HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Hey guys,

Just wondering, what kinda run time should I expect from a 11.1V 3s 1000 mah battery powering a 1.2ghz 1000mw Vtx?

Thanks
About 90 minutes maximum. Every Lawmate I tested pulls ~700mA current.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:35 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Volto has suggested that a circularly polarized antenna set will greatly increase 2.4GHz radio range. Mind you, I just watched a video of him having a lock-out and crash 1.5 miles out, so it's not a cure-all, but he has reported significant range increases.

The simplest way to get 2.4GHz to go farther is to open up the controller and disconnect the antenna cable from the IPX socket and run a new jumper to a 9dbi Yagi. Also be certain your 2.4GHz RX antenna is upright as well as your Yagi.

-Alex
Wouldn't you need to point the Yagi at the plane since its highly directional? Why do you say the Yagi should be upright?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,013 Posts
the 'tongs' should be vertical on the Yagi if the antenna on the plane is vertical. If the tongs are flat and the ones on the plane vertical, then dB gain will be drastically reduced.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,234 Posts
Oh I see what he meant, sorry if that was obvious.
Still, it seems like it would be difficult to keep the Yagi pointed directly at the plane while under the hood.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
733 Posts
True, you want identical, preferably vertical polarisation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz...9#Polarization

Example with 2 fixed transmitters, one vertical and one horizontal polarized:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGv0F_FH7oM

Indeed, you'll need to point the Yagi (or any other directional antenna) properly. At very close range where your signal is strong enough it doesn't matter that much.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,022 Posts
Guys, I have 2 of these cameras
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-OSD-Menu.html
with default settings the image is washed out over bright. I have read the manual but dont understand what adjustments to make. Can someone tell me what to do to set them up properly.
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,013 Posts
could try turning down the brightness. Mine were the opposite - came with brightness set too low, looked very dark.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:51 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Oh I see what he meant, sorry if that was obvious.
Still, it seems like it would be difficult to keep the Yagi pointed directly at the plane while under the hood.
in FPV there are two approaches to using directional antennas to fly far:

1/ map out where you intend to fly to and figure out the approximate beam spread of your Rx antennae. Then be careful to fly within that spread, especially when far out. Can use GPS waypoints to help with this.
- you can do some hand adjustment of your antenna even when under the hood, say by turning the handle on a tripod. I have done that once or twice. Some guys actually put the antenna on their head and turn their head or body tune the antenna - I have done that also.
- when flying over a small defined space, in a square field, say, you set up your ground station in one corner, and use 1 or 2 directional antennae such that they cover the whole field within their higher dB spread

2/ use an automatic tracking system
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
If you switch JUST the receiver antenna from a rubber ducky to a vee style antenna will that increase range? This isn't for FPV but my home wifi which uses 2.4Ghz like some of the FPV equipment.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
True, you want identical, preferably vertical polarisation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz...9#Polarization

Example with 2 fixed transmitters, one vertical and one horizontal polarized:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGv0F_FH7oM

Indeed, you'll need to point the Yagi (or any other directional antenna) properly. At very close range where your signal is strong enough it doesn't matter that much.

Martin
Very cool video. I need to buy a spetrum analyzer...
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:11 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
733 Posts
Wettfeat, yes it will increase range, but just a bit. I guess will all the reflections you're better off with CP. Or you could use a patch on the pc. What do you mean with "receiver" anyway? With wifi both ends are sender and receiver. A stock whip's performance can be improved if placed farther away from objects (e.g. higher) using a piece of coax.

Martin
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Wettfeat, yes it will increase range, but just a bit. I guess will all the reflections you're better off with CP. Or you could use a patch on the pc. What do you mean with "receiver" anyway? With wifi both ends are sender and receiver. A stock whip's performance can be improved if placed farther away from objects (e.g. higher) using a piece of coax.

Martin
I was thinking about my range extender sorry. One antenna receives/transmits to the router and another receives/transmits to the computer wifi antenna.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:50 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
733 Posts
Ok, then we better speak of 'client' and 'server'. It's just as simple as putting directional antennas on fixed directions. So if you have just one router-client, i.e. the range extender, then you can put directional antennas on both ends. Same story for extender-client, i.e. your computer.

It is obvious that with multiple clients around one server the clients could use a directional antenna while the server cannot.

I guess the two range extender antennas are just part of the diversity system. So beaming one or both differently should work. But in principle both antennas are 'seeing' the router as well as the computer at the same time.

(sorry for being a bit OT)
Martin
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Ok, then we better speak of 'client' and 'server'. It's just as simple as putting directional antennas on fixed directions. So if you have just one router-client, i.e. the range extender, then you can put directional antennas on both ends. Same story for extender-client, i.e. your computer.

It is obvious that with multiple clients around one server the clients could use a directional antenna while the server cannot.

I guess the two range extender antennas are just part of the diversity system. So beaming one or both differently should work. But in principle both antennas are 'seeing' the router as well as the computer at the same time.

(sorry for being a bit OT)
Martin
Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:23 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
637 Posts
Using heli/multirotor for commercial photography question

Hey Guys I have a question concerning using a heli/multirotor for doing a commercial photo shoot.

A big company that I work for is doing an event in downtown LA and need to do some aerial video. They proposed to use a RC Heli to do it and this is what we came up with.

The use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), such as a Remote-Controlled Helicopter, is not allowed by the FAA for commercial operations. These can be flown in US public airspace for recreational purposes but are strictly prohibited for “Commercial” Operations. Here is the bottom line as we know it today:

1) The ABC Studios made a significant run at this last summer attempting to get approval from the FAA to use a couple of small helicopters on a TV series being filmed in Hawaii. They were not successful even though several Disney Government Relations Executives and representatives from the Motion Picture Association of America met with the FAA in Washington. The bottom line is that the FAA does not currently allow use of UAVs for “Commercial” operations. They can be legally flown by Hobbyists for “Recreational” purposes only under AC 91-57, however, commercial applications are specifically excluded.

2) The California Film commission and the AMPTP issued alerts in 2011 that UAVs cannot be used for TV or movie production.

3) The City of Los Angeles has issued a warning to stop all commercial flights of UAVs.

4) A new federal law signed into effect earlier this year will compel the FAA to develop rules for commercial use of UAVs but these rules will potentially not be in effect until as late as 2015.

Is there any loopholes that would allow the use of an RC Heli/Multirotor to get this shoot done?

Thanks in advance for your guy's feedback.

Best Regards,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys