SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
un plug your motor install an amp meter in series with the esc and actuate them all. if you want a dynamic scenario have someone hold the surface or tape them a BIT and actuate them.. it is very unlikely you will need a BEC in a bixler slow flyer has very little load on it. what you want is non binding servoes with end points properly set so current doesnt ramp up when they do bind. Analog servoes like hxt 900 dont pull enough to matter.

i used 6 on my Bixler with no problem at all with a 40 amp turnigy plush esc

i dont know who started all the "gotta have a BEC" but there are so many single points of failure i just dont buy it unless you have digital servoes and heavy loads such as a helicopter...too much voodoo out there.

additionally make sure you are using an ESC that meets your demands..perhaps too many people burn up their ESCs and loose their plane and get the ole " if you woulda had an BEC you coulda saved it".
++++1 on that!

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2011
572 Posts
Quote:
un plug your motor install an amp meter in series with the esc and actuate them all. if you want a dynamic scenario have someone hold the surface or tape them a BIT and actuate them.. it is very unlikely you will need a BEC in a bixler slow flyer has very little load on it. what you want is non binding servoes with end points properly set so current doesnt ramp up when they do bind. Analog servoes like hxt 900 dont pull enough to matter.

i used 6 on my Bixler with no problem at all with a 40 amp turnigy plush esc

i dont know who started all the "gotta have a BEC" but there are so many single points of failure i just dont buy it unless you have digital servoes and heavy loads such as a helicopter...too much voodoo out there.

additionally make sure you are using an ESC that meets your demands..perhaps too many people burn up their ESCs and loose their plane and get the ole " if you woulda had an BEC you coulda saved it".
We have the exact same setup... I too am running 6 servos on a Bixler and will not be using my Turnigy 40A esc. What motor and prop are you using? How many amps are you drawing? Can you please provide some more information on your setup?

Thank you
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:21 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Thats awesome! I have a bixler so we're pretty much flying the same platform.

1)So I I have a wiring diagram (shown in my post above), If I keep that the same and just another splitter to power the vtx/camera, will that work?

2) If the battery dies, will I still have enough reserve to power the servos AND the vtx?
It should work if you make a tri-splitter (I guess that's what it's called ) I've never ran my battery dry so I'm not sure of the answer to your 2nd question. I get about 30 minutes out of my SkySurfer with a 2200mah battery like yours. If you kept your flights around 20-25 minutes you are probably guaranteed to have no problems. Cheers
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Thats awesome! I have a bixler so we're pretty much flying the same platform.

1)So I I have a wiring diagram (shown in my post above), If I keep that the same and just another splitter to power the vtx/camera, will that work?

2) If the battery dies, will I still have enough reserve to power the servos AND the vtx?
ESC's motor cutoff should be either 9V or above, the rx is still powered, vtx would likely depend on what you are using.
I am using the popular 200mW 5.8GHx vtx sold on foxtech etc, on my bixler, and I have hit LVC several times, but still had rx/servo power and vtx/camera were still working fine.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
We have the exact same setup... I too am running 6 servos on a Bixler and will not be using my Turnigy 40A esc. What motor and prop are you using? How many amps are you drawing? Can you please provide some more information on your setup?

Thank you
mine was a rc timer 2212-6 http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...wt&goodsid=116 CAM-KX191 and a hobby king 200 mw vtx and rx with boscam goggles. i ran it with a 2 cell 5000 (anemic but flew forever) also tried 3 cell 2200, was great but i only had 2200 mah bats at the time so i went with a 4 cell 3300, used a linear regulator and eliminated the VTx battery.( some will say "oh they waste energy" not enough to matter very negligble) to feed my VTX and camera. worked beautifully. picture was improved with a separate vtx battery. but still negligble. i also had a capacitor and a ferrite BLOCK not ring, only because thats what radio shack had/ i used stock whips and regularly went out to a mile to 6000 feet . 7200 on a few occasions. after a mile my picture would be fuzy and have minor fades. RTH is a must. i also taped my vtx and camera wires with aluminum tape. dont know if it helped but did one without and it had miserable reception but had a different whip. i am still screwing around with the clover leaf builds simple because i dont think alex does rp sma.. if he does i would just buy two sets of spw and clover leafs. I was using the full eagle tree set up w/o pitot and pressure alt. Now i am building the clover and SPW but have a antenna tracker (eagle tree) and am wondering if i should change that set up to something else because it has antenna diversity.

it will pull nearly 40 amps on the 4 cell but i only launch at high throttle settings once it was up i eased around. 15-20 amps. 6x4 apc prop. now i have 3 cell 5000s and will use a seperate VTX/camera battery with KX6 camera . the 191 is big and heavy.but had a great picture. i am now building a fun cub with the camera on the bottom on a pan and tilt so 8 servoes with head tracking. i want to look straight down.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:43 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
I don't think anyone "started it," its just smart advice from those who have
seen their ESCs go and take their RC control with it. Adding a UBEC is not an
additional point of failure, it's more than one less. If an ESC already has a BEC
built into it and you switch to a UBEC you have not added any points of failure.
More so, you have decoupled a single system containing two parts that can fail
from each other and created a more stable and reliable system altogether. Why
would you ever want your motor and control surfaces running off of the same
system if you have a choice?

