HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:10 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post
Do you tell that change only the name ?
Yes it is just the name, for marketing. Cloverleaf is part of the Blubeam set which includes 2 antennas. A cloverleaf and a skew planar wheel.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:44 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
My zephyr has a full ezOSD setup running on 4s batteries. Has anyone ever experienced an issue where any servo movement causes the OSD to "alarm"?

If I stop moving the right stick, the OSD is displayed again, but any input whatsoever causes it to blank out and say "Alarm" instead.

Thoughts?
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:17 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,398 Posts
Will a 2.4 RC wit Right Hand Polarized set of antennas "play well" with a 2.4 Video System with LEFT Hand Polarized set of antennas? Good enough to fly within the confines of a flying field?

Thanks!
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:33 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Yes it is just the name, for marketing. Cloverleaf is part of the Blubeam set which includes 2 antennas. A cloverleaf and a skew planar wheel.
Many thanks Iskess..
IMEIV is online now Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:41 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,295 Posts
Finally after months the first FPV flight is almost there...

Ironically after so much building, adapting, learning, programming, fitting, troubleshooting, and thinkin....

The final remaining part thats giving me lot of trouble is making the fatshark googles "watchable" and bearable to wear and not fog
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:51 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Will a 2.4 RC wit Right Hand Polarized set of antennas "play well" with a 2.4 Video System with LEFT Hand Polarized set of antennas? Good enough to fly within the confines of a flying field?

Thanks!
^^^This is a GREAT question!
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:17 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Finally after months the first FPV flight is almost there...

Ironically after so much building, adapting, learning, programming, fitting, troubleshooting, and thinkin....

The final remaining part thats giving me lot of trouble is making the fatshark googles "watchable" and bearable to wear and not fog
I'm behind you on the build curve, but I sweat, so I am probably not going to go with goggles. Hooded screen for me.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
248 Posts
Guys, I am using a 5.8g 200mw tx to transmit the video from the tracker to a screen 10" in the car.

Now go away about 2 meters between tx 5.8 with a cable from the tracker. I want to put the transmitter 5.8 inside the tracker 1.3g and orienting a mini-patch 12dbi with tx 5.8g towards my car.

Second you, the tx 5.8 200mw with patch 12dbi can reduce or interfere with 1.3g CP Helical 9.5dbi Rx tracker?
I want to do this to reduce cable odious.
giuseppe10091989 is offline Find More Posts by giuseppe10091989
Last edited by giuseppe10091989; Jul 04, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:21 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,825 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
In short, and to answer the core of your question, different polarisations do not allow to have two signals on the SAME freuquency.

A bit longer, you can use a 2.4Ghz video link alongside a 2.4Ghz RC link if the two signals are sufficiently frequency wise seperated (i.e. by using a video channel that is out of the regular 2.4Ghz band like 2.51Ghz). Still generally this is not recommended nor a good solution because the filters in todays RC hardware are not that great and your RC link range is very very likely to suffer. Wether you then have oposite orientation of the two signals or not does not change that much - especially not the almost certain quick saturation of the RC reciver on the plane.

The real problem with the 2.4Ghz video downlink is when other pilots join the show which is very very likely these days. First off they will disturb your video signal and secondly, rest very much assured that if only the slightest problem ocures with one of the radios of those other pilots (or even a pilot caused crash), they WILL hold you responsible. So, to be precise, for close proximity and you flying absolutely alone such a configuration might be doable, but in reality I never would try it for many reasons.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
I'm looking for a short/medium range 1 to 2 km fpv system for a quadcopter with GPS (naza). The control system is a hitec 2.4g system. Constraints will be video can't be located too far from gps so would prefer a band with the least interference. From the research I have done I am considering a Foxtech 5.8ghz 400mw vid tx system. I will also by the ibcrazy blue beam antennas to go with it. Is this setup a good choice or is there a better suggestion? My main concern is to reduce any possible gps interference.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
I'm looking for a short/medium range 1 to 2 km fpv system for a quadcopter with GPS (naza). The control system is a hitec 2.4g system. Constraints will be video can't be located too far from gps so would prefer a band with the least interference. From the research I have done I am considering a Foxtech 5.8ghz 400mw vid tx system. I will also by the ibcrazy blue beam antennas to go with it. Is this setup a good choice or is there a better suggestion? My main concern is to reduce any possible gps interference.
The 200mW tx will be sufficient. First hand experiance showes that the gain in range of the 400mW over the 200mW tx is very small.

Other than this your plan should work. The limitting factor will be your 2.4Ghz radio as they usually don't reach out to 2km with an on board video tx (no matter on which band as the electromagnetic field will stuff the rc rx input stage a bit and thus dampen the signal). 1km to 1.5km seems doable though.

Markus
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
The 200mW tx will be sufficient. First hand experiance showes that the gain in range of the 400mW over the 200mW tx is very small.

Other than this your plan should work. The limitting factor will be your 2.4Ghz radio as they usually don't reach out to 2km with an on board video tx (no matter on which band as the electromagnetic field will stuff the rc rx input stage a bit and thus dampen the signal). 1km to 1.5km seems doable though.

Markus
Thanks. My other fpv setup is in a skywalker airplane with an fy-31ap. In that I use a separate battery to power the vid tx and camera. However on the quad I'd like to keep weight down. I run both 3s and 4s packs. I need to supply 12V to the camera and the vidtx. Anyone recommend something that can provide clean 12V power?
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:46 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,269 Posts
Had my first FPV flight this morning.
I mainly flew LOS and had a friend tell me what was happening in the screen.

I am using a previously retired EasyStar as the airframe.
I made my own outrunner mount and swing a 9x5x3 prop on a 1100KV motor.
Use a old JR SX600 TX and R610UL RX for radio duties.
Am using a dual battery set up consisting of a 3S 2200 for the RX and a 3S 550 for the VTX.

All together my plane weight 32 ounces and will cruise at less than half throttle.

My ground station is a backpack style as I am using a Patch and also plan to hike to a few spots to fly.
I have a ReadyMadeRC 1.3 Receiver (2 channel) and a 8dbi Patch antenna.
Am using a Philips PD7012 7" LCD screen for display.

Want to thank Alex and Markus for putting up with us!
I have read every page of this thread and myself was getting miffed at all the same questions being asked but you both are some of the most cool headed smart people on here.

This is not my photo below but made a mount exactally like it.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:02 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
In short, and to answer the core of your question, different polarisations do not allow to have two signals on the SAME freuquency.

A bit longer, you can use a 2.4Ghz video link alongside a 2.4Ghz RC link if the two signals are sufficiently frequency wise seperated (i.e. by using a video channel that is out of the regular 2.4Ghz band like 2.51Ghz). Still generally this is not recommended nor a good solution because the filters in todays RC hardware are not that great and your RC link range is very very likely to suffer. Wether you then have oposite orientation of the two signals or not does not change that much - especially not the almost certain quick saturation of the RC reciver on the plane.

The real problem with the 2.4Ghz video downlink is when other pilots join the show which is very very likely these days. First off they will disturb your video signal and secondly, rest very much assured that if only the slightest problem ocures with one of the radios of those other pilots (or even a pilot caused crash), they WILL hold you responsible. So, to be precise, for close proximity and you flying absolutely alone such a configuration might be doable, but in reality I never would try it for many reasons.

HTH

Markus
Thanks!

I asked because, at least in my field, earning a HAM license, is a significant road block to wider acceptance of FPV...

Fully recognizing that getting a HAM license is not at all that hard, I think that for "club field" FPV flying, there should be "license free" equipment. This would significantly increase the numbers of folks willing to jump on the FPV band wagon...

Why aren't vendors developing FCC approved no license, low power 5.8 Ghz video transmitters? With recent developments in AT's and High gain directional antennas, surely a practical system could be constructed, just for flying around the club.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,825 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!

I asked because, at least in my field, earning a HAM license, is a significant road block to wider acceptance of FPV...

Fully recognizing that getting a HAM license is not at all that hard, I think that for "club field" FPV flying, there should be "license free" equipment. This would significantly increase the numbers of folks willing to jump on the FPV band wagon...

Why aren't vendors developing FCC approved no license, low power 5.8 Ghz video transmitters? With recent developments in AT's and High gain directional antennas, surely a practical system could be constructed, just for flying around the club.
Err, IMHO the 10mW FatShark transmitter is FCC aproved and could be used for the very purpose. I made range tests with my omnidirectional CL and SPW antennas and still had a good signal with this setup at 1km LOS. Thats IMHO enough for the purpose you describe. I also know that another vendor is shortly before hitting the market with another FCC aproved tx but I can't tell you more about it.

Markus