HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
Wow, lot of YVR / BC Coastal FPV'ers here right now.

Gentlemen, is it a reasonable goal, using an entry level 5.8ghz FPV equiped airplane (assuming optimal or near optimal antenna), and assuming TX range is sufficient, to seek FPV range from Point Grey directly across the water to West Vancouver?

Given the geographical and atmospheric conditions of the area, what are some known good base and maximum range destinations using entry level 5.8ghz FPV equipment?

I'll appreciate reference to any other forum / database touching upon this topic...

Thanks for your kind attention.
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Not sure about 5.8 but not huge range i recon, yea i didnt know there was many fpvers around here, thought i was alone lol most of the guys ive met at the field near me are not into it. Mind you i hate waiting in line to fly so im never there, but everywhere else lol.
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Last edited by elliott000; Oct 24, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:24 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,769 Posts
I get about 1.5km max over land with 200mW 5.8, running CP antennas. In fact I can't seem to get much more with my 7 turn helical, though I admit I have been too cautious to find out for sure - it always gets fuzzy at the 1km mark. You'll want to have a solid RTH setup for pushing out that far.

You CAN go far with 5.8, but you probably will fail if you are not experienced and don't go in baby steps. It really helps if you are adept at tuning your antennas to your frequency.

Will will easily go to Pt Grey from West van using most 1280 vTx, imho - easy.

hehe I am the lone FPV guy in my area. The field I fly most at has about 30 flyers, none do FPB, though it is growing on them as I let them try it. But just came back from the field now - did a nose-in crash upon launch with my rebuilt Skysurfer in front of a crowd of LOS flyers -- arghhh (loose elevator horn). Going back out now.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:44 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
That is doable with good video

Absolutely beautifull spectacular view from symour

Edit. Quote

From previous post from someone else

just the leg from Cates to Seymour will be nearly 10km.

I can see a lot of pitfalls flying over harsh territory.

I might do this flight this fall at Seymour park, though:

[/QUOTE]
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Last edited by David22; Oct 26, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:49 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
I fly and know this area well, point grey to west van is easy hehehe

Cross wind will be problem as well as real,planes durring day

Attenuation for video as well as UHF over water will be problem when flying low

Whistler bc is great spot to fly fpv

Old Olympic village has great spots

The area where it is now abandoned and in middle of nowhere
Down hill ski jump area is best as there is very large areas to fly fpv

Large paved parking lots to land with zero cars because Olympics is gone and over

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
I get about 1.5km max over land with 200mW 5.8, running CP antennas. In fact I can't seem to get much more with my 7 turn helical, though I admit I have been too cautious to find out for sure - it always gets fuzzy at the 1km mark. You'll want to have a solid RTH setup for pushing out that far.

You CAN go far with 5.8, but you probably will fail if you are not experienced and don't go in baby steps. It really helps if you are adept at tuning your antennas to your frequency.

Will will easily go to Pt Grey from West van using most 1280 vTx, imho - easy.

hehe I am the lone FPV guy in my area. The field I fly most at has about 30 flyers, none do FPB, though it is growing on them as I let them try it. But just came back from the field now - did a nose-in crash upon launch with my rebuilt Skysurfer in front of a crowd of LOS flyers -- arghhh (loose elevator horn). Going back out now.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
I am interested and new to fpv flying. I live in colorado, were there are thickly wooded hills all over the place. Could somebody recommend what kind of gear(transmitting/ recieving ) i should get? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
co348kadetdriver is offline Find More Posts by co348kadetdriver
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:34 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
^Any starter set will do just fine for you. Go to a reputable FPV retailer such as Ready Made RC, Hobby Wireless, Urban Drones, or Future Hobbies and get a 2.3GHz or 1.3GHz basic system. Nothing to it but wiring it up from there. Just choose your flavor.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
David, what menu are u in, google earth there for measure and altitude? I can only find ruler... Thanks
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:15 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by co348kadetdriver View Post
I am interested and new to fpv flying. I live in colorado, were there are thickly wooded hills all over the place. Could somebody recommend what kind of gear(transmitting/ recieving ) i should get? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Do you live in the Delta Co area? There are some pretty cool spots that I want to FPV around there. Just remember, baby steps when it comes to FPV. Make sure you have an adequate aircraft that your comfortable flying w/o FPV gear first.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:13 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
David, what menu are u in, google earth there for measure and altitude? I can only find ruler... Thanks
he reposted my images from Google maps without using quotes

I just click on the 'path' tool, drag it over the route I want and them click the measurements heading in the popup path menu. you can also click on the altitude heading if you wish, but getting altitude at a specific spot is a little bit of effort. Can change the path altitude to 'absolute' then drag to the slider until you see the 3D image of you path intersect the ground at the spot you wish to measure altitude for.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 25, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:16 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
Wow, lot of YVR / BC Coastal FPV'ers here right now.

Gentlemen, is it a reasonable goal, using an entry level 5.8ghz FPV equiped airplane (assuming optimal or near optimal antenna), and assuming TX range is sufficient, to seek FPV range from Point Grey directly across the water to West Vancouver?

Given the geographical and atmospheric conditions of the area, what are some known good base and maximum range destinations using entry level 5.8ghz FPV equipment?

I'll appreciate reference to any other forum / database touching upon this topic...

Thanks for your kind attention.
Watch the outflow (Squamish) winds west of the lighthouse. Nasty at particular times. Three big bodies of water meet there off of Lighthouse Park; when I had my sailboat that area could have some very unpleasant conditions that seem to come out of nowhere. Once again float plane and helicopter traffic should be a consideration.
Movie Guy is offline Find More Posts by Movie Guy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Hi guy's. So I've been doing some reading and am interested in using Cat6 or Cat7 shielded cable to reduce RF noise on my plane. The only problem is that I have never used such a cable before and am afraid that I might ruin my expensive equipment. I'm flying on 1.3ghz and my uhf is 433mhz. Where can I get some more information on this and some pictures to ensure I don't blotch up the wiring. I'm trying to be extra careful because I also have a dragon OSD and want to make sure I don't accidentally create a ground loop.
Can someone please direct me to some more information regarding this?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
The simple way to avoid a ground loop is to ground only ONE side of the shielding. This ensures that the sheild is not used as a conductor, but only as a shield.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
elliot000, BCSaltchucker, David22, Movie Guy, thank you gentlemen for your excellent advice.

The Point Grey to West Vancouver route is the one that has captured my imagination. I'll likely prepare a "flight plan" using the Google Earth method and print it on a t-shirt. Wearing that t-shirt is likely as close as I'll come to flying the route though, at least next Summer.

I'll be building my FPV airplane over the Winter, an Experimental Airlines Axon, and plan to teach myself FPV next Spring / Summer, starting with LOS flying over empty fields. Also, the Winter Olympic sites at Whistler sound fabulous -- that I might try next Summer if my skills / equipment are up to it.
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Last edited by syzygyQ; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:53 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
elliot000, BCSaltchucker, David22, Movie Guy, thank you gentlemen for your excellent advice.

The Point Grey to West Vancouver route is the one that has captured my imagination. I'll likely prepare a "flight plan" using the Google Earth method and print it on a t-shirt. Wearing that t-shirt is likely as close as I'll come to flying the route though, at least next Summer.

I'll be building my FPV airplane over the Winter, an Experimental Airlines Axon, and plan to teach myself FPV next Spring / Summer, starting with LOS flying over empty fields. Also, the Winter Olympic sites at Whistler sound fabulous -- that I might try next Summer if my skills / equipment are up to it.
For learning LOS, I just recommend flying on PC simulator and with a micro sized cub in a nearby park. I strongly suggest you NOT learn with the Axon. The SIM and micro teach you the controls and flying with reverse orientation, plus some understanding of flight. The micros are the most rugged plane because they have no mass and can crash unscathed, usually. Then try LOS with a pusher-prop park flier in a large field and keep it very high because it will seem real fast and you need time to react and space to land. Pusher prop because you will ruin props and motor shafts learning with tractor prop. Only takes about a couple weeks to get sufficiently skilled doing LOS with a park flier to be ready for FPV, imho. You need to smash up some RTF planes before risking your more fragile Axon. Be anal about the centre of gravity, though!

But I tellya go to FPV sooner than later. It is easier to fly than LOS, I swear. It is always a real thrill.

As for Pt grey to west Van - that is for advanced FPV guys, and there are many pitfalls, the most important being frequent low-flying seaplanes. and it is all over 5-10km of windy rough ocean. I get nervous enough flying over 100ft tall forests here - though we have no choice, it is all forested. FPV planes go down all the time on farmlands and deserts and they can be recovered. Here in BC, recovery effort is called a waste of time.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 25, 2012 at 01:32 PM.