HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:54 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Jim - thanks for the info. I actually have those book marked and will probably get those.

I went and got the hk 5.8g 200mw tx rx, so I am hoping that the bluebeams give that setup the boost that it will need.

I am going to do a nice range check with the gear on the bixler soon as it arrives, any idea what i should expect?
Be sure to pick up RPSMA adapters for those. HK uses RPSMA.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:58 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
IMO it depends on how you look at it. You may choose any point as GND reference which by definition is 0 volts. If you choose your battery's negative side as GND then, not to violate ohms law, you'll get spikes at the other end of the black wire. But if you choose the ESC's negative as GND then you're safe. Remind that most current flows between lipo and ESC and to your motor. The other electronic parts are way less loaded.

Martin
Thanks but I'm still at a loss as to the consequences of using toroids on the ground wire in the example I described. Surely that will cause ground potential differences in different parts of the circuit.
cmanley_nl is online now Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
38 Posts
Hello everyone. My very first post, ever!

I'm 39 and have wanted a real RC plane for a long time. Had no idea that the new foamies had brought the prices down so low, and now there's no long wait while you build a plane that can't survive one hard landing. I'm ready to get in the game.

The thought of flying FPV with goggles miles away is very intriguing. I'm looking to get the plane set up and flying so I can figure out what FPV gear I need to do long distance someday.

I'm going to order the HK EPP FPV because it seems to be the "standard", but have absolutely no idea what motor, prop, radio, battery, etc to use. I know I could search for hours and find a million different setups, but then I'd have no idea if any of it actually works together. Do any of you know of any build threads that worked out good that I could just copy? I'd like to just place an order with HK for all the pieces and then be done with it. Any help is most appreciated.

Craig
mp43sniper is offline Find More Posts by mp43sniper
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp43sniper View Post

I'm 39 and have wanted a real RC plane for a long time. Had no idea that the new foamies had brought the prices down so low, and now there's no long wait while you build a plane that can't survive one hard landing. I'm ready to get in the game.

The thought of flying FPV with goggles miles away is very intriguing. I'm looking to get the plane set up and flying so I can figure out what FPV gear I need to do long distance someday.

I'm going to order the HK EPP FPV because it seems to be the "standard", but have absolutely no idea what motor, prop, radio, battery, etc to use. I know I could search for hours and find a million different setups, but then I'd have no idea if any of it actually works together. Do any of you know of any build threads that worked out good that I could just copy? I'd like to just place an order with HK for all the pieces and then be done with it. Any help is most appreciated.

Craig
I'ld recommend the Multiplex EasyStar II for a beginner. Later on you can easily convert it to FPV with standard cockpit replacements that you can buy online like this:
http://tienda.stockrc.com/FPV-Cockpit-EasyStar-I

Here's a build thread with all the gear info you need:
http://myrcguide.com/index.php?topic=14278.0
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:48 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:

Craig
----------------------------------
The thread on the HK EPP is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577733

But if you want a first plane I think the HK Bixler is a much better choice, it's lighter more floaty, and will resist crashes better. It also is a plane that consumes much less power, so needs smaller batteries.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
I have a simple FPV setup from HK, 900mhz 200mw with standard whip antennas. The range seems to be quite good, but I'm wondering if maybe I should get a patch antenna for the RX.

Could anybody give me an idea on how much such an antenna can improve the range ?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
38 Posts
Very interesting. Thank you both. I had the Bixler in my "shopping cart" at HK, but then read some threads about it being not particularly good for a beginner. Since it is RTF, I am very hopeful it would work out good for a 1st FPV and then be something I could upgrade over time. Anyone else with a vote for the Bixler?

Any recommendations for the 2nd Version of the Spyhawk, or is it more of a toy?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Very interesting. Thank you both. I had the Bixler in my "shopping cart" at HK, but then read some threads about it being not particularly good for a beginner. Since it is RTF, I am very hopeful it would work out good for a 1st FPV and then be something I could upgrade over time. Anyone else with a vote for the Bixler?

