HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
@IBCrazy: Thanks, I've upgraded the Headplays and will let you know how it goes.
Travis42 is offline Find More Posts by Travis42
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hello again everyone,

I apologize for continuing to ask my slightly irrelevant questions, but I'd really like to get back in the air and do some more FPV.

So here it goes: I would like to try using this motor that is recommended for the Easystar:

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/produc...ce9e3e509938d6

The only issue is that it has a lower Kv and is designed for an 8 inch prop. That's strange since Multiplex recommends it for their plane. Maybe a six inch prop could work? If I could get that confirmed then I will be back in the air soon!

Also, I don't want to use that stupid included folding prop, so couldn't I just use some other prop?

Thanks for all the help,
Jim

EDIT*- Never mind, that motor will work just perfectly.
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:04 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
yeah the dragon link is the nuclear option.. 40 miles range in optimum conditions but that is decreased by various factors. if you want to move up without going broke and have expand-ability get a module radio (rf module plugs into the back of the radio then you can get dragon link later) a 7-9 channel 72 MHZ is perfect. The futaba 9cap is awesome for FPVing..you can get super sevens or even a 4-6 channel depending on how much utility you want. i had a full pan and tilt on a 7 channel but now i have a 9 Chanel. more switches make accessing menus and RTH functions easier. 2.4 then 72 then uhf. 72 Mhz is easily good for two miles some say more. the furthest i have been out is 7200 feet.

i don't mention JR because i don't know anything about them...or the hi tecs, airtronics,etc.
After doing all my research I decided that 72mhz should be fine using my Futaba 9c. Then I proceeded to have nothing but problems, some very scary. Glitches and failsafes that were not predictable. I moved my RX antenna, I increased its length to 1/2 wave, nothing could give me a reliable signal. I finally went nuclear and got the Dragon. Oh what a relief! I will never have to think about my RC link again. Now I can focus on why my video link has poor range and my DOSD RTH doesn't hold altitude. At least I've fixed one variable. This is the only one I know that can be fixed with such certainty, at least for short to mid-range operations.
Just do it. You can sell it for 90% of its purchase price if you change your mind.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Hi Pilots,

I need some advice on my next course of action (please). Here's where things stand. I have been using a 1280mhz (1.2ghz) system for FPV with a CL/SPW combo. I've been getting decent range but would like to go a little further. I will be upgrading to a DOSD V2 + Dragonlink UHF. The Dragonlink is on 433mhz and so I fear that the 3rd harmonic may interfere with my video gear. Should I:

1) Sell off my 1.2ghz gear and get 5.8ghz?

or

2) Not worry and hope that the DL doesn't interfere?

I'm not quite clear on what the best approach here is for me. My goal is to do 5km (eventually). Not sure if this info. is needed by my radio is a Futaba 9C.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:53 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Option 3: Buy a filter for your transmitter.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:11 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrazy View Post
option 3: Buy a filter for your transmitter.

-alex
+1.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:57 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
After doing all my research I decided that 72mhz should be fine using my Futaba 9c. Then I proceeded to have nothing but problems, some very scary. Glitches and failsafes that were not predictable. I moved my RX antenna, I increased its length to 1/2 wave, nothing could give me a reliable signal. I finally went nuclear and got the Dragon. Oh what a relief! I will never have to think about my RC link again. Now I can focus on why my video link has poor range and my DOSD RTH doesn't hold altitude. At least I've fixed one variable. This is the only one I know that can be fixed with such certainty, at least for short to mid-range operations.
Just do it. You can sell it for 90% of its purchase price if you change your mind.
what power VTx are you using.. i used a 1500 MW 900 MHz and it drastically cut the range of my super seven that i have had out to 1.5 miles. The 1.5 miles is with a PCM receiver though. The shorter range was PPM plain old 7 ch receiver. dunno if it matters. never any fail safe issues at 5.8 200 MW... the thing is he still needs a radio, preferably a 9c with a PPM out or module. so it isn't like he is buying something he isn't gonna use.

additionally, i have eagle tree with pressure altitude, stabilization and RTH, id rather run out of video and RTH then the other way around. if you're building up a system i think its the natural progression without buying stuff you wont need .. If i am missing something let me know.

