HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:56 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
Hi everyone
I ve been trying to setup and fly FPV for the last 9 months with not too much success so far. Good thing is that at last I have managed to get a perfect video link thanks to cp antennas (made following ibcrazy blog).

Trouble is that I get lost when I try to fly by monitor. I have studied the field I m flying (google-earth) and have flown several times LOS recording the flight just to study the path of a very basic 200m circle, yet first attempts were a failure.
All the time I have been using this camera:
600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD Color Board Camera 4mm Lens OSD D-WDR
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...d%252dWDR.html
And here comes the question:
Is a 4mm lens too "narrow" for FPV beginners? I like that the image has no "fish eye" effect, and I know that it is more difficult than say a 2.8mm lens.
My next steps will be lowering the camera so that it faces more towards the ground, and employing flaps to slow down the plane (Mpx FunCub). Is it do-able to learn with this camera (even at a slower pace) or should I just save it for later and buy a 2.8mm(maybe 3.6mm?) lens one?

PS: sorry for not attaching any video, but I just found that my 4min LOS flights recorded by easycap+VeeDub are 5Gb big thus hard to copy/upload
Lenses are dirt cheap. Securitycamera 2000 sells them 2 for $5. Buy several and try them. I like 3.6, but I would use 2.8 if I had no camera pan. 4 is too narrow in my opinion.
I switch mine out depending on mission.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:39 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone
I ve been trying to setup and fly FPV for the last 9 months with not too much success so far. Good thing is that at last I have managed to get a perfect video link thanks to cp antennas (made following ibcrazy blog).

Trouble is that I get lost when I try to fly by monitor. I have studied the field I m flying (google-earth) and have flown several times LOS recording the flight just to study the path of a very basic 200m circle, yet first attempts were a failure.
All the time I have been using this camera:
600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD Color Board Camera 4mm Lens OSD D-WDR
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...d%252dWDR.html
And here comes the question:
Is a 4mm lens too "narrow" for FPV beginners? I like that the image has no "fish eye" effect, and I know that it is more difficult than say a 2.8mm lens.
My next steps will be lowering the camera so that it faces more towards the ground, and employing flaps to slow down the plane (Mpx FunCub). Is it do-able to learn with this camera (even at a slower pace) or should I just save it for later and buy a 2.8mm(maybe 3.6mm?) lens one?

PS: sorry for not attaching any video, but I just found that my 4min LOS flights recorded by easycap+VeeDub are 5Gb big thus hard to copy/upload
------------------------------
I'm a beginner like you, and also had a hard time navigating via a laptop. I think it can help to point the fpv-camera a bit more down, that way even with a narrow view, you get more land and less sky in there, and it will be easier to navigate.

The files from easycap get superbig, 1giga/minute, but if you put these files into moviemaker and edit, they are suddenly going from 1 giga to maybe 20mb or something like that. Good idea if you want to keep the files :-).
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:47 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
I agree with the whole "point the camera down" perspective. You probably want about 2/3 land and 1/3 sky in your FOV. Maybe even 1/2 and 1/2 but that's as much as I'd want to go.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
So I got to try FPV for the first time today. I went out early this morning and set everything up and did a test flight. The video looked good so I let a friend launch me while I looked at my LCD screen. As I got into the air I realized that the ground was completely black. I couldn't see the ground at all and it was very unnerving. I looked up and found the plane so I could land. After landing I waited about a half hour until the sun was over the hill. I threw it up again but this time the video flickered violently whenever I added throttle. I landed, changed the battery(even thought it was still almost full) and tried again. I was OK, so I threw it up again. I flew out about 400ft away and about 300 ft up. Then suddenly I started to get static and it blue screened. I managed to look up and find it, landing it safely. I re-positioned the transmitter about 7 inches away from the receiver and tried again. It flew up but my camera went black. The EZOSD was still there but the screen was black. I decided it was time to stop so I brought it down and messed with it. The camera is connected but it is not showing up, just the OSD.
My setup:

2.3ghz 700mw tx from videoaerialsystems
Bluebeam cloverleaf
TBS EZOSD
Bixler V1
2200mah 3 cell

Ground station:
Hobby Wireless 7" lcd screen
72mhz JR XP6102 for the plane
reciever and skew planar bluebeam from videoaerialsystems

I'm really amazed I didn't crash it. Does anyone have a good way to mount the camera on the bixler without a pan/tilt?
Any ideas on what causes all the problems?
Thanks guys!
Ben
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:51 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Chop the nose off about three inches back and put the camera inside the nose. That's what I did, works great.

I have a problem as well, I have the CEOSD and I can't seem to ever get GPS lock in the field. I've gotten it a few times inside my house but it usually doesn't ever lock! I have it inside the nose of my airplane directly behind the camera (which is also in the nose). I also have a 900mhz 1.5W TX on the wing tip.

Also what would be the best match to the IBCrazy vee as a ground antenna? Just the ground plane antenna? Thanks in advance.

-Reid
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:01 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat View Post
Chop the nose off about three inches back and put the camera inside the nose. That's what I did, works great.

I have a problem as well, I have the CEOSD and I can't seem to ever get GPS lock in the field. I've gotten it a few times inside my house but it usually doesn't ever lock! I have it inside the nose of my airplane directly behind the camera (which is also in the nose). I also have a 900mhz 1.5W TX on the wing tip.

Also what would be the best match to the IBCrazy vee as a ground antenna? Just the ground plane antenna? Thanks in advance.

-Reid
it is too close to camera..move GPS as far away from camera as possible..
my GPS is out on top of the wing.
GPS will not lock inside house.....it has to see the sky...
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:24 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
it is too close to camera..move GPS as far away from camera as possible..
my GPS is out on top of the wing.
GPS will not lock inside house.....it has to see the sky...
I've had it lock in the house before that's whats funny haha. I bet its the camera though, I'll try that.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
The thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211816

You must consider that the DOSD is not right for you, it is very flexible, but also very technical. I recommend you save yourself a great deal of confusion and trouble from the start and not use DOSD. I have been using it for many months and it is still a source of confusion and frustration for me. The wiring is complex and full of pitfalls like ground loops and over voltage to certain pins. The RTH programming has about 10 gain settings that all interact with each other. Many on the thread have never been fully successful with the autopilot settings.
Don't get me wrong, there is much to love about the DOSD, but if you say you aren't technical, it's not the best OSD for you.
If you must have RTH (against IBCrazy's good advice) consider the Cyclops Storm. It looks very simple and very capable. There are many other simple OSDs out there, but not many with RTH because RTH is simply not simple.
Well I am stuck with Dragon.
And the link doesn't seem to help me install the parts.
Guess I will have to put the FPV on hold for a year or so, until I can collect more money to move on.
Thanks.
I always seem to go the wrong way.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:36 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Well I am stuck with Dragon.
And the link doesn't seem to help me install the parts.
Guess I will have to put the FPV on hold for a year or so, until I can collect more money to move on.
Thanks.
I always seem to go the wrong way.
You can always sell it to someone and get some money back. Just try to space your equipment apart. Distance is key when positioning receivers, transmitters, and such.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:39 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
The X5 is a pretty cool plane, but not for beginners. The Skwalker is a flying tractor trailer. it hauls a lot of gear, but won't do anything fancy. The Bixler is a decent plane that's easy to fly.

Honestly, I'd go on another website, find a plane you like, and throw some FPV gear in it. Try a P-38 lightning

-Alex
The reason I threw those planes up is they were realitively small and compact. Something I could bring to the lake and buzz around the cabin. Don't have much experience with wings other than my stryker, most of my background is in 3d planes. I tend to push the envelope on the speed side but I wanted something that had a wider envelope but not something that burns a hole in the sky as this would be first foray in fpv outside of my tricopter I am building. I'm kinda leaning towards the X5 but the efficiency of the airframe is making me think twice, I have heard the mah is not that good.

depends.......
So the other question I have regarding the UHF systems is about the OSD. When you get the UHF system do you have to get the corresponding OSD with it or can you get different stuff? I was looking at dragonlink as a farther down the road setup from 72mhz but does that mean anything for autopilot, osd, gps and incompatibilities?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:42 AM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
In-runner or out-runner

I've ordered my Skysurfer kit V1 and have been trying to figure out the preferred motor type for FPV flying.

Are there interference issues with an outrunner versus an inrunner?

Based on other's success in this thread, I am leaning towards the Eflite 6 series 2700kv with apc 6X4e prop.

thanks for any help
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:49 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
I've ordered my Skysurfer kit V1 and have been trying to figure out the preferred motor type for FPV flying.

Are there interference issues with an outrunner versus an inrunner?

Based on other's success in this thread, I am leaning towards the Eflite 6 series 2700kv with apc 6X4e prop.

thanks for any help

I guess it depends on what kind of FPV'ing your going to be doing, but its my understanding that a lower kv motor will be more efficient, and usually thats what people are shooting for in FPV.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:04 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Lenses are dirt cheap. Securitycamera 2000 sells them 2 for $5. Buy several and try them. I like 3.6, but I would use 2.8 if I had no camera pan. 4 is too narrow in my opinion.
I switch mine out depending on mission.
Can you really change lenses? I thought they are not removable. So, are there any screws holding it on the board, or do you just hold the lens and turn it anti-clock wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
------------------------------
I'm a beginner like you, and also had a hard time navigating via a laptop. I think it can help to point the fpv-camera a bit more down, that way even with a narrow view, you get more land and less sky in there, and it will be easier to navigate.

The files from easycap get superbig, 1giga/minute, but if you put these files into moviemaker and edit, they are suddenly going from 1 giga to maybe 20mb or something like that. Good idea if you want to keep the files :-).
I will point the camera down before I order any new camera. Thanks for the moviemaker suggestion - so far I have not search how to edit files, as I don't have any footage worth keeping/uploading

Thank you all for helping out
dk31 is online now Find More Posts by dk31
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:16 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFlite View Post
So I got to try FPV for the first time today. I went out early this morning and set everything up and did a test flight. The video looked good so I let a friend launch me while I looked at my LCD screen. As I got into the air I realized that the ground was completely black. I couldn't see the ground at all and it was very unnerving. I looked up and found the plane so I could land. After landing I waited about a half hour until the sun was over the hill. I threw it up again but this time the video flickered violently whenever I added throttle. I landed, changed the battery(even thought it was still almost full) and tried again. I was OK, so I threw it up again. I flew out about 400ft away and about 300 ft up. Then suddenly I started to get static and it blue screened. I managed to look up and find it, landing it safely. I re-positioned the transmitter about 7 inches away from the receiver and tried again. It flew up but my camera went black. The EZOSD was still there but the screen was black. I decided it was time to stop so I brought it down and messed with it. The camera is connected but it is not showing up, just the OSD.
I'm a newb my self, but sounds like more than one issues there.
-Black ground and black screen could mean that you need to change the camera settings (exposure?). Initially I had no image at all, and thought it's an antenna or channel or defective Vtx issue. It all became crystal clear when I changed camera settings.
-flicker with throttle could be caused by unbalanced prop/motor or interference with main power system: I use a separate 3S 500mAh battery for powering camera and Vtx. Adds a few more grams to AUW, but at least this way you eliminate a possible source of interference
dk31 is online now Find More Posts by dk31
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:27 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Can you really change lenses? I thought they are not removable. So, are there any screws holding it on the board, or do you just hold the lens and turn it anti-clock wise?
There should be a tiny black philips set screw right on top of the lens barrel. Loosen that and unscrew the lens. That's also how you focus the lens, so do it with the video on so you can see when to tighten the set screw again.
Super easy.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess