SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:44 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
I think maybe wettfeat is mistaking of GPSs having RFI from the VTx and that is why a lot of them come with toroidial filters so the GPS is not affected.....it is affected by RFI not so much responsible for it.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Any advice on my mic problem?
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat View Post
Any advice on my mic problem?
None here, I don't think that many people use that 900mhz because it really shortens the tx range. Have you checked the HK forumn? Do you know if the two are compatible? From an impedance perspective..dunno that much about mics.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:40 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
The only issue I've had is that sometimes it splits longer recordings into multiple files, but that's pretty minor to me.
yup, vid footage gets edited anyway
thx for the head's up, i'll pass on your recommendation
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
what antenna do you recommend that's somewhat easy to build for 5.8ghz?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Cloverleaf. The easiest DIY antenna to build. You can use it for both RX and TX.

Check my blog for details.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
1,001 Posts
I have a clover leaf antenna with a straight plastic support piece. The product description says the support can be bent to a 90 degree with heat, but it doesn't say exactly how to do it.
Heat Gun?
Soldering Ironing (rubbing at a lower temp like when you are doing skrink tube)?
Any sugguestions?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
I have a clover leaf antenna with a straight plastic support piece. The product description says the support can be bent to a 90 degree with heat, but it doesn't say exactly how to do it.
Heat Gun?
Soldering Ironing (rubbing at a lower temp like when you are doing skrink tube)?
Any sugguestions?
I've seen many "products" already, but I never heard of this one. Source? Pointers?

Those with bendable cable usually use so called semi-rigid cable. That cable simply can be bent by applying reasonable force. However, the number of times it can be bent before the cable goes out of spec is limitted to a small amount, and one also must maintain a certain minimum radius.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,001 Posts
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1030
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
^ A hairdryer should do the trick. Try to keep an open flame away from it.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,001 Posts
I guess since built most of this stuff, you are the source! As it heats bend 90degrees with my hand or plyers? That is, a softer 90 degree bend or a sharp bend?

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:37 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
510 Posts
Is there a valid reason why I should set GoPro to PAL in a PAL country?

That may be a silly question, but a.f.a.i.k., all modern HD TVs and monitors can play videos at just about any frame rate and the decision to use PAL or NTSC is only relevant for older SD TV's. Is that right? For live out it shouldn't matter either I think since all FPV OSD's, receivers, and DVR's support both standards.

On a side note: my PC monitor refreshes at 60Hz so perhaps a 30 or 60fps video will look even smoother than a video recorded at a frame rate that is a proper divisor of my monitor's refresh rate.

25fps is too slow for me and I want to use 30fps.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
what antenna do you recommend that's somewhat easy to build for 5.8ghz?
definitely build or buy Alex's antennas...if you dont have any of the stuff you may want to buy the first set....for two reasons, 1,you'll be flying sooner, 2 you'll be flying sooner.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:51 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanley_nl View Post
That may be a silly question, but a.f.a.i.k., all modern HD TVs and monitors can play videos at just about any frame rate and the decision to use PAL or NTSC is only relevant for older SD TV's. Is that right? For live out it shouldn't matter either I think since all FPV OSD's, receivers, and DVR's support both standards.

On a side note: my PC monitor refreshes at 60Hz so perhaps a 30 or 60fps video will look even smoother than a video recorded at a frame rate that is a proper divisor of my monitor's refresh rate.

25fps is too slow for me and I want to use 30fps.
It does in fact not matter that much anymore these days. It also does not really buy you that much either. NTSC has a differenc colour encoding which sometimes comes out not as natural as PAL. The other thing is that NTSC has a higher resolution in the time domain, but a slightly lower resolution in the spacial domain. The two things kind of balance each other out when compareding the systems. That said NTSC has a slight advantage with very fast moving scenes, PAL has a slight advantage when it comes to resolution, and as mentioned many people think that the colours are more natural in case of PAL.

Regarding PC monitor presentation, the much bigger issue is the interlaced nature of standard TV signals in both cases. So if you want to go into the digital domain with a standard TV signal, you should run the video through some editing software to apply a so called "deinterlace" operation.

Btw, the exact framerate of (colour) NTSC is not 30fps but 29.97, so that also does not scale perfectly with your monitor. They had to sacrifice the original 30fps framerate a bit back in the times when colour was introduced.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:11 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
510 Posts
Thanks Marcus. So PAL or NTSC is only relevant for (analog) live out and not for digital HD video inside the GoPro. I'll set mine to NTSC then to get 30fps HD video.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl