HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
915 Posts
What do you guys think of the 56" maxi Swift Wing I'm building, to use as FPV, vs something like the Sky Walker, and Easy Star ?

I want the most stable platform, as Florida tends to be very Windy allot of the year

Right now I'm building a Maxi Swift wing that I was going to use for night flying, and FPV
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:31 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
A Maxi swift is a great FPV airplane. Better than a SkyWalker or EZ* IMHO.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
A Maxi swift is a great FPV airplane. Better than a SkyWalker or EZ* IMHO.

-Alex
man, you just saved the day

I stressing out enough about epquipment, that I'm not even 100% sure what to buy, and was thinking the Maxi wouldn't be a good FPV wing

I really didnt want to have to spend another few hundred dollars setting up another plane , when I'm all ready building the Maxi Swift and ordered all the motor/esc, etc, for FPV flying

Awsome news, I'm going to stop looking at planes now, and focus back on equipment
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:36 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Post your equipment and I'll respond with your shopping list. It'll be cheap, too.

-Alex
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Post your equipment and I'll respond with your shopping list. It'll be cheap, too.

-Alex
Alex, I saw your post on other forms, I think FPV LAB, and If I remember your a supplier for readymaderc?

Anyhow, I'm thinking of putting my first FPV order together here from ready made

Here's what I'm thinking, suggestions welcome:

Custom Goggles 5.8ghz FPV Package : ( Not in Stock ) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=781

I use a Spectrum DX7S

Antenna : Blue beam whip
Camera: RMRC 700XV ( out of stock )
Immersion 600mW or Fat shark 100 mW? I was thinking the 600mW ? ( out of stock )
Goggles : Fat Shark Dominator's + $49.00 ( out of Stock ) Was also looking into Fox-tech goggles for $399.99, and has 2.4 & 5.8ghz with Head Tracker, when you add up the Dominator's and all the parts, the price comes out to the same, not sure which of the two is better goggles, and compatibility issues using DX7S

OSD : Possibly Eagle Tree down the road

Or maybe a FY-21AP auto pilot?

Also like to order a GPS sensor, and battery voltage

Go Pro for HD recording

Plane is a Maxi Swift Delta Wing 56", and If I don't like it down the road, possibly a Sky Walker from the reviews

Thanks for everyones help!

I ready to spend some money here, and ready-made don't have it in stock

Also need to get my Hamm Liscence
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:18 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
I'm sorry Colonel, but the fact that it worked once isn't enough to be 100% sure. In the past I've had a composite cable where one of the ground leads was disconnected. But the video worked because the audio leads were connected, so video used one of the audio-grounds.

Long story short, in case you didn't try this already:
- connect your wii video connector, but not the two audio connectors!
- confirm that it works
- now disconnect the wii and connect your camera

Martin
Well, this morning I checked the TV inputs by playing a portable DVD player via some home made leads. Positive result!

I then used the same leads to play the DVD into my (newly arrived) Sunsky Vtx, and was significantly relieved to find that not only did the Vtx/Vrx work fine (my BIG fear!) but that I was still getting a good signal 2 rooms away without LOS between the (stock) antennas. Got a bit snowy if I stuck my not inconsiderable bulk in between, but still viewable. Phew!

I'll stick some RCAs directly onto the cam wires & my (homemade) microphone to do a final check, but I'm less worried about those than the actual vtx/vrx. Also I've already got one of Alex's recommended cams on its way from SecurityCamera2000 which hopefully will complete the kit.

Thanks for the help, guys!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Mar 08, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:20 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,361 Posts
TwinStar Antenna advice

Hello Alex,
Thank you for all that you do. Could you advise me about the best antenna position for the TwinStar II? I purchased a 1280Mhz system. I have gathered that I will either go with the Inverted Vee and your DIY Cantenna or Patch. Or I will go with your Bluebeam combo.
1) If I go with the Vee, should I try to mount it along the side of the nose, high enough off the "waterline" so it doesn't snag on landing? In this case it will be laying alongside the main battery separated by only the foam sidewall, but the prongs of the antenna will stick out beyond the battery.
Another option it to mount the Vee high on the vertical stab. But then the forward beam could be blocked by all the batteries and electronics.

2) If I go with the Cloverleaf should I mount it high on top of the Vertical Stab, or on the rear of the canopy? I am dealing with a pretty large draggy appendage, which is a downside, but the response to these antennas seem to warrant that. I also need to consider how to protect it from damage.
I know the best location is under a wing, but that not great on the Twinstar since it has no landing gear, and I need to be able to easily remove the wings.

Here is a YouTube range test that compares the different combinations:
Video Antenna Testing (3 min 24 sec)

I was suprised to see that the Vee+Patch did much better in both range and rotational attitudes than the Bluebeam combo. Perhaps if the test was performed at a shorter range the Bluebeam would have provided a better image. I am really confused about this! I keep bouncing back and forth between the antenna options.

Thank you for any help.

Iam
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:14 AM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,272 Posts
does anyone here know how I can convert my ac video goggles into a battery operated set of goggles? the power supply has an output of 9v 1.33A, but I dont know how to make a voltage regulator.
kicekilla is offline Find More Posts by kicekilla
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:38 AM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicekilla View Post
does anyone here know how I can convert my ac video goggles into a battery operated set of goggles? the power supply has an output of 9v 1.33A, but I dont know how to make a voltage regulator.
I think one of these regulators would work
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/84

I have never flown a flying wing. Wouldnt a Maxi swift be fast and pitch sensitive? I find my Bixler plenty fast...to the point a good cruse is half throttle or less. Slow I supose is more affected by windy conditions so would a Maxi swift be more tolerant of wind?
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:41 AM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
203 Posts
Thanks for the ham info BCSalt.

Now i'm really stuck here guys.
All the research i've done says to fear Spektrum. I currently have 600mw 5.8 vtx and DX6i, but haven't maidened it yet.. just tested in my workshop.

I just plan on parkflying (less than 400m distance) while i get used to video piloting, but all the spektrum fear mongering is really taking its toll on my nerves Re: first flight.

From what I gather, my options are:
-Go 72mhz, (i.e. Futaba 9c tx and Corona RP8D1 rx's) = probably around 200 or $250, also, everyone loves the range, but isn't 72 susceptible to interferences from other 72mhz transmissions? UHF better?
-wifi booster mod for my already owned DX6i = about $50 + modding time. success may vary?
-Go UHF (Can i do this with my DX6i? Do i even want to?) = $200? also, i'm not sure about the complexities involved here...are these easy to set up or am I in for a complicated ordeal?

Honestly, I just want to go fly i'm tired of sweating this stuff and i'm already pretty well invested in this.. but I don't want to lose my bird all because I risked it (sounds like a serious risk) with my dx6i.

Has ANYONE had success with their dx6i+5.8mw combo within 800m range? At what point do I stop throwing money at the problems and just enjoy the game?

Thanks.
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Last edited by chicken sashimi; Mar 08, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Apr 2011
153 Posts
I've got a 100mw 5.8mw vtx and using my dx8 I got 500 meters with crystal clear image and no control problems at all. This was all done in an urban area so there would of been wifi networks all over the place. I wouldn't risk going any further than that on my dx8 and probably upgrading to a UHF system soon
a.marks is offline Find More Posts by a.marks
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:29 AM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukmil View Post
I think one of these regulators would work
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/84
could I use the 9v cc bec?
how exact do you think I need to be with the voltage and current? like would 9v and 1A (instead of 1.33A) work?
kicekilla is offline Find More Posts by kicekilla
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:43 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
Alex, I saw your post on other forms, I think FPV LAB, and If I remember your a supplier for readymaderc?

Anyhow, I'm thinking of putting my first FPV order together here from ready made

Here's what I'm thinking, suggestions welcome:

Custom Goggles 5.8ghz FPV Package : ( Not in Stock ) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=781

I use a Spectrum DX7S

Antenna : Blue beam whip
Camera: RMRC 700XV ( out of stock )
Immersion 600mW or Fat shark 100 mW? I was thinking the 600mW ? ( out of stock )
Goggles : Fat Shark Dominator's + $49.00 ( out of Stock ) Was also looking into Fox-tech goggles for $399.99, and has 2.4 & 5.8ghz with Head Tracker, when you add up the Dominator's and all the parts, the price comes out to the same, not sure which of the two is better goggles, and compatibility issues using DX7S

OSD : Possibly Eagle Tree down the road

Or maybe a FY-21AP auto pilot?

Also like to order a GPS sensor, and battery voltage

Go Pro for HD recording
Forget this stuff for now.

Plane is a Maxi Swift Delta Wing 56", and If I don't like it down the road, possibly a Sky Walker from the reviews

Thanks for everyones help!

I ready to spend some money here, and ready-made don't have it in stock

Also need to get my Hamm Liscence
Ok, let me first start by saving you some headache:

- Starter package for 5.8GHz with Dominator goggles, 5.8GHz RX and 100mW FatShark.
- Any camera RMRC sells. (I like the 600XV, peronally)

That's it. Done.

You will not find any vendor with everything in stock. Don't even try. Just back order and wait for it. The vendors get stocked daily. By the time you wait for one thing to be back in stock, something else is now out.

-Alex
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Hello Alex,
Thank you for all that you do. Could you advise me about the best antenna position for the TwinStar II? I purchased a 1280Mhz system. I have gathered that I will either go with the Inverted Vee and your DIY Cantenna or Patch. Or I will go with your Bluebeam combo.
1) If I go with the Vee, should I try to mount it along the side of the nose, high enough off the "waterline" so it doesn't snag on landing? In this case it will be laying alongside the main battery separated by only the foam sidewall, but the prongs of the antenna will stick out beyond the battery.
Another option it to mount the Vee high on the vertical stab. But then the forward beam could be blocked by all the batteries and electronics.

2) If I go with the Cloverleaf should I mount it high on top of the Vertical Stab, or on the rear of the canopy? I am dealing with a pretty large draggy appendage, which is a downside, but the response to these antennas seem to warrant that. I also need to consider how to protect it from damage.
I know the best location is under a wing, but that not great on the Twinstar since it has no landing gear, and I need to be able to easily remove the wings.

Here is a YouTube range test that compares the different combinations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3vwgz1paVo
I was suprised to see that the Vee+Patch did much better in both range and rotational attitudes than the Bluebeam combo. Perhaps if the test was performed at a shorter range the Bluebeam would have provided a better image. I am really confused about this! I keep bouncing back and forth between the antenna options.

Thank you for any help.

Iam
The Vee/patch has 8db more gain than a BluBeam combination. Comparing the two is like comparing a pick-up truck to a tractor trailer. If you want an accurate comparision, go with a cloverleaf/Crosshair or a cloverleaf/helical combination and compare to the Vee/patch as these will have similar gain numbers.

Also, I am guessing you have no tuning equipment. You antennas are hand made, so errors in construction could be providing a less than proper match (although they do look pretty good). I ususally state that the BluBeams are good for 1-2 miles in any direction. You are testing at 3 miles which is outside the usable range of the antenna system.

You need to select your antennas by what goals you intend to achieve. You want distance, go with a Vee/patch or cloverleaf/helical. If you want to fly around yourself without worrying about aiming your antenna, use the cloverleaf/skew wheel combination.

-Alex
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
transmitter

Hello all!

I started to read this very informative thread and I am now on page 102. It is quite hard. I am used to fly 2.4 ghz but for this part of the hobby I want to use 72 mhz because it is better in the environment I will be flying. Because I don't want to buy everything at the same time I will start with the transmitter for RC. In the near future I will take the exam to get HAM license. But now about the transmitter: I am just to fly with mode 1 (so throttle and aileron on the right stick) but since it is not that easy to find a 72 mhz transmitter from futaba in the Netherlands I will have to buy it on ebay. The most transmitter are mode 2. Is it easy to change the transmitter from mode 2 to mode 1?

And is this transmitter good for me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-FP-T8...item43adbde819

Thanks for all helping and I will continue reading!

Willem
jwbalder is offline Find More Posts by jwbalder