SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHTON View Post
5.8 would not necessarily fix your issues. I fly in a congested area on 1280, many others do as well. Post pics of the plane, gs and the test area, I have a feeling it is most likely something in the setup or even bad gear. The noise floor would have to be crazy high for 1280 to not work.
Thank you, we will have another go at it. Now that I think about it, it could be the ground station antenna.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
Well, it was just 900MHz interference around me, found out I have multiple 850MHz-880MHz towers around me. I decided to just pull the trigger on a Lawmate 500mw TX/RX combo, a 6dbi whip for TX, and an 8dbi patch for the TX. The TX is about the size of a quarter! Not used to this small technology coming from 900MHz! Decided against the 1000mw, as I figure that would just cause more problems than it would solve. Will be selling the 900MHz stuff, or maybe using it on a scratch build.

Anyway, should be pretty awesome. I would have gone 5.8GHz, but I don't know if I can make the CP antennas, and don't want to buy them. Further, I have flown in my area with a 100mw 2.4GHz system before, and it was beautiful, no interference what so ever!

EDIT: I realize a Racewood RX may have solved my problem, but I would rather spend the money to have it definitely solved rather than probably solved.
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:43 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmonyon View Post
sweet as, thanks for that,

What type of distance would i be getting with booster on the remote ?
i've been out 3.5km with frsky module in my futaba 9C with 1w booster, video was getting sketchy so i chickened out (5.8/200 cl/spw)

mate of mine went out 4.5km with his turnigy 9X with 1w boosted frsky, but that was a suicide mission lol he didnt think he would make it back coz the video was that bad (5.8/200 cl/spw)
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:13 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
I found havering video rx antenna right under the main battery or there abouts, pointing down works best

Have all blocking stuff on top of video tx antenna, as most of the time you fly above yourself

When flying below your self opposite

Have video rx antenna above all blocking stuff

Small 2.4 video tx antennas work well as the actual,length is like only 1/2 inch or so so can be embedded inside foam and just little sticking under for best video but most important is aerodynamic aspects

My USB cable is lost in the office so,will have to show pictures of what I mean soon

Whole idea is to have everything right above video rx antenna and video rx antenna pointing down

No stuff out on the wings at all for fpv

Stuff outmonnwingsnjustmruins the flight characteristics of a plane especiallymwhen going fast or with glider

It was amasing how much better my video improved when imdid asmyou justmdid with one glidermthat had carbon spars etc. had to just adjust video tx a small movement to get much much better video

Being close to carbon spar really can mess up,video, smal movement away was all,itmtook

Glad yours is better now

There are many other things to improve video as well

QUOTE=snelan;22740539]Yea, I think I have the problem solved now.

Out of your rules, I was violating:

1) Coax next to aileron and flap wires

2) VTX next to aileron a flap wires

3) Antenna near CF spar

4) And I think the actual wing was blocking some signal[/QUOTE]
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
I read the new lawmate rx's have problems as older,ones do not
So became full with your new purchase

Tim at ready made fpv store sells supposedly ones that work but fixed on chanell

The 8 dbi patch is great but not for long range and in poor areas to fly

I use high dbi video rx antennas and aim them and it works well

Picked up a 16 dbi 2.4 patch yesterday and will,comparemthatmto my 14 dbi yagi

Done experimenting with 6dbi and higher whips and not worth it at all even with nice level,flight, the video tx is better with a 3 dbi or not to high dbi video tx antenna

1 watt video tx's are great and work really well for 3d flying, only draw back is current draw and regulators etc. if 1 watt video tx is used in larger plane because of allowable larger video rx battery then great

250 milliamperes 2.4 works fantastic as is is easy on regulators for one battery system

It all depends on what you want to do,when you fly

My funjet goes faster than almost all zepher or larger wings and easy gets 5 km away, with 250 milliamperes 2.4 video tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelan View Post
Well, it was just 900MHz interference around me, found out I have multiple 850MHz-880MHz towers around me. I decided to just pull the trigger on a Lawmate 500mw TX/RX combo, a 6dbi whip for TX, and an 8dbi patch for the TX. The TX is about the size of a quarter! Not used to this small technology coming from 900MHz! Decided against the 1000mw, as I figure that would just cause more problems than it would solve. Will be selling the 900MHz stuff, or maybe using it on a scratch build.

Anyway, should be pretty awesome. I would have gone 5.8GHz, but I don't know if I can make the CP antennas, and don't want to buy them. Further, I have flown in my area with a 100mw 2.4GHz system before, and it was beautiful, no interference what so ever!

EDIT: I realize a Racewood RX may have solved my problem, but I would rather spend the money to have it definitely solved rather than probably solved.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
147 Posts
Is it possable to hook up UHF system to my Airtonices 8000 72mHz radio?

Tonic
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
@ David, what kind of range do you think I will get with my patch? I wanted a decent range, maybe 5 or so km, while still being able to fly basically anywhere in front of me. I use an 8dbi 900MHz now, so I figure this will work pretty well. Might pick up the 14dbi later if I feel like I need to go further.

Is the 6dbi omni really too much? I fly SUPER level, I usually just cruise around with Pilot Assist (Stabilization on my OSD) and only use my rudder to turn. If so, I'll probably just stay with the stock, or make an inverted vee.

Also, do I still need to separate my Rangelink TX and my VRX on the ground?

Should I use CP antennas on 2.4GHz?

EDIT: To the guy above me, if it has a trainer plug, you will be able to. Also, if that is a module based radio, it will be even easier.
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan
Last edited by snelan; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
8 dbi patch is great and will get you far away like easy 5 km no problem in clean area

Nice wide beam but just not good as high dbi antenna that needs tracking

I tried 6 dbi and i think even higher dbi video tx antenna before but did not like it or was worth it , way better to use high dbi on rx side

With high dbi tx antenna I flew from top,of cliff and flew low below me so my test was not normal,, high dbi video tx I found not great as when I bank and turn video is not good as low dbi video tx antenna

Practice with low dbi patch like 8 dbi then go higher dbi for video rx

Do ground tests to see if separation is needed
For ground and for the plane

I,like to,set up,the plane on the bench or chair, then walk away with ground station and view video to test for video, various tests can be done this way

Like testing 6 dbi bars 3 dbi video tx antenna
Which channel works best for video etc.

As you last problem also,if carbon or wires crossing can improve video as a few examples

Then walk away with plane to test for rc control for ground tests

You have to combine video and rc control together during ground test as it is way easier on the ground than in the air

One example of my ground tests about separation on the ground station showed me, certain ferites on the coax near the antennas and the receivers makes world of difference in not needing separation

The goggles also can use ferites as UHF will,effect the video in goggles

The whole idea is to get everything close on the ground and on the plane as possible and still get best situation

Limit your separation in all cases
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts
Hey all. I just completed my 3rd-5th FPV flight this eve. Complete success despite my gear. I'm using a Dx6i and a 1.5 mW Vid Tx/Rx. This eve I used my patch antenna built on IBCrazy's design. Everything worked FLAWLESSLY, as far as I'm concerned. Using Google Earth I flew about 1 mile on two flights and 1.5 on the last. I even had my cell phone on in my pocket...

So I guess I am very lucky. Video had a few flickers, but I never lost it more than 1-2 seconds.

This range will work for me for a while. I will focus on fine tuning my plane and equipment before looking for longer range. FPV is a complete blast.

What are the experts thoughts on my results? I live in Yuma, Az and am flying over desert and some neighborhoods. I'm guessing I don't have much RF interference which is letting me get this range? My planes Ant is the stock one that HK sends.
gawlerj is offline Find More Posts by gawlerj
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:28 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,304 Posts
Looking for advice on a smooth servo for panning. I have a Henge 260 and there is too much play in the metal gears. The wiggle is visible in video. I want tighter gears, maybe plastic is better. I tried an HS-80 with a SSV4 servo stretcher but for some reason it makes my servo have a spastic epileptic fit.
Ive heard sail winches are the best, but I don't know of any small enough. I'm looking for about 16g size.
What about digital servos? Why did someone say earlier that they are to be avoided for FPV?
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:29 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Looking for advice on a smooth servo for panning. I have a Henge 260 and there is too much play in the metal gears. The wiggle is visible in video. I want tighter gears, maybe plastic is better. I tried an HS-80 with a SSV4 servo stretcher but for some reason it makes my servo have a spastic epileptic fit.
Ive heard sail winches are the best, but I don't know of any small enough. I'm looking for about 16g size.
What about digital servos? Why did someone say earlier that they are to be avoided for FPV?
I think you cant use digital servos if you want to use a SSV4.
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:03 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
I think you cant use digital servos if you want to use a SSV4.
Oh yes, I know. The digital idea was to get a programmable servo that doesn't need the Stretcher.
Look what's happening when I hook my SSV4 to my HS-80:
http://youtu.be/yo1vX8C7Tz8
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:13 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawlerj View Post
I'm using a Dx6i and a 1.5 mW Vid Tx/Rx.
Using Google Earth I flew about 1 mile on two flights and 1.5 on the last.
Really? That's serious low power and extremely low power/range ratio! Something to be very proud of .

In case you're mistaken and meant 1.5W: that's serious high power and high power/range ratio! Something to be ehmm less proud of

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
i've been out 3.5km with frsky module in my futaba 9C with 1w booster, video was getting sketchy so i chickened out (5.8/200 cl/spw)

mate of mine went out 4.5km with his turnigy 9X with 1w boosted frsky, but that was a suicide mission lol he didnt think he would make it back coz the video was that bad (5.8/200 cl/spw)
haha good stuff,

When our gear gets here i will let you know how we go, no doubt we will run into some troubles so you will probably get a few private msges soon lol

Thanks for your help
schmonyon is offline Find More Posts by schmonyon
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Really? That's serious low power and extremely low power/range ratio! Something to be very proud of .

In case you're mistaken and meant 1.5W: that's serious high power and high power/range ratio! Something to be ehmm less proud of

Martin
Yeah.... 1.5 watt (I'm still real new to this). However, from what a lot of people seem to say, Spectrum radios are not good for more than 1000 feet. And suggest Futaba and FM. While I'm not saying that FM is not better. For my set up I was very pleased to get this range. I'm just wondering if I am risking it too much...
gawlerj is offline Find More Posts by gawlerj