HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,620 Posts
This has been pretty much hashed out there: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580622
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:46 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,333 Posts
Do it for fun, and afterwards, let the footage be discovered and bought?

Seriously, I wouldn't do it. A lot of liability if something goes wrong. I don't recommend FPV over people, or even property you're not prepared to repair or replace.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Well technically your helicopter isn't a UAV since it isn't unmanned. As long as you are in control the whole time you technically aren't a UAV are you?
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
This has been pretty much hashed out there: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580622
Yes, it's so old it's probably not even true any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat View Post
Well technically your helicopter isn't a UAV since it isn't unmanned. As long as you are in control the whole time you technically aren't a UAV are you?
That is the type of technicality that the FAA isn't interested in. I think this site is mostly about FPV for hobby usage. As long as you are doing that, you are comfortably in the grey area
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:58 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
633 Posts
Thanks Guys, just found out the idea has been scrapped. They dont want to deal with it anymore. I really appreciate the responses though.

Best Regards,
swartzracing is online now Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:13 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
guys what's the best FOV for the fpv camera?
redblur is offline Find More Posts by redblur
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:23 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redblur View Post
I think that's covered in the first post, section on video system, starting at about 2:31.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:29 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redblur View Post
Personal preference. Buy a couple different lenses and try them out. They are dirt cheap, securitycamera2000 sells a 2 pack for $5.
I thought 2.8 was too fisheye for me, I like 3.6
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:02 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
hey all,
I have been using the sky-rf 200mW 5.8GHz vtx/rx for my bixler, I am getting a RC buggy just for a bit of fun, and am wondering how my FPV gear would go on it?
How do you think 5.8GHz would go on the ground? With CP antennas of course. I am guessing much much shorter distances, and a lot of interference, but with something on the ground, if the video goes bad, all I would have to do is release the throttle
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:31 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Ground reflections and Fresnel zone are going to be your biggest issues. You want the RX antenna up high in the air. If you can use a 3 turn helical on the RX, this will help. Since the ground is never flat, you want your TX antenna as high up as possible while leaving it protected in the event of a rollover.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:31 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I prefer my head trackng pan and tilt to operate more fluidlly. I use digital programmable servos and I deliberately slow there movement and restrict angles.

I run speeds at 20% and angles only to 90 degrees so it appears more natural and less robotic when I view through my goggles
Which servos do you use? Why restrict angle to 90 degrees, you mean only 45 per side?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, MD
Joined May 2012
199 Posts
Can anyone reccomend a good system for a beginner? I would be using this on my quadcopter.
Thanks.
iCrap is offline Find More Posts by iCrap
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:44 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
There are many ready to go start up systems available from many of the FPV vendors in the "What to buy for video piloting" thread. Watch the videos on the first post. From here you should have a good idea what you need. Words like "good", "Best", and "Better" are strictly situational. Only you can decide what is best for you.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:45 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Guys, I have read with much interest some of this thread. I need to find a spare day to read the rest.

I have fatshark dominator 5.8ghz using the standard whip antenna. Very bad peformance at 50-100m and I'm looking at cp clover as a solution to the poor signals I fly next to the base of a mountain and I wonder if I get signal bounce back.

My question is . Should I have the antenna pointed down towards the ground or up in the air?

Looking for well made 5.8ghz cp antenna. Who sells good quality units?
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined May 2009
135 Posts
Hey guys. Took my tricopter down the beach on vacation with me. Had a blast flying it down here. The gopro footage is good, and dragonlink is awesome but. I've run into a snag. I never had this problem before the trip. When I spool up the motors I get rolling lines through the video and farther out the picture goes black and white. I thought of maybe using an LC Filter but I never needed one before. I'm using circularly polarized antennas so it shouldn't be multipathing too much. Could the saltwater or humidity affect the performance at all? I'll try a different channel later and see how that works.
Thanks guys!
wrath90210 is offline Find More Posts by wrath90210