--------------
I have researched the bixler quite well, it is a similar plane to one I have, the clouds fly, but a little bit bigger and slower, and better for fpv.
For learning to fly these pusher planes are about as good as a first plane can be. For a beginner's fpv without need to carry too heavy equipment, the bixler should also be very good. Just don't expect it to be easy, and learn to fly without fpv first.

The spyhawk is a similar plane, maybe good if you're willing to spend a lot more money, for a much smaller plane - just to get everything ready to fly out of the box.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:34 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
I have a simple FPV setup from HK, 900mhz 200mw with standard whip antennas. The range seems to be quite good, but I'm wondering if maybe I should get a patch antenna for the RX.

Could anybody give me an idea on how much such an antenna can improve the range ?
Your range will be doubled every 6dB. So if your whip is 3dBi, a 9dBi patch will double your range. Note that highly directional antennas should be pointed at your plane with great precision. For a 9dBi patch the 3dB beam width is about 65 degrees.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Your range will be doubled every 6dB. So if your whip is 3dBi, a 9dBi patch will double your range. Note that highly directional antennas should be pointed at your plane with great precision. For a 9dBi patch the 3dB beam width is about 65 degrees.

Martin
--------------
Thanks !
From my limited knowledge I thought that also whip antennas are directional, will a patch antenna be more limited to direction than the basic ones ?

It seems like from the antenna I looked at I will nearly double my range then, from a 3dBi to 8dBi. But if I need to point the antenna at the plane, it will not be of much use.. Maybe best to just order and test :-). IF I ever get flying weather.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
740 Posts
In fact they are! But in the vertical plane, not the horizontal plane. It depends on what your goal is. If you want to fly in all directions, 360 degrees around, high & low then a low gain is better. But if you want to go for distance, a high gain is needed (and/or a sensitive receiver).

To understand it better, have a look here:

http://www.rcexplorer.se/Educational/gain/gain.html

The amount of 'clay' corresponds with your vtx power.
btw, even with a patch you can fly behind or aside the antenna, but not as far as in front of the patch.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:54 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
497 Posts
After abandoning my Skywalker for more than a year due to unresolved noise issues (and unresolved questions), I hope to get it airborne again by rewiring everything and doing it right.
So I hope somebody can please help me with some questions:

1. When tapping power from a 1 lipo setup, is it better to do it near the battery or near the ESC, or doesn't it matter at all?
2. Is it best to not pass the ground wire through any sort of toroid anywhere in the whole system to avoid ground potential differences?
3. Would it be a good idea to add a few 220uF capacitors between the battery to ESC wires on the ESC side since the wires are quite long in a Skywalker?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:36 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Be sure to pick up RPSMA adapters for those. HK uses RPSMA.

-Alex
Alex - thanks for the heads up. Im am guessing radio shack? Frys is a nice local electronics shop here in north Texas, so maybe they have those.

Michael
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:40 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
629 Posts
Quote:

I own the bixler - it does not get any easier than it. I love it, combined with my dx6i, it is a real pleasure to fly. Super stable, I can put it up a few hundred feet, cut the throttle, send a text message, or have a conversation with a friend, and it is always right where i expect it to be.

So i highly reccomend it, very stable for fpv, and super cheap...
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
I own the bixler - it does not get any easier than it. I love it, combined with my dx6i, it is a real pleasure to fly. Super stable, I can put it up a few hundred feet, cut the throttle, send a text message, or have a conversation with a friend, and it is always right where i expect it to be.

So i highly reccomend it, very stable for fpv, and super cheap...
I'm reading I should get a 7ch 72mhz Futaba, but that doesn't seem to be a common transmitter. Anyone have a recommendation for a place to get a good radio?
Last edited by mp43sniper; Oct 05, 2012 at 10:27 PM.