Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:18 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Had my first FPV flight this morning.
I mainly flew LOS and had a friend tell me what was happening in the screen.

I am using a previously retired EasyStar as the airframe.
I made my own outrunner mount and swing a 9x5x3 prop on a 1100KV motor.
Use a old JR SX600 TX and R610UL RX for radio duties.
Am using a dual battery set up consisting of a 3S 2200 for the RX and a 3S 550 for the VTX.

All together my plane weight 32 ounces and will cruise at less than half throttle.

My ground station is a backpack style as I am using a Patch and also plan to hike to a few spots to fly.
I have a ReadyMadeRC 1.3 Receiver (2 channel) and a 8dbi Patch antenna.
Am using a Philips PD7012 7" LCD screen for display.

Want to thank Alex and Markus for putting up with us!
I have read every page of this thread and myself was getting miffed at all the same questions being asked but you both are some of the most cool headed smart people on here.

This is not my photo below but made a mount exactally like it.
I like your outrunner mount. I have to tell that the motor position and resulting short propeller, read bad efficiency of the power system used was the main reason to retier my own Easy Star. Maybe I will reactiveate and modify it too!

Thanks for the flowers btw.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:41 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Err, IMHO the 10mW FatShark transmitter is FCC aproved and could be used for the very purpose. I made range tests with my omnidirectional CL and SPW antennas and still had a good signal with this setup at 1km LOS. Thats IMHO enough for the purpose you describe. I also know that another vendor is shortly before hitting the market with another FCC aproved tx but I can't tell you more about it.

Markus
Markus,
But it is a 2.4 VTx...as you noted earlier, unusable, with 2.4 RC Tx's...Hopefully the FCC approved tx will be in the 5.8 band...that would be perfect.
Thanks again for your response.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,322 Posts
Quote:
I like your outrunner mount. I have to tell that the motor position and resulting short propeller, read bad efficiency of the power system used was the main reason to retier my own Easy Star. Maybe I will reactiveate and modify it too!

Thanks for the flowers btw.

Markus
Not really sure why everyone goes through the effort of modifying the motor mount so extremely. In my experience, such a thrust angle negates much of the easystar's gentle flying characteristics...
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:45 AM
Portugal, Porto District, Oporto
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
Thanks. My other fpv setup is in a skywalker airplane with an fy-31ap. In that I use a separate battery to power the vid tx and camera. However on the quad I'd like to keep weight down. I run both 3s and 4s packs. I need to supply 12V to the camera and the vidtx. Anyone recommend something that can provide clean 12V power?
Try using a http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Adjustabl...EPIC-Type.html

Also buy the recommend filter.
patatchim is offline Find More Posts by patatchim
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:51 AM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Is there a head tracking system I could use w/ MyVu Crystal goggles? would that be controlled by my QuadRino FC or the Vtx/RX?
I'm coming from a Foxtech 5.8ghz 200mw vrx/TX & fixed Gopro.
Would also need a pan/tilt gimbal & dedicated FPV cam.
Thanks!
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Markus,
But it is a 2.4 VTx...as you noted earlier, unusable, with 2.4 RC Tx's...Hopefully the FCC approved tx will be in the 5.8 band...that would be perfect.
Thanks again for your response.
I am under the impression that this guy here is FCC aproved.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=267

No?

Markus
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:17 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,340 Posts
Changing the antenna of an FCC part 15 transmitter from the one provided probably nullifies any intentional radiator approvals it might have had.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:20 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
I am under the impression that this guy here is FCC aproved.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=267

No?

Markus
Nope. Only the Iftron unit has a part 15 license...

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
555 Posts
Wiring Harness 101

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to make a wiring harness for my fpv unit but wanted to get some clarification before I proceed. I stripped the audio cable today and one wire already exposed and another which was insulated in white (as shown in the picture). What I'd like to know is which one do I use?

thanks
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:55 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
196 Posts
I think the white sheathed wire should be positive, the surrounding wire should be ground.
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Nope. Only the Iftron unit has a part 15 license...

-Alex
Thanks for clarifying this. It's CE aproved though which makes it legal in europe. Anyways, then the Iftron unit would solve the OP's problem then.

Markus
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:47 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Not really sure why everyone goes through the effort of modifying the motor mount so extremely. In my experience, such a thrust angle negates much of the easystar's gentle flying characteristics...
I only chose to make this big mount because I had ripped off the original 28mm mount. Something about high speed inverted pass.....still kind of foggy

This airframe was long ago retired and I needed a test bed for the FPV gear as I am completely new to this aspect of the hobby and didn't want to trash something else.

I believe the thrust angle is the same as stock but I will admit the Higher Verticle CG is a drawback.

Either way after this wreck serves its purpose all my FPV stuff is going on my Ritewing TL.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,322 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying this. It's CE aproved though which makes it legal in europe. Anyways, then the Iftron unit would solve the OP's problem then.

Markus
Indeed...and as noted earlier, even the lftron, I'm under the impression that if you change the antenna, you're required to have a HAM license...

Again, I know this is a legalese drill...and that we can always go for a HAM license or just operate without one...But that won't hack it with the AMA, FAA and FCC...
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Indeed...and as noted earlier, even the lftron, I'm under the impression that if you change the antenna, you're required to have a HAM license...

Again, I know this is a legalese drill...and that we can always go for a HAM license or just operate without one...But that won't hack it with the AMA, FAA and FCC...
In a strict sense you are right, however if the FCC would have to go after every WiFi router user using an altenrative antenna....

Besides, CP antennas you get from a respected source will much likely be more resonant at the frequency band than the stock whips resulting in adhering better to the FCC rules. The CL and SPW also do not increase gain over the stock whips so you truly should be ok here.

Markus
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
150 Posts
Hello
I need a 2.4 Ghz rx/tx system for my FPV flying. I was looking at the Turnigy 9x from
hobbyking. I need a cheap one for less than 70 bucks. Later on I will buy a better one.
I need one that has the range of 2 km ( if possible). I need a cheap one because im 13 and I cant work yet so I get my money from my dad.
Thanks
erick3150 is offline Find More Posts by erick3150