SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
147 Posts
Looking for a low cost way to capture video for my ground station. The FPV-Japan option is a little rich for my blood. I know some use video cameras, are they a good option and if so what camera model are you using?

Thanks,

Tonic
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
any video camcorder will do
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,480 Posts
Tonicman: I use an old Sony TRV330, digital 8, I already had. It has a "VCR" and 3.5mm inputs. It's fun when you recycle old tech. My newer CX-500 digital doesn't have the analog inputs. (but is high def)
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
459 Posts
David22....Please....I'm begging you. Think before you post. Does what I'm about to post belong in this forum? Is it going to be helpful and contribute to this forum? Am I posting for selfish reasons? I've been lurking quietly in this forum for sometime now. I've got nothing from your posts except your boasting about what you can do. You have yet to post any kind of pictures of your builds. It doesn't help us new guys if we can't see what your talking about. And honestly, I have a hard time sifting through your long-winded posts for useful information. And yes....we get it. You CAN use high powered TX in close proximity to other components. Enough of that. The thing is, those of us who are new DON'T want to use high powered equipment, there is no need. So please, help us out and post some pics/diagrams/scribbles/anything to show what your talking about.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
any video camcorder will do
I got a really nice consumer highend Sony with no video inputs.

Tonic
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
Last edited by TonicMan; Oct 14, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
david22....please....i'm begging you. Think before you post. Does what i'm about to post belong in this forum? Is it going to be helpful and contribute to this forum? Am i posting for selfish reasons? I've been lurking quietly in this forum for sometime now. I've got nothing from your posts except your boasting about what you can do. You have yet to post any kind of pictures of your builds. It doesn't help us new guys if we can't see what your talking about. And honestly, i have a hard time sifting through your long-winded posts for useful information. And yes....we get it. You can use high powered tx in close proximity to other components. Enough of that. The thing is, those of us who are new don't want to use high powered equipment, there is no need. So please, help us out and post some pics/diagrams/scribbles/anything to show what your talking about.
++1
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,827 Posts
Instead people should post list of components that don't work we'll for fpv and also list of components that do work well for fpv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
David22....Please....I'm begging you. Think before you post. Does what I'm about to post belong in this forum? Is it going to be helpful and contribute to this forum? Am I posting for selfish reasons? I've been lurking quietly in this forum for sometime now. I've got nothing from your posts except your boasting about what you can do. You have yet to post any kind of pictures of your builds. It doesn't help us new guys if we can't see what your talking about. And honestly, I have a hard time sifting through your long-winded posts for useful information. And yes....we get it. You CAN use high powered TX in close proximity to other components. Enough of that. The thing is, those of us who are new DON'T want to use high powered equipment, there is no need. So please, help us out and post some pics/diagrams/scribbles/anything to show what your talking about.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,124 Posts
Can we SEE what your flying?
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
Yeah David22, can we see your planes?
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
getting close to first FPV flight

I've been flying my easystar with FPV gear on and recording onto laptop with easy cap video capture. I need to get goggles or larger screen for FPV flight. I have the RMRC 1.2ghz starter package. I hope the video quality is better on goggles or watching on larger screen, because my recordings from the easycap onto a laptop are not real good and it's not from interference. Any in put as to where I go from here? Goggles or screen? Different recording device? How do you record and use goggles or screen at the same time? I've gotten this far with the help on this forum. Can't wait for that first FPV flight. I have an EZ OSD, but haven't even installed it yet. I will be asking for help with that later.
ckman is offline Find More Posts by ckman
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
I'm building a plane now, so pictures would be nice, you know, help us noobs out. I can't quit get the picture in my head from all the talk, pictures sure would be nice, even maybe a couple of videos of how well everything is working.
Hey Bill, I'm certainly not a pro or anything (brand new to RC and FPV!) but I've been documented my Sky Surfer build on my rcgroups blog, in case you want to see some pictures of how another newbie is putting their plane together

