HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my system and could use some help. Recently, I have taken my plane out to fly but my camera (RMRC-540) can't see anything. It completely blacks out the ground and the sky can only be seen slightly. It is completely unusable. I have been using this camera for a long time and only recently has this been a problem.

Here's the thing: I just switched out the transmitter cable and it always comes loose. I think that could be the problem- it's loose so it's not delivering the full picture. I can't get the cable plug to stay in the transmitter: it just falls out because it is too loose. I like ReadymadeRC a lot and they have awesome products, so I know this is a bit of an aberration for them.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jim
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastxp View Post
did you lose sing at .4 miles? i wuz hopeing at least 11/2 miles.
Yes.
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:12 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my system and could use some help. Recently, I have taken my plane out to fly but my camera (RMRC-540) can't see anything. It completely blacks out the ground and the sky can only be seen slightly. It is completely unusable. I have been using this camera for a long time and only recently has this been a problem.

Here's the thing: I just switched out the transmitter cable and it always comes loose. I think that could be the problem- it's loose so it's not delivering the full picture. I can't get the cable plug to stay in the transmitter: it just falls out because it is too loose. I like ReadymadeRC a lot and they have awesome products, so I know this is a bit of an aberration for them.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jim
It sounds like it is one of two things:

1. Your new wires and connectors are too long or are running past some high current devices. This causes video level distortions.

2. The settings on the camera have changed.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
It sounds like it is one of two things:

1. Your new wires and connectors are too long or are running past some high current devices. This causes video level distortions.

2. The settings on the camera have changed.

-Alex
Thanks for the help,

I tried it again, after adding tape to keep the connector in, and it worked a little better. Still a bit dark, but granted it was in the evening on an overcast day. I know the wires are the same length as they were when it was still working, so that can't be it. I also never touched the camera settings.

"...running past some high current devices,"- That could be it. The Stryker has little fuselage room, so the cable runs right next to the ESC and battery. Could that be the problem? Would spacing the wire out help?

Thanks,
Jim
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
monitor

Hello everyone. I need some help in finding a monitor to use at ground station. I have a 10" pyle i bought from RMRC several months back but it is so small and the picture is not clear at all to me. I have made sun shield but still have a hard time seeing.
I am looking for something in the 16" wide flat screen range that dosen't go blue screen, and can be powered with 12 volts. You can find lots of small tv,s that work with 12 volt but knowing if they blue screen is the biggest problem.
Googles are pretty much out for me since i wear glasses.
If anyone has a link to one i would appreciate the info.
Thanks
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Thanks for the help,

I tried it again, after adding tape to keep the connector in, and it worked a little better. Still a bit dark, but granted it was in the evening on an overcast day. I know the wires are the same length as they were when it was still working, so that can't be it. I also never touched the camera settings.

"...running past some high current devices,"- That could be it. The Stryker has little fuselage room, so the cable runs right next to the ESC and battery. Could that be the problem? Would spacing the wire out help?

Thanks,
Jim
I would use a coaxial cable grounded a one end to protect from high current devices. You can find it pretty cheap.

Of course, shielded wire (CAT6 cable) works well too. Just be sure to ground ONLY 1 end.

-Alex
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:59 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Hello everyone. I need some help in finding a monitor to use at ground station. I have a 10" pyle i bought from RMRC several months back but it is so small and the picture is not clear at all to me. I have made sun shield but still have a hard time seeing.
I am looking for something in the 16" wide flat screen range that dosen't go blue screen, and can be powered with 12 volts. You can find lots of small tv,s that work with 12 volt but knowing if they blue screen is the biggest problem.
Googles are pretty much out for me since i wear glasses.
If anyone has a link to one i would appreciate the info.
Thanks
Michael
How bad is your vision? Goggles seem to be ok for most people with glasses so long as their vision isn't too bad. 20:100 would still be safe for goggles.

-Alex
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
How bad is your vision? Goggles seem to be ok for most people with glasses so long as their vision isn't too bad. 20:100 would still be safe for goggles.

-Alex
not good at all, to many years under a welding hood!!
I think i will need a good clear screen to look at. The one i have is border line as long as i am in my basement, but outside is a different story.
Thanks
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Ever consider an 8X11 magnifying lens? They make them for reading documents and such and you can often find them with the spacers already installed for just a few $$.

-Alex
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
So after reading. Will a 1.2mhz Fpv work with 2.4 control if i put filter on it. Also, I cant seem to find what is better for each situation. Im in a pretty open area. Trees are about 250-350 yards away. I have a metal shed behind me. And have trees and a neighborhood about 100yards behind me. So does that mean that 1.2 or 900 is the best for me? Iv read 5.8 would work but will have about 1mile range. also whats a good starter OSD. are their any with voltage ,artificial horizon, alt, direction, and timer only. seems the more features, the more money. dont wanna drop $120 on a OSD as a beginner. maybe down the road. Can yall recommend a FPV system for me that is under $100 (Would pay $120). I want something that works but doesnt have to be that amazing of quality. Just want about a mile or 2 of range. that way as i get better i can fly farther.
Pyrofan is offline Find More Posts by Pyrofan
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
1.2Ghz video works fine with 2.4GHz control if you use a low pass filter on the VTX. You can make a notch filter like I have outlined in my blog as well. Mind you, 2.4GHz control will not reach 2 miles reliably. You need to get a UHF radio for that. You can get everything you need from ReadyMadeRC or HobbyWireless. All you need is a video transmitter, video receiver, and a camera. You can check my blog for all sorts of DIY antennas.

As for OSD, forget it for now and add later like you said. I personally like the Remzibi, but Skylark is also a good option if going for the cheap. There are other options as well.

-Alex
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
1.2Ghz video works fine with 2.4GHz control if you use a low pass filter on the VTX. You can make a notch filter like I have outlined in my blog as well. Mind you, 2.4GHz control will not reach 2 miles reliably. You need to get a UHF radio for that. You can get everything you need from ReadyMadeRC or HobbyWireless. All you need is a video transmitter, video receiver, and a camera. You can check my blog for all sorts of DIY antennas.

As for OSD, forget it for now and add later like you said. I personally like the Remzibi, but Skylark is also a good option if going for the cheap. There are other options as well.

-Alex
So, 1.2Ghz system with low pass filter and A Skew Planar Wheel Antenna on the TX and RX. is this good for a beginner. Can a 1.3ghz antenna work on a 1.2. what do you recommend for 1.2 system. the ones that i was looking at on hobbywireless said illegal in US. whats legal? i thought 1.2 and 1.3 where legal.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofan View Post
whats legal? i thought 1.2 and 1.3 where legal.
It's pretty simple: get a HAM radio license otherwise you are operating illegally.
Your related questions will guaranteed to be answered by the time you pass
the test.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
It's pretty simple: get a HAM radio license otherwise you are operating illegally.
Your related questions will guaranteed to be answered by the time you pass
the test.

-Blues
How do u get a HAM license
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
heres my cart right now. does it seem good.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...d1455a5a7b2c8e

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1017

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=503

and low pass filter
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=484
Last edited by Pyrofan; Oct 29, 2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add low pass filter