HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Well I thought I'd ask you guys as I asked a couple of times elsewhere and got no definative reply.
Basicaly I'm looking to replace my lost tricopter. I want something smooth and reliable to carry a gopro1 for scenic shots, probably max 2km away. Less hassle the better. I was useing LM 2.4 500mw, which worked well, and futaba FF8/corona synth 72mhz, full length antenna OK. It rolled unexpectedly at close range, I think it was a corona glitch. Never tried the tri with a proper matching PCM1024 rx.
Anyway, the cheapest option is to try a PCM1024 rx. Or, buy a RL UHF system. Or frsky, and a new FPV system. I thik these last 2 will work out almost the same price, although replacements for former will be more expensive.
Am I correct in assuming the RL is the best way to go despite the cost and limited range I seek because its the most stable?
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:56 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,548 Posts
Yes pictures say a 1000 words and video with music says a zillion words

I fly lots of different planes and each plane is new experimant basically.

If you click on to my blog there is link to about 1/2 of videos that are not private. Private ones are private for personal reasons.

However I did recently post videos to show things I been experimenting with such as 6mm lense for camera, 2.4 for clearer crisper color and video over 1.2, etc. but recent plane is a 60 inch wing from true rc from east Canada.

will go to store and return sd card reader that does fit and post pictures on show us your plane with videos of it flying

I just made up a rc car as well with lawmate 1 watt for video and seems to go far in city blocks

my goals and experiments in the last year or so however have been to get best video possable as rc control is no problem

btw fox 1.5 1.2 video txs are not all created equal, some are more powerfull than others

i think lawmate are accurate in production and out put

http://vimeo.com/user500576/videos/sort:newest

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
I agree, a list is important. But SHOWING how that list is implemented into a working, functioning and RELIABLE FPV machine is what is key. There were 3 things that were important to me in getting started in FPV. 1) Air frame selection. 2) Component selection. and 3) How to integrate both air frame and components together. If it weren't for the expertise that I found on RCG I would probably still be struggling with my research (which in itself took nearly a year.) And an important aspect of this learning process was the visual aspect. I speak for myself, but it was extremely important to see how components were distributed and wired, especially in the air frame that I chose. So, however trivial it may seem to some, even the most simplistic visual aid can sometime replace a thousand words.

Anyways, on a side note. I had a successful maiden flight with full Eagle Tree with stabilization today. Good times!
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:49 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Noob alert: I just flew a Fat Shark 250mW Predator combo today with a friend on the goggles. The reception was less than thrilling; it was broken up most of the flight. I'm going to trouble shoot through the channels first but wonder if I should also save myself the trouble and get IB's antennae combo on Ready Made? I've been studying up on the threads but oh man do I need a mentor in this.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Noob alert: I just flew a Fat Shark 250mW Predator combo today with a friend on the goggles. The reception was less than thrilling; it was broken up most of the flight. I'm going to trouble shoot through the channels first but wonder if I should also save myself the trouble and get IB's antennae combo on Ready Made? I've been studying up on the threads but oh man do I need a mentor in this.
I'm assuming you are using 5.8Ghz?

Was the video interference predominantly when you were rolling, banking or turning? This is almost certainly a polarization issue. The IB cloverleaf/skewplanar wheel antennas will definitely help. You should probably get a pair anyway...they are great.

If the interference was constant, it's probably your VTx or camera. Try adding a ferrite ring to your VTx and/or camera cables. Sometimes the VTx or the camera is particularly noisey. The ferrite rings act as passive filters and remove high-frequency noise before it is passed onto another device.

If the interference changed depending on throttle, it's the ESC/battery. If you are driving your VTx/camera from the same battery as your motor, the ESC can cause a lot of interference. Try putting a ferrite ring on the ESC => radio receiver servo cable. That usually gets rid of the interference, but if it doesn't, you'll need to build an LC filter.
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Last edited by polyfractal; Oct 16, 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Correcting a few technical details
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:27 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,306 Posts
Anyone is using a PPM encoder?

Im using one from FPV Japan and im getting some trouble in the control chanel of the OSD.. now im shielding wires but so far i have properly shielded the wire from PPM encoder to OSD and no effect whatsoever..

I will shorten the wires going from the RX to PPM encoder (they are twisted and 15-20cm long..i will cut down them down to 3cm) .... but im anoyed at what causes the OSD to get "unwated" commnands while other chanels dont seem to be affected
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
best spot in the us to get Male to male servo wires?

Need some for my tricopter
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal View Post
I'm assuming you are using 5.8Ghz?

Was the video interference predominantly when you were rolling, banking or turning? This is almost certainly a polarization issue. The IB cloverleaf/skewplanar wheel antennas will definitely help. You should probably get a pair anyway...they are great.

If the interference was constant, it's probably your VTx or camera. Try adding a ferrite ring to your VTx and/or camera cables. Sometimes the VTx or the camera is particularly noisey. The ferrite rings act as passive filters and remove high-frequency noise before it is passed onto another device.

If the interference changed depending on throttle, it's the ESC/battery. If you are driving your VTx/camera from the same battery as your motor, the ESC can cause a lot of interference. Try putting a ferrite ring on the ESC => radio receiver servo cable. That usually gets rid of the interference, but if it doesn't, you'll need to build an LC filter.
It is the 5.8Ghz system on channel 1 (5740). From what I could gather from live feedback, the interference was occurring mostly during banking and turning and cleared up slightly during level flight (small field surrounded by trees). I feel I might also be blanking out the antenna as it sits above the motor and ecs. It's a small airframe and hard to get the tx and antenna outboard without messing up lateral cg and aerodynamics. That's where I think one of the clover antennas with flex cable might let me move it away from objects that block the signal (just not sure what items to buy yet since the combo set has rigid coax). I'll also see if I have a ferrite ring for the esc as well. I'm going to try again tomorrow. Thanks very much for the feedback!
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:51 PM
Having fun again!!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Noob FPV'er here..

Needing a little help selecting a Vrx antenna setup for a quadcopter. Mostly straight and level in an open valley towards the mountains. Distance is less them 1/2 mile and I don't plan on flying that far for quite awhile.

This will be my main view, based at the parking area.

As of now I have the following,
Vtx: 5.8g IRC5.8-600MW
Vtx Antenna: 5.8 GHz Cloverleaf Whip Antenna (RHCP) (Single, Right Angle)
Vrx: Duo5800 Receiver.

I was planning on a
5.8 GHz Skew Planar Wheel Whip Antenna (RHCP) (Single, Straight) mounted on a 5' tripod for one input on the Duo Vrx to cover me for flying around base, but what would be best for the other?

5.8 GHz 10dBic Crosshair Antenna?
or
5.8 GHZ 5 Turn Helical (9.5 dBic)?
or
5.8 GHz 11 dBi Flat Patch Antenna?

The crosshair has the widest beam, followed closely by the Helical, then the patch, of course all you guys now this already.

Probably need to go back and watch the videos again huh? lol but i'm open to any pointer.
MTHead4u is offline Find More Posts by MTHead4u
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: er9x and Naza Setup
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:58 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
752 Posts
Hi MTHead4u,

If you don't plan to fly beyond 1/5 mile then the SPW should do fine with your amount of vtx power.
Your listed directional antennas have about equal gain so I don't know if there's any noticeable difference at all. Regarding a patch, be sure that it is also CP instead of linear polarized.

But why don't start with the CL/SPW combo, it should give crystal clear reception over the entire 1/2 mile.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:22 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I sure hope someone has an answer on how to prevent this...
RC Glider Attack By Crow Crashed 2 (1 min 38 sec)
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:34 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Hi MTHead4u,

But why don't start with the CL/SPW combo, it should give crystal clear reception over the entire 1/2 mile.

Martin
+1
I have the same Vtx but just the single receiver with CL/SPW antenna and I easily have 1/2 mile range. Your video range will be limited by your control range.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:36 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Howly smokes! I never saw something like this before. You must have p***ed of those birds big time! Wow...

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:05 AM
I can fly this plane
Kingdom of Sweden, Gävleborg County, Sandviken
Joined Jan 2012
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Maybe by not flying over the nest
PinDuke is offline Find More Posts by PinDuke
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:34 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Yeah there are a few others you can check out on youtube and those suckers are mean. Markus, that's not my video, I just saw that myself. I guess a faster motor will do for the birsds. LOL. Now I got another cool video here and now I need to find me a good all around all terrain vehicle for fpv. I also still have to read all about the antennas and stuff, but have been too busy trying to fly the helis first. I thought you guys will enjoy it since it's fpv, but on land. I need to try this now. The man has skills! There are 3 videos, check out all three, good story. I also found out he's a member of rcgroups too. So if you got questions, just look for him here.
Geek Gets Girl part 1 "Tonka Summit too" (5 min 58 sec)
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Oct 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead4u View Post
As of now I have the following,
Vtx: 5.8g IRC5.8-600MW
Vtx Antenna: 5.8 GHz Cloverleaf Whip Antenna (RHCP) (Single, Right Angle)
Vrx: Duo5800 Receiver.

I was planning on a
5.8 GHz Skew Planar Wheel Whip Antenna (RHCP) (Single, Straight) mounted on a 5' tripod for one input on the Duo Vrx to cover me for flying around base, but what would be best for the other?

5.8 GHz 10dBic Crosshair Antenna?
or
5.8 GHZ 5 Turn Helical (9.5 dBic)?
or
5.8 GHz 11 dBi Flat Patch Antenna?

The crosshair has the widest beam, followed closely by the Helical, then the patch, of course all you guys now this already.

Probably need to go back and watch the videos again huh? lol but i'm open to any pointer.
Two 3 turn helicals for your diversity aimed ~90 degrees apart is more than what you need for 1/2 mile. I wouldn't look into higher gain unless you plan on distances exceeding 1.5 miles. In fact, a simple skew wheel or Fan antenna would be plenty for what iy intend to do. You don't need a diversity receiver for this.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member