HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
hey guys, Ive been getting good quality video off my 1.2 rhcp gear, 500mw tx. a couple hundered feet up out about 1.5km or so, nothing crazy. But i want to start doing some high elevation stuff from the field at my house, I have a 10db patch, should I run both the Skew and the patch on my oracle? I read thats not great with cp gear. For some reason Im scared to go high lol just cause i dont wanna loose the new zeph
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Most important - use a long -range RC like DragonLink, etc.
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:56 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
im runnin tslrs
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Hey guys,
What's a good starting setup, all together that is, to put on a RC car that operates on 2.4 GHZ?
at3whee is offline Find More Posts by at3whee
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:36 AM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post

And I know that the range of my control is about 3000 feet. So until I have a way to monitor my control integrity I will not be going beyond that.

In terms of range:

Your going to run out of control distance before you run out of video range. Know the limits of your system. For good clear video 5.8 is the way to go.
what do you have for control?
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:40 AM
Aby
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
few of mine fpv flights from vacation ( montenegro )
bit windy cuz it was august :S
Montenegro FPV (7 min 15 sec)
Aby is offline Find More Posts by Aby
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
Cool! I gotta plan a trip to somewhere to get decent video. Here is boring.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:18 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,241 Posts
One question about basic electronics

I shielded my PPM wire from the Rx to OSD using metalic thinfoil adhesive paper (its conductive) but now someone told me that its useless unless i connect the metalic shielding covering to ground.

Im thinking in using a solution wich is buy shielded stereo audio wire.. its a shielded wire with 2 wires inside and using the metalic shielding as ground.. people here reported good stuff with theese wires..

The thing is since the metalic covering is used as ground it will be coneected to ground in both RX (via PPM Encoder) and the OSD.. wich is like its now since the ground wire runs from one to another as with all wires..

But im my setup (Ikarus OSD) i use 2 batteries.. one feeds the regular stuff , ESC/motor , RX , Servos via te ESC's built in BEC (plane only uses 2 servos for control plus one for pan ) and then we have another battery for the FPV stuff wich feeds the OSD wich has an internal voltage regulator and throught it feeds the Video Tx, camera , OSD and GPS (and stabylizer if pressent)..

Now the regular current goes throught the OSD as well (as Ikarus has autopilot function for PPM encoding meaning it can take direct control of servos meaning they are pluged into it) to the Rx and from there goes back also to servos throught the OSD.. this is the normal working of the system

So the question is... can i have a common ground for both power sources tought they never "meet" each other (each feeds separated stuff and never the same item)

Is true that if i shield "manualy" (thinfoil) a wire i must conect that shielding to ground or its useless? (that would explain why i still had some interferences on PPM chanel after sheilding)
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:26 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
661 Posts
It is true that you need to ground the shield in order for it to be effective. The good news in your case though is that you should only ground the shield from one side, not both. Grounding both ends will create a ground loop which is not good. You can therefore avoid having a common ground, just connect the receiving end, the OSD ground to the shield.
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quick question about frequencies and trees. I'm using a 1.2ghz radio and a 5.8ghz Video system right now. It's working great, but obviously trees are a problem due to the 5.8gh video. Unfortunately, the area I live in is very wooded...trying to find open spaces without trees is very difficult. I'm going to quickly exhaust the locations that I can fly.

Should I eventually upgrade my setup to 900mhz? Do frequencies that low basically ignore trees, or will I still need to find a relatively un-wooded area to fly?
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Cool! I gotta plan a trip to somewhere to get decent video. Here is boring.
Kansas is freekin beautiful, dude

There is nowhere on earth with a sunset like western Kansas. And then in the summer time you get those awesome storms - I would love to FPV some of those...

Did you know Kansas has over 800 different types of indigenous flowers? And, almost 500 kinds of birds!

http://www.surfaceandsurfacephotogra...4kq5&lb=1&s=XL

http://www.surfaceandsurfacephotogra...bRRp&lb=1&s=XL (WOW! I mean... really)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:12 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Kansas is freekin beautiful, dude

There is nowhere on earth with a sunset like western Kansas. And then in the summer time you get those awesome storms - I would love to FPV some of those...

Did you know Kansas has over 800 different types of indigenous flowers? And, almost 500 kinds of birds!

http://www.surfaceandsurfacephotogra...4kq5&lb=1&s=XL

http://www.surfaceandsurfacephotogra...bRRp&lb=1&s=XL (WOW! I mean... really)
He could always go to Mt Sunflower, the highest point in the state and do some high altitude flying

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
It is true that you need to ground the shield in order for it to be effective. The good news in your case though is that you should only ground the shield from one side, not both. Grounding both ends will create a ground loop which is not good. You can therefore avoid having a common ground, just connect the receiving end, the OSD ground to the shield.
Ok i checked with the Ikarus guys and they say Ikarus is made so all grounds are common.... actually now the PPM wire is conected from the Rx to the OSD and it has 3 wires (5V from ESC BEC to Rx, PPM signal and ground) and that ground is allready conected to both and is suposed to be..

Im guess im fine them?

actually i think i have no choice... FPV guys here recomended me using stereo wire shielded cable to make good shielded FPV wires.. so if i use it i have to conect both sides to ground since the shielding itself is ground.. and even if now i conect one of the sides only of the external shielding to one of the sides grounds.. its all connected anyway
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,348 Posts
I''m putting together a shopping list to get my feet wet with FPV. I'm flying 10-42oz planes with a barnstorming mentality in small areas..we''ll see how that goes first time under the hood LOL. Thought I would start with a simple plane, so I put together a HobbyZone Super Cub with ailerons. (starting FPV in my Precision Aerobatics Ultimate Biplane would not be the way to go)
2.4Mghz control since that's what I have.
goal is short distance so 5.8Ghz video
I'm going to go with Fatshark goggles, either the Dominators for image clarity or new Attitude for a little larger FOV. I'm interested in action, not relaxing, so the more immersive FOV is attractive. Either set will allow 5.8Ghz receiver on board.
Transmitter would be immersion RC. Either the 250mW or 600mW.
Antenna, Blue Beam Whip set seems like the way to go for flying all around and at any attitude.
Camera: NTSC, 3.6mm lense, need good light handling, this camers is 12V so it may or may not work on 3s...I jsut need a good camera that will send good detail óf what's darker below the treeline while the camera is exposed to sunlight above the treeline... http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=346 Any better suggestions on the camera.

Please feel free to point me in another direction, I''m open to suggestions. I'm fine soldering. I want to buy good gear so I can get my feet wet.

Scheduled to take the technicians test in 2 weeks.
Jim
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Last edited by JimTMich; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:52 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,296 Posts
I highly suggest looking into a set of EVG920 goggles rather than the FatSharks. While the FatSharks are popular, the image quality of the EVG920's is better. Use the Immersion Uno receiver. This is far superior to the built-in unit in the FatSharks.

Everything else looks pretty good to me. The 600TVL camera from RMRC is the best camera I ever used. It is truly top dog there.

I always felt image quality to be most important to my enjoyment of the FPV experience. Thus, I make the above recommendations because that's what I personally use.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member