fuzz out for several miles. It's multipathing that takes them out. The BiQuad is great to defeat multipathing due to its directionality.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
FPV Start Up Kit -- Please Review LIst...

I'm ready to buy one of these two entry level 5.8ghz, 200W TX/RX kits:

1. The HK 5.8ghz / 200W kit.

2. The FoxTech 5.8ghz / 200W kit.

If you had to intall and fly one of these TX/RX kits, which would you choose? Why? Do you know of a better entry level 5.8ghz / 200W kit?

Does the FoxTeck TX truly run well off of the airplane's main lipo? Is an extra filter required? Which HK nano 3S lipo would be good with the HK TX? Which HK nano 2S lipo would be good with the HK RX?

I'm planning to buy a 5.8ghz Spironet Antenna Set.

Will the SpiroNet Antenna work equally well with either FoxTech or HK kits under consideration?

In case I get the FoxTech TX I'd get an adapter for the SpiroNet Antenna. Is this adapter right for the FoxTech?

I'm planning to get this 1/3 inch Sony CCD Video Camera to supply the FPV signal.

Would this camera be suitable to use with FoxTech / HK TX kits?

I'm also planning to get this Super Simple Mini OSD.

Should this OSD work equally well with either of the TX/RX combos under consideration?

I haven't yet decided on a viewing screen. I'll likely get a cheap 8" VDT to begin with, to demonstrate concept / trouble shoot / take baby steps flying LOS with glimpses at the screen. Do you know of a good cheap small video display that would be good as a first step?

I'll likely want to step up to some version of wrap around FPV goggles sooner rather than later. What would be a good set of economical wrap around goggles with the key must have features -- goggles that would be compatible with both of the TX/RX kits under consideration (FoxTech / HK)?

For background and context, I'm planning to install this kit on an FSU Axon I'm currently building from scratch as per the Experimental Airlines protocol.

I'll appreciate advice / guidance on any or all of the items on this list -- thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I'm ready to buy...
-- thanks!
To make the story short.

- The tx/rx sets are identical, FoxTech just has a different sticker on them. You don't need aditional filtering here.

- Sprionet antennas require an adaptor which is a bad thing on 5.8Ghz. Their performance as well as the performance of the other antennas you mentioned is compareable and not that great but soso. Hence go for antennas with the propper matching connectors. You need RP-SMA.

- The camera is a good idea to start as it's cheap but still delivers a surprizingly good picture.

- The OSD is too simple. You want one with GPS sensor hence a home arrow and you also want one with a curent sensor to know how much battery is left. The Flytron Simple OSD XL with the matching GPS sensor is a good choice, or the SimpleOSD from Cyclops or also the F-TEK OSD Video Overlay Module w/GPS sold by HobbyKing.

- Check DealExtreme for simple monitors they have good deals.

- goggles are currently a real problem. It seems like besides FatShark all others are either no longer available or sold out. FatSharks that are available seem to be all models with built in receivers which is something you don't need with the setup you mentioned. Also range is limitted with built in receivers because of the limitted antenna options. Alternatives are the headplays which are available (Rangevideo), but require some modding. The AIO-Video-Goggles also get some good reviews but due to the two built in receivers they are costly. At least those receivers would be compatible with the setup you have in mind. IBCrazy uses EVG920D goggles and seems to like them. They would be available here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Video...476623032.html But those also require some modding.

HTH

Markus
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,257 Posts
I use the Vuzix 920 video glasses, which also take some modding.
http://www.amazon.com/Vuzix-329T3001...=vuzix+wrap920

GoPro Hero Q? Are many of you using this camera for FPV? Seems as fall turns to winter, and the sun gets lower I'm having more and more problems with my Gopro's exposure. I was out at 1pm yesterday, and the image was so dark it was causing me problems. I've had trouble before, but only late afternoon. I'm guessing a 1/3" Sony 600 would be much better?

Thanks
Gary
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:29 PM
Austrian FPV Freak
Austria
Joined Sep 2008
245 Posts
FPV Setup Secrets - RCSchim

Hi guys,
I confess I didn't read the whole thread here, maybe someone already did a similar vid...
I did this in german and later did a voiceover for you english speaking folks:
FPV Setup Secrets - english Version! Groundstation, Diversity,TV Box,Fatshark... (RCSchim) (13 min 21 sec)

Here are some links from things covered in the vid:
I fly using 2,4GHz for video transmission and UHF (433mhz) for Radio control. Videos are recorded onboard with GoProHD2 cam.

►► Index of this long vid:
2:17 TV Box (Closeup: 4:16)
3:50 Groundstation Closeup
4:55 UHF Longrange Radio
6:15 TBS Discovery
10:02 Fatshark Antifog
11:26 RF Explorer Frequency Checker

► Groundstation / LRS UHF Radio Tower
► Antennas
► LED TV: Orava LT 411 LED A62b
► TBS Discovery
► Emergency beeper
► Antifog Fluid for goggles
► RF Explorer

Greetings,
RCSchim
schim is offline Find More Posts by schim
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
Markus,

Thank you for the excellent advice. The currently offered version of the HK branded model seems to offer inline SMA connection, which, if true, might work with the SpiroNet antenna. I'll look into this. I will take heed of your advice to avoid using an adapter so as to avoid needless degradation of performance.

Good to know that the camera is a decent starter option -- thanks for the confirmation.

Your advice on OSD is especially useful. As you suggest, GPS / home arrow / current sensors are all a must -- I'll look into the models you recommend.

As the goggle situation is presently affected by shortages / complexities / limitations, I'll likely get a cheap and simple 8" video display terminal just to get started.

Thank you!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
HK 5.8ghz / 200W TX/RX -- Spironet Antenna Compatibility?

While I suspect that Markus is correct that the HK and Foxtech 5.8ghz / 200W kits are the same, I would like to find reconfirmation on one small point pertaining to the listed technical specs.

This HK 5.8ghz / 200W TX/RX kit is listed as having an SMA antenna interface (whereas the FoxTech kit lists an RB-SMA interface).

This Skew Planar antenna kit is listed as being "SMA connector compatible".

Has HK posted a wrong spec in their listing? Does their kit use "RB-SMA"? Or would the SpiroNet antenna work with the HK kit plug 'n play?

Is the Spironet listing of "SMA connector compatible" waffling? Meaning, does the Spironet antenna have an SMA connector? Or do they mean that you can use the Spironet antenna via an SMA connector (using an appropriate adapter)?

Have you seen a Spironet antenna, or can you tell by looking at their listing if their antenna is straight up "SMA"? What about the HK 5.8ghz / 200W kit? Is it SMA?

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
While I suspect that Markus is correct that the HK and Foxtech 5.8ghz / 200W kits are the same, I would like to find reconfirmation on one small point pertaining to the listed technical specs.

This HK 5.8ghz / 200W TX/RX kit is listed as having an SMA antenna interface (whereas the FoxTech kit lists an RB-SMA interface).

This Skew Planar antenna kit is listed as being "SMA connector compatible".

Has HK posted a wrong spec in their listing? Does their kit use "RB-SMA"? Or would the SpiroNet antenna work with the HK kit plug 'n play?

Is the Spironet listing of "SMA connector compatible" waffling? Meaning, does the Spironet antenna have an SMA connector? Or do they mean that you can use the Spironet antenna via an SMA connector (using an appropriate adapter)?

Have you seen a Spironet antenna, or can you tell by looking at their listing if their antenna is straight up "SMA"? What about the HK 5.8ghz / 200W kit? Is it SMA?

Thanks!
Trust me, HK just is not precise enough. I mean RP-SMA is still an SMA connector. The reversed polarity just defines it more precisely. So, strictly speaking HK is not wrong, albeit not precise enough as this obviousely matters. You are not the first to ask and aslong as they do not update the information the uncertainty goes on. The spiros on the other hand ARE pure SMA, so the two go not together without an adapter.

If you're still in doubht, I bought one of those sets from HK, as well as from HiModel, FoxTech etc. etc. over the time. They are truly all the very same and yes the all DO have RP-SMA connectors.

There are suppliers out there offering CL/SPW antennas with RP-SMA connectors.

HTH

Markus
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Whats the benefit or difference aside from being reveresed to a rp sma connector?
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Whats the benefit or difference aside from being reveresed to a rp sma connector?
There is no difference or benefit of one system over the other.

With the advent of consumer HF equipement requiereing connectors, RP-SMA was invented to prevent consumers from connecting better antennas (read higher gain antennas) to their wireless routers. That was in a sense a bad decission since the market simply adjusted to this and now we have the mess of the two worlds.

At microwave frequencies, one should avoid to use adaptors if ever possible. So, if one knows what system he's ordering or using, he should order matching antennas that do not require an adaptor. Of course, an adaptor still works, but depending on the quality of said adaptor it costs little or a lot in terms of performance. There are really badly engineered adaptors for cheap around where you have a lot of loss, or even worse some self resonance etc. A good highest quality adaptor can costs up to $50 a pop, makeing the adaptor idea in the context of our still compareably cheap antennas questionable. Adaptors can have a hughe impact or close to none. It depends on their quality. If ones target is to only buz around in closer proximity, and asuming the adaptor in question is not the worest one, it probably does not matter that much though.

HTH

Markus
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
I'm looking now for a cost efficient RP-SMA antenna suitable for use with the HK 5.8ghz / 200W FPV kit. Ideally this item will be competitively priced, perhaps with a target below $50-, well made and reliable, and capable of supporting 1km to 1.5km range.

Do you know of a good quality budget RP-SMA FPV antenna?

Thanks!