And already have a set of crash photos up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckman View Post
I've been flying my easystar with FPV gear on and recording onto laptop with easy cap video capture. I need to get goggles or larger screen for FPV flight. I have the RMRC 1.2ghz starter package. I hope the video quality is better on goggles or watching on larger screen, because my recordings from the easycap onto a laptop are not real good and it's not from interference. Any in put as to where I go from here? Goggles or screen? Different recording device? How do you record and use goggles or screen at the same time? I've gotten this far with the help on this forum. Can't wait for that first FPV flight. I have an EZ OSD, but haven't even installed it yet. I will be asking for help with that later.
I have the Fatshark Predator goggles. I'm not sure about other goggles, but on the Predators there is an output jack which you can use to record/view on a screen while still using your goggles. It's a 2.5mm headphone jack, and the goggles come with a 2.5mm to component adapter, so you basically get component RCA video/audio out. It looks like the attached cable.

You can use that video output to record on whatever (camcorder, easycap, computer, etc)

I've never flown with a screen, but I really like flying with the goggles. The video quality is excellent and definitely limited by the camera quality, not the screen. It takes a little while to get used to the field of view (everything is black outside the FOV) and can be a little disorienting when you first get started.

But it is very immersive and a lot of fun to fly.
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Last edited by polyfractal; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Thank you Polyfractal, maybe Santa will get me the goggles. I have a 480 line camera from Ready Made RC, I sure hope my recoding quality can be improved by using a digital camcorder or something besides the easy cap. My mini keychain spycam does better at this point.
ckman is offline Find More Posts by ckman
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,352 Posts
Is it worth to shield short wires?

by short i mean arround 3cms..

After proper shielding the PPM wire from the PPM encoder to the OSD , im still having problems with interference in the OSD control chanel (provocating switching of screens and unwanted changes between flight modes)..

Left is the 3 wires that go from the RX to the PPM encoder (to carry 7 channels) wich now are arround 15cms long and twisted..

to eliminate chance of RF noise coming throught there i wanted to shorten them down to just 3cms as the PPM encoder is right next to the Rx..
but i wonder if its worth to shield just 3cms as it would have 1-2cms of unshielded part for each side

This was the farthest i dared to go for now

FPV Escuela con Ikarus OSD. Pruebas 3 (14 min 12 sec)
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Instead people should post list of components that don't work we'll for fpv and also list of components that do work well for fpv.
I agree, a list is important. But SHOWING how that list is implemented into a working, functioning and RELIABLE FPV machine is what is key. There were 3 things that were important to me in getting started in FPV. 1) Air frame selection. 2) Component selection. and 3) How to integrate both air frame and components together. If it weren't for the expertise that I found on RCG I would probably still be struggling with my research (which in itself took nearly a year.) And an important aspect of this learning process was the visual aspect. I speak for myself, but it was extremely important to see how components were distributed and wired, especially in the air frame that I chose. So, however trivial it may seem to some, even the most simplistic visual aid can sometime replace a thousand words.

Anyways, on a side note. I had a successful maiden flight with full Eagle Tree with stabilization today. Good times!
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
597 Posts
recent flights with my skywalker sirius fpv...

I enjoy FPV with this airplane. Tried to record flight of Fun Cub RC airplane.

trailer:
Chasing Fun Cub - Trailer (0 min 45 sec)

video:
Chasing Fun Cub (4 min 54 sec)

Equipment used:
Skywalker Sirius FPV airplane.

FatShark Predator 5.8 GHz.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...672&aff=388598

VTX ImmersionRC 600 mW 5.8 GHz.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...507&aff=388598

Sony Super HAD CCD 600TVL, Lens 2.8 mm.

Super Simple Mini OSD.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...369&aff=388598

Clover Leaf & SkewPlannar 5.8 GHz Antennas.

Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2), ER9x Firmware.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...992&aff=388598

Pan & Tilt.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...875&aff=388598
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn