HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:48 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Ok, I think I will go with the 3s 360mah to power the vtx. Does anyone just power everything from their one big batt for the whole plane and vtx?
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
FPV'r
ror1's Avatar
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Ok, I think I will go with the 3s 360mah to power the vtx. Does anyone just power everything from their one big batt for the whole plane and vtx?
see message 7305 !!
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:59 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Oops sorry. Can you feel it affect your flight times at all when running off of one batt?
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:44 PM
FPV'r
ror1's Avatar
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Oops sorry. Can you feel it affect your flight times at all when running off of one batt?
never really checked that close but vTx and camera,OSD do not use that much.
if you add another battery, your motor battery has to supply more power to carry the extra weight..
I have cables arranged in such away that I can add battery for just vTx,camera,OSD.
I do not monitor mah used in OSD setup...I just monitor voltage..
I have 3S 1000mah as separate battery if I go that way.I have done but usually not...
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:45 PM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
5,655 Posts
a typical video system only draws about 0.1amps off a 3S setup. An average plane cruises at 10 amps, which is 100 times as much draw as the video (and some peak at 50 amps, which is 500x). So you might lose 1% of your range due to piggybacking FPV to the main battery. The other concern is voltage sag caused by the flight system on the main batt - can drop the voltage low enough to hurt the functioning of the certain video system components, which is why some folks run a regulator or inverter.

Every FPVer should own a Watt meter, which will also tell you the amperage draw of your flight system, and your video system - can test them separately.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
I have a watt meter, so I will try experimenting. I'm also looking for a viewing device. Can I use my laptop, or will it do the blue screen of death? Or should I just go for this little one that doesn't have the blue screen? http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Digital-Pris...sion-/92872836
Dylan
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:10 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
Actually, the typical video system demand is ~600mA depending on what you are running. Low power VTX's use less. 500-800mW systems hit around 500mA. Once you get up into the big stuff (ie 1 watt) the amperage goes to about 1.2Amps or 1.6 Amps for a Lawmate. Typical cameras use ~50mA which is nothing. OSD is also a very low demand and hits about 70-200mA depending on the unit. You don't need a wattmeter for the video system. Any ammeter will do and then you multiply by the voltage to get Watts.

In any case the video power is negligible compared to a typical power demand of the aircraft power system unless you are R.Monteil and have a thermal glider.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:17 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
Close to cities or areas where real planes fly will give you different results.

I try to fly close to city but can only penetrate so far because of interference from city.

At other location in middle of no where water towers as example or some thing gives me absolutely no range at all in one direction

When you fly around and get the range younthinkmis largest possible try flying away from that interference. , then fly back,to,it, you will understand video interference better, as certain areas are unflyable

Don't expect very long range with 300 and 8 dbi patch, but once you experiment with area you fly and know poor video areas, upgrade to higher dbi video rx antenna like 13 dbi

The problem with this idea is you will eventually get bored with same flying site and go onto others, but understand that your range will be effected by out side environment.

So you can still fly in the area but rather fly in opposite direction as example

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Range Estimate?

Hi guys,

Up until now, I have been using 900mhz for my FPV Easystar. However, I am have now switched to 1.3Ghz in hopes of boosting my range since I live in an area with good cellphone reception. I made a new system and put it on a Stryker, and I have already flown it for its maiden. I've been out about two miles so far, but what kind of range should I get with:

-1.3Ghz 300mw tx w/ stock antenna
-1.3Ghz rx
-8dbi patch antenna

This is my flying environment:

Attachment 5243891

It's a bit congested, but that should not even affect the 1.3Ghz system, right? (I am already noticing way better video reception than I was on 900mhz.)

Also, I fly with a Dragonlink, but have not noticed any interference issues whatsoever (I have used a low-pass filter).

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
When video tx antenna is tuned or for best video tx output the amps go,down.

I run many times fox 1.2 800 mw and trap pies camera and only draw .35 amps.

1 watt lawmate only draw about .4 amps depending on antenna used and channel selected with trap pies camera

This low amp draw useing high video tx power units alows me to use regulators with 4 cell,lipos regulated with linear regulators

If you test amp draw on the typical fox 800 as example with no camera and proper video tx antenna it will be about .35 amp at most

Change video tx channel and see amp change, use lowest amp channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Actually, the typical video system demand is ~600mA depending on what you are running. Low power VTX's use less. 500-800mW systems hit around 500mA. Once you get up into the big stuff (ie 1 watt) the amperage goes to about 1.2Amps or 1.6 Amps for a Lawmate. Typical cameras use ~50mA which is nothing. OSD is also a very low demand and hits about 70-200mA depending on the unit. You don't need a wattmeter for the video system. Any ammeter will do and then you multiply by the voltage to get Watts.

In any case the video power is negligible compared to a typical power demand of the aircraft power system unless you are R.Monteil and have a thermal glider.

-Alex
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:23 PM
FPV in Hawaii
iskess's Avatar
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,304 Posts
I stand corrected. Lawmate 1W spec sheet says 460mA
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Last edited by iskess; Oct 21, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:43 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
479 Posts
my Racewood 500mw Vtx draws 400mA with stock antenna, (got quite hot too) and when I changed to a homemade Cloverleaf, (nowhere near perfect) it now draws 200mA, and runs lots cooler, so a huge difference just by changing to a half decent antenna.
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:55 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
for sure thanks for being more specific or explaining things clearer than i could or try

this is why experimenting is so important as your amp draw test concludes
as mine

theory is one thing but actual testing is another


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
my Racewood 500mw Vtx draws 400mA with stock antenna, (got quite hot too) and when I changed to a homemade Cloverleaf, (nowhere near perfect) it now draws 200mA, and runs lots cooler, so a huge difference just by changing to a half decent antenna.
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
this is why it is so hard for me to explain how to set up planes properly with high video tx as so many disagree, there are many factors on how to set up fpv plane properly with high powered video tx antenna as example.

ways you lay out wires and coax, positioning of carbon rods for the plane with relation to wires and coax

correct camera, right servos, braided servo wires and braided esc wires, just to name a few

your ground station is just as important to concentrate and experiment with as we similarliy discuss the fpv plane, dont ever forget that ground station is just as important to set up properly as the fpv plane

ground tests are very very very important

as is the conclusion of the amp test with high powered video txs as example

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I find it hard to believe that a 1000mW Lawmate only draws 400mA.
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:51 PM
Registered User
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Close to cities or areas where real planes fly will give you different results.

I try to fly close to city but can only penetrate so far because of interference from city.

At other location in middle of no where water towers as example or some thing gives me absolutely no range at all in one direction

When you fly around and get the range younthinkmis largest possible try flying away from that interference. , then fly back,to,it, you will understand video interference better, as certain areas are unflyable

Don't expect very long range with 300 and 8 dbi patch, but once you experiment with area you fly and know poor video areas, upgrade to higher dbi video rx antenna like 13 dbi

The problem with this idea is you will eventually get bored with same flying site and go onto others, but understand that your range will be effected by out side environment.

So you can still fly in the area but rather fly in opposite direction as example
In time I will upgrade to a 13dbi yagi for sure. I just want to know what the 8dbi patch can do. I am expecting more like 4-5 miles, though that may be a little ambitious. I thought that 1.3Ghz generally has a low noise floor, even in crowded areas.

Here's a flight I had this morning. Tell me what you think:

FPV Stryker: Beautiful Flight over the Clouds (3 min 5 sec)


I eventually want to attempt a three-mile flight in that location, while using the 300mw transmitter and the 8dbi patch antenna (that's about to the end of that lake in the front). What do you guys think? Is it possible?

Thanks,
Jim
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
cool video watch out for clouds they can roll in or form faster than you think

fun part about this hobby for me anyway is experimenting

so looks like you will soon beable to tell us how far your set up will get you

fly into the wind so if video craps out you will still get back home

fly higher out, higher than you think, and if power for fpv ie volts look good drop lower in elevation and return home etc.

soon you will be confident to fly low and far away as you will know your flying area well and its effect on rc and video

eventually you will or might find flying out low and far and returning back low from far is fun

its really cool to have great video, just as good at 15 km away as 2 km away at low altitudes

but do imho some experimenting with that area, take your time and fly in baby stepps and enjoy that areas as example, just dont go for it but rather fly around and enjoy

its also fun to know bad video area and fly though them to get further and see clear video as you pass that poor video area

its like passing through a storm to get further away to new pastures of clear video, returning home or getting out there is kind of fun as you know your video in that place is "going to do that" as most newbies would turn around and say that is my video limit

with experience you can fly in video static and get out of it or fly though it, its a little more complicated but aiming video rx antenna like 13 dbi really helps

those line you see will most likely not be there if you fly lower



Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
In time I will upgrade to a 13dbi yagi for sure. I just want to know what the 8dbi patch can do. I am expecting more like 4-5 miles, though that may be a little ambitious. I thought that 1.3Ghz generally has a low noise floor, even in crowded areas.

Here's a flight I had this morning. Tell me what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my_5LUZ0TTc

I eventually want to attempt a three-mile flight in that location, while using the 300mw transmitter and the 8dbi patch antenna (that's about to the end of that lake in the front). What do you guys think? Is it possible?

Thanks,
Jim
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Talk 11 Dec 30, 2011 07:22 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 06:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 08:56 PM
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 8 Sep 12, 2010 07:12 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 2 May 11, 2009 07:41 PM