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat View Post
It should work if you make a tri-splitter (I guess that's what it's called ) I've never ran my battery dry so I'm not sure of the answer to your 2nd question. I get about 30 minutes out of my SkySurfer with a 2200mah battery like yours. If you kept your flights around 20-25 minutes you are probably guaranteed to have no problems. Cheers
WOW! 20-25 minutes would be awesome... I'm always bringing my plane down after 8-9 minutes because I don't wanna risk losing it. My amp draw is 23A at WOT so I'm not sure how long that would last me if I were to stay full throttle the whole time (which I obviously wouldn't be doing). I'm guessing you get good elevation and enjoy the view as you cut the throttle?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Feb 2011
572 Posts
Quote:
mine was a rc timer 2212-6 http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...wt&goodsid=116 CAM-KX191 and a hobby king 200 mw vtx and rx with boscam goggles. i ran it with a 2 cell 5000 (anemic but flew forever) also tried 3 cell 2200, was great but i only had 2200 mah bats at the time so i went with a 4 cell 3300, used a linear regulator and eliminated the VTx battery.( some will say "oh they waste energy" not enough to matter very negligble) to feed my VTX and camera. worked beautifully. picture was improved with a separate vtx battery. but still negligble. i also had a capacitor and a ferrite BLOCK not ring, only because thats what radio shack had/ i used stock whips and regularly went out to a mile to 6000 feet . 7200 on a few occasions. after a mile my picture would be fuzy and have minor fades. RTH is a must. i also taped my vtx and camera wires with aluminum tape. dont know if it helped but did one without and it had miserable reception but had a different whip. i am still screwing around with the clover leaf builds simple because i dont think alex does rp sma.. if he does i would just buy two sets of spw and clover leafs. I was using the full eagle tree set up w/o pitot and pressure alt. Now i am building the clover and SPW but have a antenna tracker (eagle tree) and am wondering if i should change that set up to something else because it has antenna diversity.

it will pull nearly 40 amps on the 4 cell but i only launch at high throttle settings once it was up i eased around. 15-20 amps. 6x4 apc prop. now i have 3 cell 5000s and will use a seperate VTX/camera battery with KX6 camera . the 191 is big and heavy.but had a great picture. i am now building a fun cub with the camera on the bottom on a pan and tilt so 8 servoes with head tracking. i want to look straight down.
Well, from experience, I can tell you that the CL/SPW will not disappoint you the least bit. I tried them for the first time on my plane last week and was blown away by the quality. The only minor bit of interference I got was directly above me... but even then, it was very minor.
I'm running the same motor as you are, but I got mine from HK and there it's called the 2826-2200kv. On a 6x5 prop I'm getting 270 watts with 23Amps drawn at WOT. My video gear is 1.2ghz 1500mw and haven't really tried for range beyond LOS. Keep us posted with the fun cub... would love to see pics
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Feb 2011
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
seen their ESCs go and take their RC control with it. Adding a UBEC is not an
additional point of failure, it's more than one less. If an ESC already has a BEC
built into it and you switch to a UBEC you have not added any points of failure.
More so, you have decoupled a single system containing two parts that can fail
from each other and created a more stable and reliable system altogether. Why
would you ever want your motor and control surfaces running off of the same
system if you have a choice?

-Blues
Yea, I'll have to agree here. When my plane went down only 200 feet away from me for no apparent reason, I was dumbfounded. Then, when I smelled the burning of the ESC and felt how hot it got... I knew that it just wasn't supposed to do that. With 6 servos, I doubt I'll be flying without a UBEC again.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
Adding a UBEC is not an
additional point of failure,

-Blues
i am gonna ask this then leave it alone because debates always end up making people mad and life is far too short for that.

so then its in parallel to the existing one in the ESC?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:17 AM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Would you sweat more if you did all the work by yourself, or if you split the job with someone else?
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signflyer View Post
Would you sweat more if you did all the work by yourself, or if you split the job with someone else?
Post 5847 pg. 390 shows one "person" doing all the work. unless you are referring to reducing the workload of the esc. in which case remove the bec and get a ESC capable of the job...
Last edited by wilem; Jul 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Hi I have a lawmate 1000mw Vtx with lawmate Vtxw,this is on 1.2ghz. Been running totally fine but since I bought a hobby wireless DRV and 6bd antennas I have started to get problems. Problem being I use a tv to watch video but since using said antennas and DVR I get video going really weird. I also use video splitters but the recorded video shows red and white line on recorded image but the main tv is clear as a bell. Does anyone know Wots going on? Do I need to run the DVR from AV out on the tele.
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:43 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,347 Posts
My guess is the splitters are causing an impedance mismatch. Remove the splitters and shorten you A/V cables as much as possible and see if the problem persists.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Thanks alex i will give it a try. They are standard lenght cable so will have to do alot of mods to them. Just annoying. I made a cable to use the AV out but that didnt work as AV out only works on playback not live feed. Bloody annoying if u ask me. Was wondering would a Eagle Tree ground station be any good as it has 3 outputs? If u could let me know that also would help coz im concidering getting one of them as i would like to get a tracker and a patch antenna at some point as i would like to get a bigger model or build one my self for long range?
if you could let me know ASAP coz im about to order one lol.
Thanks austin.
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws