HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
824 Posts
Alex ur a genious when it comes to wiring and stuff? I have a problem and i aint getting any help from eagle tree! Basically i have a lawmate 1.2ghz vrx and vtx. sound was fine till i connected to eagle tree. i hear the voice annoucement but cant hear the mic. the mic is built in to cam. i have wired the mic to osd pro,the one wire from the mic goes to audio in signal and the audio out goes back to the Vtx. Does the wire goin into the audio in need earth and 12v? or is it ok with just the signal? thanks for any help!!!
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
Having fun again!!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Hi MTHead4u,

If you don't plan to fly beyond 1/5 mile then the SPW should do fine with your amount of vtx power.
Your listed directional antennas have about equal gain so I don't know if there's any noticeable difference at all. Regarding a patch, be sure that it is also CP instead of linear polarized.

But why don't start with the CL/SPW combo, it should give crystal clear reception over the entire 1/2 mile.

Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
+1
I have the same Vtx but just the single receiver with CL/SPW antenna and I easily have 1/2 mile range. Your video range will be limited by your control range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Two 3 turn helicals for your diversity aimed ~90 degrees apart is more than what you need for 1/2 mile. I wouldn't look into higher gain unless you plan on distances exceeding 1.5 miles. In fact, a simple skew wheel or Fan antenna would be plenty for what iy intend to do. You don't need a diversity receiver for this.
Thanks for the info Guys!! I'll go ahead and pick up the SPW for the Vrx and just run the standard whip on the other input (not sure if you can leave it open?).

I hope to grow over time and be able to use the DUO as my distance increases. I understand I will be limited to my Radio Tx/Rx, especially on 2.4g (9X running er9x with FrSky DJT module and D8R-XP Receiver. (1.5km) but at least I have a start..
MTHead4u is offline Find More Posts by MTHead4u
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: er9x and Naza Setup
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,853 Posts
.030 copper plated welding wire large enough in diameter for antennas?
http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com/...ire&facetInfo=
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
757 Posts
Depends on the type of antenna and what Frequency
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:55 PM
Philippines, CALABARZON, Cavite City
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Does anyone here knows whats the farthest distance an A9 2.4 can do? or has a personal experience to the longest distance it can do. Thanks
rizalbautista is offline Find More Posts by rizalbautista
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:13 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
I've just written my first FPV article on my blog. I'm going to try and keep updating it all the time, adding more tips and information. Let me know what you think so far.

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr/2012/10/fpv-basics.html
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:08 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,954 Posts
Read part of your intro lovegroove and looks great so far.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
548 Posts
Range Estimate?

Hi guys,

Up until now, I have been using 900mhz for my FPV Easystar. However, I am have now switched to 1.3Ghz in hopes of boosting my range since I live in an area with good cellphone reception. I made a new system and put it on a Stryker, and I have already flown it for its maiden. I've been out about two miles so far, but what kind of range should I get with:

-1.3Ghz 300mw tx w/ stock antenna
-1.3Ghz rx
-8dbi patch antenna

This is my flying environment:

Name: Flight Pic 1-2.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 52.3 KB
Description:

It's a bit congested, but that should not even affect the 1.3Ghz system, right? (I am already noticing way better video reception than I was on 900mhz.)

Also, I fly with a Dragonlink, but have not noticed any interference issues whatsoever (I have used a low-pass filter).

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,072 Posts
Best advice i coold give anyone is to get your ham licence and say thank you to those who help you.

Hams even if they do not fly rc or fpv are a world of info. They see you try and will go out of their way to help further as you joined their club persay.

Hams with fpv experience will respect you for trying and being serious about the ham world. These hams are most important for info as they have subjective and objective info. person testing etc. Become thier friends and respect them and they will answer your questions better than just some opinion. I see lots recently in other threads and via pm experienced guys giveing up on these lilypads guys because they have no idea how to say "thank you".

you become not just a person who asked questions and trys to find answers, but rather a respected person in this hobby.

People that are oinkers s and just ask questions without saying thank you will will never get anywhere.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Last edited by David22; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:46 AM
"ya can't get hurt in the air"
United States, NY, Cazenovia
Joined Oct 2009
191 Posts
Amen to that.....KP
King Pin is online now Find More Posts by King Pin
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:17 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Range Estimate?

Hi guys,

Up until now, I have been using 900mhz for my FPV Easystar. However, I am have now switched to 1.3Ghz in hopes of boosting my range since I live in an area with good cellphone reception. I made a new system and put it on a Stryker, and I have already flown it for its maiden. I've been out about two miles so far, but what kind of range should I get with:

-1.3Ghz 300mw tx w/ stock antenna
-1.3Ghz rx
-8dbi patch antenna

This is my flying environment:

Attachment 5243891

It's a bit congested, but that should not even affect the 1.3Ghz system, right? (I am already noticing way better video reception than I was on 900mhz.)

Also, I fly with a Dragonlink, but have not noticed any interference issues whatsoever (I have used a low-pass filter).

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
My wild ass guess is 2.5 to 3 miles.
Let me know what it turns out to be.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:45 AM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,230 Posts
Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but I just got some new FPV gear, and I'm wondering what size batt I should go with on the tx? I have a bunch of 3s lipos, from 360mah all the way up to 2200mah and lots in-between. I want to keep it as light as possible, and I will only be having around 10 min of flight time. Any suggestions?
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but I just got some new FPV gear, and I'm wondering what size batt I should go with on the tx? I have a bunch of 3s lipos, from 360mah all the way up to 2200mah and lots in-between. I want to keep it as light as possible, and I will only be having around 10 min of flight time. Any suggestions?
I assume your talking about your video tx? I use a 460mah with a 600mw tx, and I'm usually getting at least 2 25 minute flights, so I bet your 360mah would work for you.

Or you could buy a small battery meter off of ebay for $5 and do some bench testing just to verify. Just make sure you have some air flow going over your video tx to keep it cool.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:43 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,954 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I also used to use a 360 3s with a 5v bec to power my 5v 500mw lawmate vtx (as well as the 12v camera). Worked great and was pleasantly surprised by the life. Iirc I safely got about 2 or 3 flights at 10 minutes each off of 1 charge. Keep in mind most vtx will continually lose range as the voltage drops, so do your worst on a fresh lipo.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
I use one battery for all, that way any device that needs power has it available.it is more efficient to do it that way.
otherwise you are carrying the weight of unused mah during your whole flight.
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1