I tried to order a Dragon link twice already and no luck, they have not returned e-mails and are usually out of stock... i will buy one, if they will sell me one.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:37 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,285 Posts
Hi guys. The more I read, the more uncertain I become. Every question has three contradictory answers and leads to another thread a thousand pages long.

So ... HobbyKing 5.8g 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set - yes or no?

I fly 2.4GHz Spektrum gear and have no plans for taking this gear beyond 1/4 - 1/2 mile, LOS.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:59 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
what power VTx are you using.. i used a 1500 MW 900 MHz and it drastically cut the range of my super seven that i have had out to 1.5 miles. The 1.5 miles is with a PCM receiver though. The shorter range was PPM plain old 7 ch receiver. dunno if it matters. never any fail safe issues at 5.8 200 MW... the thing is he still needs a radio, preferably a 9c with a PPM out or module. so it isn't like he is buying something he isn't gonna use.

additionally, i have eagle tree with pressure altitude, stabilization and RTH, id rather run out of video and RTH then the other way around. if you're building up a system i think its the natural progression without buying stuff you wont need .. If i am missing something let me know.

I tried to order a Dragon link twice already and no luck, they have not returned e-mails and are usually out of stock... i will buy one, if they will sell me one.
- I use a 500mW 1280 VTx.
- I never made it beyond a mile with 72mhz, I'll never know why.
- I regret getting the Futaba 9c, I'm already out of channels. I should have gotten the Turnigy 9x.
- Dragon Links are back in stock now and shipping w/in 24 hours. Mike seems to have gotten caught up and he has been very responsive via the thread and PM. It was brutal there for a while.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:40 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Hi guys. The more I read, the more uncertain I become. Every question has three contradictory answers and leads to another thread a thousand pages long.

So ... HobbyKing 5.8g 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set - yes or no?

I fly 2.4GHz Spektrum gear and have no plans for taking this gear beyond 1/4 - 1/2 mile, LOS.
Definately a sounding yes. That's a good system, will not interfere with your radio and will bring you to the range you want.

Since it's 5.8Ghz, you should do something against the unavoidable reflections with the stock whip antennas. Get (or make yourself) a pair of cloverleaf and skew planar wheel antennas (there are threads here started by Alex - IBCrazy) on both subjects. For the range you are after, a home made antenna will definately do.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:49 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Hello,
I received all my gears yesterday (after 2 months of one backorder item)

Unfortunately I can not test my ibcrazy antennas. Because I bought SMA male cable and I need a femalle SMA. MAybe I can hack the antennas in the kit.

Is it a problem if I poweres the rx/tx with 2s lipo? I am using the 5.8ghz 200mw from hk
The camera is stated 12V (I do not know the model) but it seems working with 2s (I did not do a range test)
Even in 2s, the Rx becomes very hot!
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:00 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156 View Post
Hello,
I received all my gears yesterday (after 2 months of one backorder item)

Unfortunately I can not test my ibcrazy antennas. Because I bought SMA male cable and I need a femalle SMA. MAybe I can hack the antennas in the kit.
Nope, you need RP-SMA or else you order again the wrong things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156 View Post
Is it a problem if I poweres the rx/tx with 2s lipo? I am using the 5.8ghz 200mw from hk
The camera is stated 12V (I do not know the model) but it seems working with 2s (I did not do a range test)
Even in 2s, the Rx becomes very hot!
2s is good for the rx as it only uses a linear voltage regulator, and the less the voltage drop, the better. Feeding the camera at 2s will not hurt either. Internally it will run with either 5v, 3.3v or even less. That said, it uses either a DC/DC converter or a linear regulator and both of the two are likely to cope with your 2s input. The tx, there I'm sure, uses a DC/DC converter which happily copes with 2s.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:05 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
ok thanks for your support!
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
A low pass filter for Vtx or a high pass filter for Radio Tx ?
IMEIV is online now Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
I have a 433mhz low pass filter... will that suffice?
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES