HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Thanks for the info. How do you suppose the lines will disappear by flying lower? My goal is to reach the end of that lake, which is about 2.5 miles. I will fly lower, and will try the baby step technique like you mentioned.

I don't think using more than 300mw will be necessary to achieve 5 miles though, do you?
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:35 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Thanks for the info. How do you suppose the lines will disappear by flying lower? My goal is to reach the end of that lake, which is about 2.5 miles. I will fly lower, and will try the baby step technique like you mentioned.

I don't think using more than 300mw will be necessary to achieve 5 miles though, do you?
My question is, why is 5 miles a goal?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,455 Posts
You should get rid of those lines in video when flying lower as when you fly higher those,lines will,appear

Just like storm theory as previously mentioned

Just bad elevation in that area that gives lines you will see lower should be better, but experiment

I should post video of my flying Ezstar and showing area that is really but can fly around it no problem

But area is like 1/16 km away to my left, but to my right is ok

300 mw will be no problem going long range as you know. Baby step is really important especially with new planes and flight areas

Fpv takes you into whole new dimension

Servo power and high speed dives as example is one thing to be wary of

Speed waggle or flutter in dives etc

Don't go for it but rather do things slowly and get the hang of it

Go slow and learn slow

Once I lost very fast plane like 300 km an hour into,lake because of my lack of speed fpv experience

Learned that servos need special,set up,or proper set up for really really fast fpv planes

Even though I installed very powerfully servos, they lack power to,pull,out of 300 km dive

So go,slow even
With any fpv set up and flying area

Get feel for servos etc

Quote:

David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,252 Posts
Yesterday finally broke the 1km barrier... just 1.1km ... bue twice as much as last week .. i know it will be quite short for most people here but for us was quite exciting

This time i removed the PPM encoder do discard it as a RF noise source... so all controls were directly hooked intro the RX and the wire of the OSD control chanel was properly shielded... still no effect.. same glitches wich make OSD change screen and waypoints

I flew off the coast into the sea heading to a freighter... at this "short" distances i used visual guide and barelly looked at the OSD bearing indications.. sadly i screwed up the 1.1km video (im trying to get it back) but got the +900m intact.. there was a very light breeze from the north (right side in the video) barelly blowing.. when i reached the +900m and the later 1.100 i tuerned left to head straight back gliding (this plane could glide all the 1000m way back from 180 and 280m alt no problem at all) i noticed i was returning some more south than expecting.. that breeze somehow had drifted the plane 100-200m south in the return turn.. not a problem at all but quite curious..

At least we noticed that glitches seemed localized in certain areas... and there is nothing more to shield in the control chanel .. i think it might be just plain and simple RF noise in the area in the 35mhz... in that cape there is a lighthouse with some radars... could maritime radars cause noise in 35mhz?

I think i should do the jump to 2.4Ghz with a FrSky system with a booster.. one local friend does 12kms with that and +95% RSSI
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Thanks for the help. Five miles is my goal because that will be a comfortable range for me; more would be awesome, but I don't see any reason to attempt a 30 mile flight.

Also, this is not a new flight area; I've done probably twenty flights here, and yesterday was the furthest I've been at that location.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:00 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Podzimní let - 20.10.2012 16:36 (12 min 27 sec)
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:33 AM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've been doing more research on some of this antenna stuff, and I have a few questions.

First of all, I am beginning to wonder if I am wasting time with these linear antennas. Right now I have a stock antenna on my transmitter (which is obviously a piece of crap) and and optimized 8dbi patch antenna on my receiver. However, I found this information on Readymaderc's website:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1095

Regarding CP antennas it says that a skew planar on the transmitter and receiver offers 15km range in all directions! Wow! Its also says that a skew planar on the transmitter combined with an IBCrazy helical offers 80km range! Seriously!? Not to mention this is done while also rejecting multipathing.

I'm beginning to think that soon I should start investing in some CP stuff, because it seems like all the experts are using it. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:39 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've been doing more research on some of this antenna stuff, and I have a few questions.

First of all, I am beginning to wonder if I am wasting time with these linear antennas. Right now I have a stock antenna on my transmitter (which is obviously a piece of crap) and and optimized 8dbi patch antenna on my receiver. However, I found this information on Readymaderc's website:

Regarding CP antennas it says that a skew planar on the transmitter and receiver offers 15km range in all directions! Wow! Its also says that a skew planar on the transmitter combined with an IBCrazy helical offers 80km range! Seriously!? Not to mention this is done while also rejecting multipathing.

I'm beginning to think that soon I should start investing in some CP stuff, because it seems like all the experts are using it. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
15KM with a super high powered TX maybe, but more likely is around 2 miles with a 800mw TX and some decent altitude, atleast on 1.3ghz.

Still, CP is without a doubt the way to go, IMHO. CL on the TX, crosshair on the RX.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:11 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,229 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Jim
No way! I agree with Pete that 2 miles is more realistic for typical users and a typical 1.3 Tx.
I'm using 1280 and I've tried both CP and LP. I'm perfectly happy right now with LP using a inverted Vee and a 8db patch. It's good for 5 miles. If you are using 5.8, or like to perform extreme maneuvers CP is better, but otherwise LP works great for 1.3.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:32 AM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
148 Posts
I scored a Futaba 9C for my FPV Skywalker. Planning to continue on with 72mHz but wanted to add a pan servo, thus the 9C.

Reading the 9C manual I see that it will broadcast both PPM and PCM. I was wondering witch would be better for range or if there was other consderations with modulation choice?

Tonic
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
No way! I agree with Pete that 2 miles is more realistic for typical users and a typical 1.3 Tx.
I'm using 1280 and I've tried both CP and LP. I'm perfectly happy right now with LP using a inverted Vee and a 8db patch. It's good for 5 miles. If you are using 5.8, or like to perform extreme maneuvers CP is better, but otherwise LP works great for 1.3.
Your probably right, I found 15km to be a bit unrealistic, too. I still would like to eventually experiment with those CP antennas, though. How far, realistically, is a 9.5dbi helical and a skew planar on the tx going to go in comparison to an 8dbi patch with a stock tx antenna? Quite a bit further, I would think.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
1,920 Posts
Thought you guys might enjoy this local newspaper article: My mom (84yr old) called to tell me I was famous!!!
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/2...nclick_check=1
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
I fly within about 1km range, but have a lot of fun with it anyway.

Vzlet z polní cesty - 20.10.2012 15:36 (14 min 16 sec)
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
get the best out of the 1.2 SunSky vrx/tx !?

My 5.8 FoxTech w/ Skew Planar (4 lobes) on vrx & stock (plastic, articulated) on vtx has better penetration than my 1.2 SunSky w/ stock antennas (plastic, articulated) on both vrx/tx Flying stock 2.4 9x radio ... 12V from a 3s Lipo FPV cam is a GoPro What can I do to get the best out of the 1.2 SunSky vrx/tx !? Thanks
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
1,920 Posts
So I've just been told that I essentially can't fly at the local AMA field. The AMA rules state that you must have a buddy box with the LOS pilot as Primary. I think this also means I lose the ability to control the "failsafe" switch on the Naza.
No one else in the club knows how to fly a Qaud anyway.
I do have a DX8 and a DX6 which I setup as a buddy system to "train" my son but he is in college, not an AMA member, and not good enough to be primary anyway.
During our recent Airshow I did have a spotter, and maintained LOS per the rules, BUT I can think of no way to do the buddy box?
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Last edited by glmccready; Oct 22, 2012 at 03:36 PM.