SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Yeah I wasn't very verbose, sorry iskess.

The problem I see is that TV signals are not microwaves and so your switch will introduce losses and impedance mismatch. But for receivers it's safe to try and see what happens. If you have a directional coupler & detector and attenuator, you could try to measure the device using your vtx and estimate how good or bad it actually is.

My poor man's diversity would still have two receivers, but a manually operated switch. Note that some receivers don't have rssi and I don't know how a cheap image quality detector could be made. Just an idea, I have stereo sound but use only the left channel. The right channel could perhaps serve as signal strength indicator; it begins to rustle when the signal fades away.

Martin
I'm still confused by your post, even with your extra verbosity (is that a word). Perhaps you are thinking that the A/B switch I posted a photo of was to be used for antennas? I would have 2 Rx and simply switch their output manually rather than via software. I would never put something like this between the antenna and the Rx unless specifically designed to do so.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:10 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
743 Posts
Ah, now I get it. I was indeed thinking of a single receiver, toggling between two antenna inputs. But your poor man's idea is like mine; two receivers with their own antennas. And switching between their output is done manually using your box.

I see no problem any more, except maybe that your audio channels are lost.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:11 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Ah, now I get it. I was indeed thinking of a single receiver, toggling between two antenna inputs. But your poor man's idea is like mine; two receivers with their own antennas. And switching between their output is done manually using your box.

I see no problem any more, except maybe that your audio channels are lost.

Martin
Hmmm, I didn't think about the audio. I guess I could try just mixing the audio from each Rx together, but then one will contaminate the other with static.
I could just sacrifice the audio on the omni, and keep it on the directional which would be most of my flying.
Thanks for pointing this out.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hi guys,

Let's pretend that I'm a newbie (which I'm not) so that I can get a fresh new system more suitable for my style and environment:

I would like to build a flying wing plane that is capable of about 3-5 miles. Because I fly in a relatively populated area with amazing cell phone reception and active wi-fi frequencies, I believe that my best bet will be 1.3ghz. I plan on using a Dragonlink, though, so I may need some some serious help with filtering.

I think that 300mw will be plenty of power in my case. I want to use my Stryker, which is a relatively small plane, but it can carry a ton of weight. I currently own a Dragonlink, RMRC-540, a 500mah FPV battery, and a fully built Stryker. All I will need is:

-A reciever
-A reciever antenna
-A transmitter (with antenna)

Here are some pictures of where I fly:

Name: Flight Pic 1-1.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 47.6 KB
Description:

Name: Flight Pic 1-2.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 52.3 KB
Description:

Any input, suggestions, or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jul 2011
40 Posts
Hi all FPV flyers. It's my first post here and I have to say, this is huge, 468+ pages to read and i'm only at page 24. I'm interested in getting into FPV flying 1-2 miles distance and just wondering if anybody can tell me what i have bought can provide me with the distance that i want. I'm trying to use whatever i already have since i'm on a budget.

My setup:
Futaba F8tg
Parkzone 51 mustang
5.8g 200mw Tx and RX
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html (that was surgested at the bigginning of the forum)
HD Wing Camera (i have lying around)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html
A broken down portable cd player that will be used as a screen only.

Is my setup good enough to get what i want? I was thinking of getting one of IBcrazy blubeam clover leaf antenna if my stock setup is not good enough. If i have to get IB's blubeam clover leaf antenna, will i need special adapters for my video rx and tx? if so, what do i need to get to make the antenna fit?

I'm also planning on adding a osd HobbyKing Tiny OSD
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_sensor_.html
anybody had experience with this unit?

I'm also a park flyer. I also live a populated area with good phone receptions and plenty of wifi around.
what do you think? thanks in advance
BouncingProtos is offline Find More Posts by BouncingProtos
Last edited by BouncingProtos; Sep 23, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:47 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,285 Posts
anyone used a Corona RP8D1 35mhz receiver modded with RSSI ?

im interested in knowing if anyone used for FPV with an OSD and if the RSSI mod introduced noise
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:05 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BouncingProtos View Post
Hi all FPV flyers. It's my first post here and I have to say, this is huge, 468+ pages to read and i'm only at page 24. I'm interested in getting into FPV flying 1-2 miles distance and just wondering if anybody can tell me what i have bought can provide me with the distance that i want. I'm trying to use whatever i already have since i'm on a budget.

My setup:
Futaba F8tg
Parkzone 51 mustang
5.8g 200mw Tx and RX
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html (that was surgested at the bigginning of the forum)
HD Wing Camera (i have lying around)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html
A broken down portable cd player that will be used as a screen only.

Is my setup good enough to get what i want? I was thinking of getting one of IBcrazy blubeam clover leaf antenna if my stock setup is not good enough. If i have to get IB's blubeam clover leaf antenna, will i need special adapters for my video rx and tx? if so, what do i need to get to make the antenna fit?

I'm also planning on adding a osd HobbyKing Tiny OSD
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_sensor_.html
anybody had experience with this unit?

