SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:54 PM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
5,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
Allot of great advise, you just helped me out allot

After spending 40+ hours reading, you just sumed it all up withen a few lines

I'm going to start to buy some equipment soon

I'll take your advise on the Easy Star , or Sky walker or something similiar, I think the 56" Delta wing I'll leave for night flying only with LED's , no FPV

I want a slow, stable, long battery life plane for FPV
Just might add stock up on L-C filters and some ferrite chokes for solving motor interference issues of the video - likely you will have some issues no matter what setup you choose. DPCav sells them, as do many fpv sellers
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
852 Posts
OK, I didnt know anything about this. Where do they go, do you have a link to them?
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
26 Posts
First time FPV questions

I have limited funds and have been looking at the Hobby King 900MHz 1500mW and the 900MHz 800mW setup they include the transmitter, receiver and camera. I live in north east PA and after looking at your video I am not sure. 5.8G sounds like it would be better but cost more. I am not looking to fly miles I am looking to fly around the local school football & baseball fields. I am thinking of getting the 900MHz 800mW. I would hate to drop a lot of money and crash (which I know is only a matter of time). What I want to do is get my feet wet then move up from there but I would like the experience to be some what enjoyable.

Is getting the 900Mhz 800mW or 1500mW a bad idea? Should I get the 1500mW and not the 800mW?

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I understand the 1500mW is larger and heavier which is why I am looking at the 800mW.

Thank you;
Raymond
webmaven is offline Find More Posts by webmaven
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
852 Posts
How does this look for FPV ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...R_C_Plane.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...th_Flaps_.html
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
kokopropelli's Avatar
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Go for 5.8Ghz. This is the frequency with fewest problems if you don't intend to break range records. Small antennas, good working systems available, no problems with others on 2.4G flying, no influence from RC-link or cameras etc. etc.

HTH

Markus
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
^+1

5.8GHz is great if you fly a 2.4GHz radio.

-Alex

Thanks Alex and Markus! I definitely appreciate the input. I'll be sending some business your way in the not so distant future Alex! I hope others find your simple, and straightforward advice useful!
Ryan
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:34 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
kokopropelli's Avatar
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
I guess it really depends on your experience. If your just starting out in the world of RC then I probably would NOT go this route, just remember, baby steps. If your just starting out in FPV (as I am), then I would go with something that is a little more durable. Its not a matter of if your going to crash....its a matter of WHEN.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
I guess it really depends on your experience. If your just starting out in the world of RC then I probably would NOT go this route, just remember, baby steps. If your just starting out in FPV (as I am), then I would go with something that is a little more durable. Its not a matter of if your going to crash....its a matter of WHEN.
Thanks, been in the hobby for the past several years, flying mostly 3D Airplanes, and heli's. I've probably had over 30+ planes in the past 2 years, I love them all !
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:18 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
Thanks, been in the hobby for the past several years, flying mostly 3D Airplanes, and heli's. I've probably had over 30+ planes in the past 2 years, I love them all !
That may be so, but FPV is very different. Your experience will help you in plane setup, and no doubt you could assemble any RC plane, but My advise would be to take a step back, and go foam. I have the skywalker (the foam version of teh 168 you linked to) and it is ubiquitous in FPV for a reason. Similar can be said of easy star, bixler cloud sky etc but I have not flown those.

Have a look on this forum for the specific threads on the planes you link to. You will find many more who have had success with the skywalker than the EPPFPV or fibreglass 168. All the best!

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
5,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
The first one is great. I have one of those and it is easy enough to fly, very graceful response, though it has some odd issues that are not hard to fix.

The 2nd one is a very advanced and fragile plane with limited application. Very fast and easy to break.

The best one from HK is the Bixler, which is an Easy Star - best choice by FAR. I have one of these also. They usually have a PNP for $55, but now they are down to some RTF kits. Can also buy the original Multiplex Easy Star from other vendors.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16542

The other best choice is the Skywalker, based on its success - I only have the Mini skywalker.

It seems the uglier the plane is the better the plane is for FPV. Until you get into flying wings or parkjets...

Here is the video of the maiden flight of my EPP-FPV, with 5.8 video, and 2.4 radio. Very relaxing flight, not very anxious at all, given the stabilization and all the telemetry on screen (Eagle Tree w/ metric units). Note, I have since upgraded to WDR cameras - my old ones suck.

EPP FPV firsttime underhood (3 min 54 sec)
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 06, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
852 Posts
Thank you both, I may just keep building my Maxi-Swift 55" EPP Wing for now for FPV as originally intended

Not sure, I'm going to look at your suggestions with the other planes right now, and do some research
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:49 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
kokopropelli's Avatar
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaven View Post
I have limited funds and have been looking at the Hobby King 900MHz 1500mW and the 900MHz 800mW setup they include the transmitter, receiver and camera. I live in north east PA and after looking at your video I am not sure. 5.8G sounds like it would be better but cost more. I am not looking to fly miles I am looking to fly around the local school football & baseball fields. I am thinking of getting the 900MHz 800mW. I would hate to drop a lot of money and crash (which I know is only a matter of time). What I want to do is get my feet wet then move up from there but I would like the experience to be some what enjoyable.

Is getting the 900Mhz 800mW or 1500mW a bad idea? Should I get the 1500mW and not the 800mW?

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I understand the 1500mW is larger and heavier which is why I am looking at the 800mW.

Thank you;
Raymond
One thing that I've learned during my quest to learn about FPV A/V setups is that quality rules over quantity. I'm not positive about 900mhz, but I've learned a good 1.2 or 5.8ghz 2-500mW setup with quality antenna will get you out 1.5+ miles. I'm sure others will chime in, but if your just looking to fly just around the local sports fields I think 1500 and even 800mW is overkill. Plus with that kind of output power a HAM tech licence will be required. Just my 2 penny's.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
The first one is great. I have one of those and it is easy enough to fly, very graceful response, though it has some odd issues that are not hard to fix.

The 2nd one is a very advanced and fragile plane with limited application. Very fast and easy to break.

The best one from HK is the Bixler, which is an Easy Star - best choice by FAR. I have one of these also. They usually have a PNP for $55, but now they are down to some RTF kits. Can also buy the original Multiplex Easy Star from other vendors.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16542

The other best choice is the Skywalker, based on its success - I only have the Mini skywalker.

It seems the uglier the plane is the better the plane is for FPV. Until you get into flying wings or parkjets...

Here is the video of the maiden flight of my EPP-FPV, with 5.8 video, and 2.4 radio. Very relaxing flight, not very anxious at all, given the stabilization and all the telemetry on screen (Eagle Tree w/ metric units). Note, I have since upgraded to WDR cameras - my old ones suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uki3g...dXruU7aiFrVl76
Wow, check out this video of the Sky Walker, they have 3 of them flying together FPV ! I may have to buy one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wHd1XBJtjxU
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
One thing that I've learned during my quest to learn about FPV A/V setups is that quality rules over quantity. I'm not positive about 900mhz, but I've learned a good 1.2 or 5.8ghz 2-500mW setup with quality antenna will get you out 1.5+ miles. I'm sure others will chime in, but if your just looking to fly just around the local sports fields I think 1500 and even 800mW is overkill. Plus with that kind of output power a HAM tech license will be required. Just my 2 penny's.

Need a license
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Last edited by fltekdiver; Mar 07, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:07 PM
I need a bigger shed..
sammyc's Avatar
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Hi, I am wondering how to wire a sanders LC filter with an osd? I have heard many different opinions of how to do it, what way is correct/works properly?

My current setup has no osd and has the LC filter before the vtx, which is supplying the camera also. Both + & - wrapped around toroid.

I have a nova osd coming, and vtx and camera will both be powered from osd. Also servo's are connected thru osd, and I think their power is therefore supplied from osd not receiver/bec. Don't know whether this will effect the location of LC filter.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:45 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Don't know whether this will effect the location of LC filter.
Doesn't. Leave it right before the VTx.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Talk 11 Dec 30, 2011 07:22 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 06:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 08:56 PM
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 8 Sep 12, 2010 07:12 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 2 May 11, 2009 07:41 PM