HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:18 AM
Registered User
wrath90210's Avatar
Joined May 2009
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
Guys, I have read with much interest some of this thread. I need to find a spare day to read the rest.

I have fatshark dominator 5.8ghz using the standard whip antenna. Very bad peformance at 50-100m and I'm looking at cp clover as a solution to the poor signals I fly next to the base of a mountain and I wonder if I get signal bounce back.

My question is . Should I have the antenna pointed down towards the ground or up in the air?

Looking for well made 5.8ghz cp antenna. Who sells good quality units?
readymaderc makes great antenna's for 5.8ghz. Just do some searching on their site. As for the whip antenna's keep them both pointed straight up, parallel to each other. The signal gets weak when your antenna's are close to perpendicular. Check out the first page of this thread and look for antenna polarization. Also some problems could be multipathing witch is well known on 5.8. The CP antennas are the best way to fix that.
wrath90210 is offline Find More Posts by wrath90210
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:24 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
Guys, I have read with much interest some of this thread. I need to find a spare day to read the rest.

I have fatshark dominator 5.8ghz using the standard whip antenna. Very bad peformance at 50-100m and I'm looking at cp clover as a solution to the poor signals I fly next to the base of a mountain and I wonder if I get signal bounce back.

My question is . Should I have the antenna pointed down towards the ground or up in the air?

Looking for well made 5.8ghz cp antenna. Who sells good quality units?
So long as the cloverleaf is vertical, it doesn't matter whether it is upright or upside down. What you want to buy is either a set of Blubeams or True Wired antennas. They both come as a set and are available at many FPV retailers. These should increase video quality and range by a huge margin.

Since you have the Dominators, you can check out www.futurehobbies.com and take a look at the 3 turn goggle mount helical if you want more range. Mind you this requires you to look in the general direction of the aircraft. You have a beam of 145 degrees, so it's pretty easy.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
Registered User
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
In regard to the tx antenna bein vertical, i had mine mounted horizontal and my rx vertical. Will thus cause issue? Because i want very happy with it... Havent tried to rig it up vertically yet. 900mhz is tough to work with on my quad lol
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:56 PM
Registered User
iCrap's Avatar
United States, MD
Joined May 2012
204 Posts
Is this a decent system?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=309
It looks like it comes with everything i need... $200 is really about as much as i want to spend on this, and i do want to use a separate battery incase i want to move it from my quadcopter to one of my planes i can do so easily. So, is this good, and can i get something better for around the same price / cheaper, or should i just go ahead with this?
Thanks.
iCrap is offline Find More Posts by iCrap
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
In regard to the tx antenna bein vertical, i had mine mounted horizontal and my rx vertical. Will thus cause issue? Because i want very happy with it... Havent tried to rig it up vertically yet. 900mhz is tough to work with on my quad lol
Laying one antenna on it's side while the other is upright is one of the worst things you can do for your video...

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap View Post
Is this a decent system?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=309
It looks like it comes with everything i need... $200 is really about as much as i want to spend on this, and i do want to use a separate battery incase i want to move it from my quadcopter to one of my planes i can do so easily. So, is this good, and can i get something better for around the same price / cheaper, or should i just go ahead with this?
Thanks.
That is OK at best. The camera is good during the day, but not so good in the afternoon. You will want to build yourself some circularly polarized antennas. Check my blog for the "Cloverleaf" antenna and the "skew-planar wheel" antenna. You will need to build a set of these if you want to get more than 150 feet. You can also build a "winmill" and a "Fan antenna" for similar results if straighter wire is easier for you.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:26 PM
Registered User
iCrap's Avatar
United States, MD
Joined May 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That is OK at best. The camera is good during the day, but not so good in the afternoon. You will want to build yourself some circularly polarized antennas. Check my blog for the "Cloverleaf" antenna and the "skew-planar wheel" antenna. You will need to build a set of these if you want to get more than 150 feet. You can also build a "winmill" and a "Fan antenna" for similar results if straighter wire is easier for you.

-Alex
Alright, i will look at the antennae design on your blog.
Now for the camera, what would you suggest? When you say it won't work in the afternoon what do you mean? Like lower framerate, or dark images? What parts do you suggest i should get, all while keeping it under $200 preferably.
Thanks!
iCrap is offline Find More Posts by iCrap
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
Registered User
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Lol, i fugured circular wouldnt mind either way.. Im off to sort it out, thanks alex
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:07 PM
Registered User
lipoflyer's Avatar
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
So long as the cloverleaf is vertical, it doesn't matter whether it is upright or upside down. What you want to buy is either a set of Blubeams or True Wired antennas. They both come as a set and are available at many FPV retailers. These should increase video quality and range by a huge margin.

Since you have the Dominators, you can check out www.futurehobbies.com and take a look at the 3 turn goggle mount helical if you want more range. Mind you this requires you to look in the general direction of the aircraft. You have a beam of 145 degrees, so it's pretty easy.

-Alex
Is this what you were referring to.
http://www.futurehobbies.com/product...lical-9-5-dbic
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
^That's not the goggle mount, but it's a similar antenna. I guess Wade hasn't updated his website with the new stock yet. The goggle mount has a stiffer cable and has a right angle plug on the end.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Lol, i fugured circular wouldnt mind either way.. Im off to sort it out, thanks alex
Radiation pattern my friend Polarization is only part of the picture.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:39 PM
My tapeworm tells me what todo
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2007
260 Posts
Starting to get my 5.8 stiff in order for summer flying.
Ready to buy a few cameras. I here the 600TVL is the way to go.
I see so many options on that cam......
Could I get a few links to the perfered places to order?
Thanks.
tconners is offline Find More Posts by tconners
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:55 AM
FPV'r
ror1's Avatar
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconners View Post
Starting to get my 5.8 stiff in order for summer flying.
Ready to buy a few cameras. I here the 600TVL is the way to go.
I see so many options on that cam......
Could I get a few links to the perfered places to order?
Thanks.
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdqsClsJyUU&feature=plcp
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
FPV in Hawaii
iskess's Avatar
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,302 Posts
I have that camera. Its great. The setup menus are daunting.
Here is a tutorial that really helped:
Settings for SC2000 600TVL OSD camera (PZ0420) (1 min 36 sec)
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:54 PM
My tapeworm tells me what todo
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2007
260 Posts
Thanks guys.
I have some ESC noise I need help with as well "LC filter already in place" but I need to take a few pics and submit my issue properly.

Oh wasnt there talk of a case for it as well?
tconners is offline Find More Posts by tconners
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Talk 11 Dec 30, 2011 07:22 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 06:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 08:56 PM
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 8 Sep 12, 2010 07:12 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 2 May 11, 2009 07:41 PM