SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:02 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
I havent plowed through all this thread yet, but the DX6i recommendations have me a bit concerned regarding my DX8. I'm thinking of a heli based FPV setup, and since I'm assuming the DX8 is using the same transmission protocol as the DX6i...does that fall into the not so recommended area?
I thought the DX8 uses the new frequency hooping protocol instead of picking just 2 frequencies like the dx6i?

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:10 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark View Post
Is it possible to take rssi signal from AR7000 and R921?
This should work.

http://www.flytron.com/57-rssi-conve...receivers.html

Jorn
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:40 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post
Yeah it should, but it wont, I have one and it never worked, never got refunded and they have been out of stock since the first release (about 6 months) because they don't work.

Mark
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:44 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
I thought the DX8 uses the new frequency hooping protocol instead of picking just 2 frequencies like the dx6i?

Mark
I dunno...I know there is the new version...gotta read up what exactly that is. I have my DX8 on DSM2 for everything right now though
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:06 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
Yeah it should, but it wont, I have one and it never worked, never got refunded and they have been out of stock since the first release (about 6 months) because they don't work.

Mark
Mark
I know, i got this mail from EagleTree this morning:
We have not tested the unit you linked, unfortunately. We also understand that the manufacturer of the unit has discontinued production because of compatibility issues with different Spektrum receiver models but can't be sure of this.

Jorn
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
Hey guys! I'm a total noob at fpv... Please help me out!
I have just gotten a system. I bought it else where, but tracked down LATER where the parts were originally supplied. I found out that I overpaid, naturally. I've been having a couple of issues... These are the stuff I'm using:

TX: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/tx5823-200...ers-p-272.html
RX: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...ver-p-181.html
CAMERA: Sony Bloggie
GOGGLES: Myvu Crystal 701
Antennae (both RX and TX): Omni 6db

I'm not getting ANY image. Just some heavy static when I move the antennae close to each other...
I HAVE confirmed that the goggles work. I plugged them directly to the cable box, and it has audio and video with the RCA plugs I made. I even tested with the RX connected directly to the television. Video out on the bloggie works fine: I plugged it directly into the tv, and I get image.
According to the datasheets, the channels from the TX corresponds to the channels to the RX.
I have NEVER turned on the tx without the antenna.
I have checked a dozen times that the polarity of the battery to the tx is right, as well as the wiring of the audio, video, and ground ports on the tx. On the RX, there isn't really room for screw up.

What could be wrong??? Please help!
kevinlei324 is offline Find More Posts by kevinlei324
Old Apr 18, 2011, 02:43 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
155 Posts
Picture of setup please?
Foskje is offline Find More Posts by Foskje
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:05 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlei324 View Post
I have just gotten a system. I bought it else where, but tracked down LATER where the parts were originally supplied. I found out that I overpaid, naturally. I've been having a couple of issues... These are the stuff I'm using:

I'm not getting ANY image. Just some heavy static when I move the antennae close to each other...
I HAVE confirmed that the goggles work. I plugged them directly to the cable box, and it has audio and video with the RCA plugs I made. I even tested with the RX connected directly to the television. Video out on the bloggie works fine: I plugged it directly into the tv, and I get image.
According to the datasheets, the channels from the TX corresponds to the channels to the RX.
I have checked a dozen times that the polarity of the battery to the tx is right, as well as the wiring of the audio, video, and ground ports on the tx. On the RX, there isn't really room for screw up.

I dont have a great deal of experience with this either, but 3 things got me going...

~ a mismatch of my chinese gear had all the dip switch channel selections opposite from Rx to Tx, I discovered this through trial and error- and desperation

~ make sure all the earths are in continuity

~ and the one thing that had me stumped for the longest time... the standard 5 pin Tx plug was faulty!
I didnt need audio (mic is built onto my TX), so i used yellow/red/black and removed the other 2 wires, and used a servo type connector- works perfect, but I hot glued to make sure it doesnt vibrate out.

Also, if you are using an osd, be very careful of the red +ve / black -ve... the chinese made Tx's have the -ve on the outside, where-as on my EzOSD the +ve is on the outside... trap for the unweary, and I would've fried my osd if ChancesAU didnt tip me off
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
Hi guys I'm interested in which windows or linux software would be best for recording and at the same time watching (or just watching since my camera will record the video)? So that it wouldn't be too hard on the laptop,..My laptop Dell Inspiron 1720 core2duo 2.2ghz, graphics card geforce 8600gt 256mb...its not that good hope it'll be enough.
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foskje View Post
Picture of setup please?
Name: IMG_1177.jpg
Views: 149
Size: 269.7 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1178.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 263.3 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1179.jpg
Views: 147
Size: 249.9 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1180.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 136.9 KB
Description:

On the TX pictures, I laid the wires down as flat as I could.

On the AV cable from the camera to the TX, the BLACK wire is ground, RED is audio, and WHITE is video. I have triple checked this like I have OCD.

On the channel side of the TX, I twisted the channel three wire, and ground together. The picture of the RX with the switches is the channel I set it to be.

I applied some hot glue to the battery leads on the TX because I was afraid I would snap them right off if I tugged too hard. And I taped the antenna cable to the battery leads because I was afraid that too much movement would make the joints loose.

Of course, I only ran this setup with the antennae attached. I excluded them because they were much too long. I twisted the antennae in until It wont turn anymore.

I have tried connecting the AV composite cable from the camera to the TV, and I get video. When I plug the RX into the TV and with the TX on, I always get NO SIGNAL.

Looking at the datasheets, I HAVE verified that the channels on the tx is same as the channels on the rx. In the images shown of the tx, the combination of the wire to ground is channel 5. The switch combination shown on the rx also indicates channel 5 of the rx.

When I first ran this setup, I DID find out that on the composite cable to the tx, I had swapped the video and audio signal wires. I fixed this after my first check.

The datasheet for the TX and RX can be found on the sites I posted originally...:

Thanks guys!
kevinlei324 is offline Find More Posts by kevinlei324
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
kevinlei324 off topic question, where did you buy those glasses?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:11 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlei324 View Post

I had a similar issue with their 2.4ghz gear, the channels did not correspond to the switch positions that their website showed so I flicked through the switch positions till the picture came on.

Mark
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
How big 3S lipo do I need to power the receiver (1.3ghz)...how big do you use?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:08 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
How big 3S lipo do I need to power the receiver (1.3ghz)...how big do you use?
I recall that the standard receivers draw on the order of 500ma. If this is correct, then a 500mah 3 cell lipo would run it for an hour. Twice as big (1000mah) will run twice as long, etc. I would say that if you use 3 cell lipos for your airplanes, just use one of those for your FPV receiver. Other than that, you can get good deals on 2200mah 3 cell lipos from hobbyking.com. $11 shipped is a good price to hunt for (eBay and HobbyKing).

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:27 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Hi guys I'm interested in which windows or linux software would be best for recording and at the same time watching (or just watching since my camera will record the video)? So that it wouldn't be too hard on the laptop,..My laptop Dell Inspiron 1720 core2duo 2.2ghz, graphics card geforce 8600gt 256mb...its not that good hope it'll be enough.
I bought an EasyCap which came with Windows (XP) software that works fine. My laptop triple boots (Ubuntu Linux, WinXP, and Win7) and I use Ubuntu exclusively, except when doing FPV. Then I use WinXP and the software that came with the EasyCap.

I don't know off hand of Linux software that captures, compresses, and views all in real time. You could probably paste some combination of mplayer, mencoder and or ffmpeg together with a shell script that would do what you want, but that alone would take me a couple days to research, so I use the XP stuff.

To some other points: Real time image compression is a compromise between:
- how fast your CPU is
- how small you shrink the 720x480 (or 640x480) down to (like to 320x240)
- how perfectly you compress it (full detail in playback)
- how small the video file is
- how fast your hard drive is

You WILL be running your CPU very hard to do real time compression and real time viewing of the video feed. You actually want to run at least one 2.0ghz core at 100% to get the best video you can get (clearest, biggest video resolution, and smallest file all at the same time).

I recommend using the MPEG2 codec (I think I use 6000 for the data rate) because it gives the best picture with the least CPU usage. The down side is that the video files are big, but you can re-compress them later (the "handbrake" program under Linux is GREAT).

At one time I had a 1.6ghz (1.8?) single core 32-bit laptop (with 512 meg?) and it was the bare minimum for 720x640 recording (without reducing to 320x240) and simultaneous playback. The best results were with the mpeg2 codec.

I hope that 256mb you quote is for the video card only. If it is, you have a plenty good laptop for FPV recording and simultaneous watching.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; Apr 19, 2011 at 05:33 PM.