I'm also a park flyer. I also live a populated area with good phone receptions and plenty of wifi around.
what do you think? thanks in advance
I'm no expert by any means, matter of fact I only have a handful of true FPV flights under my belt. BUT....I have been doing my research, reading, reading and doing more reading for more than a year before I even launched my rig with my FPV equipment. A few points.

1) Get used to flying with the extra weight. Your flight characteristics are going to change with the added weight. Use a dummy load to simulate your gear.

2) Baby steps. Instead of wanting to be out more than a mile, get used to flying FPV 500 feet, 1000 feet, 1/2 mile...etc etc. Like I said, I'm new too. This weekend I just reached out over 1/2 a mile. But the thing is, is that I felt comfortable out that far. And I know that the range of my control is about 3000 feet. So until I have a way to monitor my control integrity I will not be going beyond that.

In terms of range:

Your going to run out of control distance before you run out of video range. Know the limits of your system. For good clear video 5.8 is the way to go. But what makes all the difference are the antenna's. Anything is better than stock. Know that 5.8 does not have good penetration of obstacles. In general, if you are just learning, make sure you are away from any kind of distractions, obstacles or anything that will get in the way of your flight. You shouldn't need special adapters for IB's CL. I would highly suggest upgrading from stock antenna.

Anyways, have fun! READ READ and READ some more. And don't forget to get your Technicians class Amateur Radio License. :-)
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jul 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
I'm no expert by any means, matter of fact I only have a handful of true FPV flights under my belt. BUT....I have been doing my research, reading, reading and doing more reading for more than a year before I even launched my rig with my FPV equipment. A few points.

1) Get used to flying with the extra weight. Your flight characteristics are going to change with the added weight. Use a dummy load to simulate your gear.

2) Baby steps. Instead of wanting to be out more than a mile, get used to flying FPV 500 feet, 1000 feet, 1/2 mile...etc etc. Like I said, I'm new too. This weekend I just reached out over 1/2 a mile. But the thing is, is that I felt comfortable out that far. And I know that the range of my control is about 3000 feet. So until I have a way to monitor my control integrity I will not be going beyond that.

In terms of range:

Your going to run out of control distance before you run out of video range. Know the limits of your system. For good clear video 5.8 is the way to go. But what makes all the difference are the antenna's. Anything is better than stock. Know that 5.8 does not have good penetration of obstacles. In general, if you are just learning, make sure you are away from any kind of distractions, obstacles or anything that will get in the way of your flight. You shouldn't need special adapters for IB's CL. I would highly suggest upgrading from stock antenna.

Anyways, have fun! READ READ and READ some more. And don't forget to get your Technicians class Amateur Radio License. :-)
Thanks for the tips. I didnt mention this on my first post but i was planning on taking one baby step at a time. Of course i wont be going far on my first few flights until i get comfortable with my flying and equipments. What about my equipments? What do you guys think? Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
697 Posts
Your equipment looks good. At this frequency just make sure to get a CL/SPW antenna set. Your 200mW 5.8GHz set comes with RP-SMA connectors, not SMA. Just make sure to use those when you buy or make your own antennas.

Also make sure that your CD/DVD player's screen doesn't blue or black screen when bad video signal is received, otherwise you'll be blind. You want it to keep displaying down to static with poor video reception, that's one of the key requirements for LCDs or goggles.
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:50 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,352 Posts
^Spot on advice!
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jul 2011
40 Posts
Thanks for the advices. Which connectors are more comond? Where can i get a clover leaf antenna with the RP-SMA plug or should i get a clover leaf with SMA plug and get RP-SMA to SMA adapter? Will i lose signal strength if i use an adapter?

Is here any brand name screen that are not prone to blue out/blackout?

Im still on page 27.... Long way from this page
Thanks again
Last edited by BouncingProtos; Sep 24, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:37 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
Your going to run out of control distance before you run out of video range. Know the limits of your system.
I proved this one just yesterday!
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:02 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I proved this one just yesterday!
So how did it end, and have ya got video of it?? I've been afraid of doing the same, that's why I just invested in a full Eagle Tree OSD system with RTH. .
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:37 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,289 Posts
It ended well. I wasn't that much farther away than usual but the combination of distance and altitude and the X factor combined and I just lost control of the plane (a Stryker). It went into a turning dive for about three or four seconds and then ... I had control again.

I had full video (goggles) the whole time, but don't have any recordings of the incident.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Hi guys,

So I'm looking for a new FPV cam for another quad I'm building. I've been using this one,
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/DPC-540A-...-540-Line.html
and am pretty satisfied, but want to get something cheaper and maybe better resolution. So that brings me to a couple questions.

I was considering this one, which some of you have suggested:
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

But then i started reading the specs and looking at other cams offered by that site and I'm wondering if there's something better? like this one maybe:
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr....8mm-lens.html

Questions:
1) what is the highest reolution supported by Fatshark Dominators?
2) does true WDR versus D-WDR make a difference?
3) Are there any other features the first option doesn't have that I may want that another option offers, while still being reasonable priced, say <$100.?

Thanks for the input
Eric
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez