SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:37 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
I'm going to be using 900mhz Video Tx and a 72mhz RC, and I'm just wondering how far apart these things should be on the aircraft. Given the long antenna of the RC Rx it's almost impossible to separate the two. How critical is the distance between these antennas?
I think the suggestion is "as far as possible".

I had my RC Rx mounted just aft of the wing saddle with the antenna coming slightly forward to a spot near the TE of the wing.

I then ran the antenna out thru the wing about 1 inch forward of the TE.

My Vtx and antenna were in the canopy area in a RMRC pan and tilt mount.

The real problem that I was having was due not to the component placement in the AC but rather the closeness of the RC TX and the VRx on the ground, during launch.

IB Crazy and others like the antenna running parallel to the wing because that gives the RC rx the best reception as opposed to running the antenna out the rear of the plane and having it (in effect) point back at you on the ground. In other words, running it along the wing exposes the antenna better to your transmitted RC.

I think

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Aug 2010
74 Posts
A newbie with questions about my setup?

Any and all Help would be great!!!
I am new to the FPV world, and ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

My System: Eagle Tree Complete OSD Pro System with GPS
Eagle Tree 5hz GPS Expander
Eagle Tree Video OSD Pro Expander
e-Logger V3

Digital CCD Camera, Model DPC-480A
Video EyeWear 640x480 VGA 80" Virtual Screen

Mini 4-Channel Receiver

Hyperlink Technologies Flat Patch Antenna Model HG908P

Multiplex Easy Star RC plane with Rudder/Aileron/Elevator...

Futaba 2.4ghrtz 8FG FASST Radio

Futaba 7ch R617FS Receiver

1) I would love to know what size batteries to use with this system (I currently have numerous 3cell and a few 4cell Lipo-Batteries)?

2) What would be a good video Recorder/player to get and how to set it up with my current system?

3). How to set up my ground base system.. Pictures would be great, how the receiver should be placed, what size battery to use, how to hook up the Flat Patch Antenna, how to split the signal to both my Video Eyewear and to the "new" video player/recorder...?

4) How to get my pan and tilt to work... do I need a RX larger then a 7channel??? If so which one and how to set up..

Sorry guys, but I got this set up from here, a guy online, but I need a little help...

Thanks
flywmoi is offline Find More Posts by flywmoi
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,022 Posts
Passed my Technician class license exam today! So in a few days I can transmit legally. Not a big deal to pass but I'm pretty happy about it.....now off to buy more FPV stuff if I can find things in stock Anybody know where an ImmersionRC 600ma 5.8Ghz tx can be found? Is that the best 5.8 tx around or is there a better way to go?
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Last edited by Chukmil; Mar 03, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:40 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Great job! +1 legal and responsible FPV pilot!
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:35 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Anyone used the hobbyking OSD system? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._w_Remote.html
Do you know how it compares to the cyclops nova?
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:03 AM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
So I took my first fpv flight yesterday and boy was it more nerve racking than I thought it would be haha. it was just a little hover around in about a 30m radius. I only have the stock whips on my 5.8 system right now until i try to build some cl antenna. I might start on those tonight. overall though, it was awesome and cant wait to do it again! thank you all on this thread for all of the help and guidance!
kicekilla is online now Find More Posts by kicekilla
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,553 Posts
OK so time for another really obviously newbie question........ If I stick 12V across the red & black wires into my board cam & run the white signal wire to my living room TV, should I get a picture? Or does the screen need to be 12V as well? I'm just trying to work out whether I've got one of them DOA HobbyKing cams....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:38 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
OK so time for another really obviously newbie question........ If I stick 12V across the red & black wires into my board cam & run the white signal wire to my living room TV, should I get a picture? Or does the screen need to be 12V as well? I'm just trying to work out whether I've got one of them DOA HobbyKing cams....
Need to run video signal and ground to tv. Cut apart an old rca cable if u need to
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these for a fpv plane. i\I'm getting ready to start my beginners fpv setup and have been considering this. Also do I need a license for 100mw transmitter

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8929-sonic185-arf.html
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
Hey, anybody know the antenna solder pads on a This Vtx : http://fpvhobby.com/transmitter/21-2...ansmitter.html
I've been looking, search is down on RCG. Interwebs search has helped...
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Need to run video signal and ground to tv. Cut apart an old rca cable if u need to
Doh!!!!

Just to make it words of one syllable......

I have an old RCA plug - so if I run:
a) the black (ground) wire off the cam to both the Lipo negative and the 'outer' terminal of the RCA plug
b) the white (signal) wire off the cam to the central pin of the RCA plug, and
c) the red (power) wire off the cam to the Lipo positive

I should be able to plug the RCA plug into the yellow 'video' socket on my TV and get a signal?

Edit: Added a drawing.....
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Mar 05, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:56 AM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
I am looking at 2 planes the Skywalker and the HK EPP-FPV 1.8M X-Large EPP & Carbon Fiber , they seem to be clones of eacher other, but I do like the look of both, I was which one was the better of the 2 to get and also.
I am looking at flight times, what is the best combo for say 30 to 40min flight time?
FeWolf is offline Find More Posts by FeWolf
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:10 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
782 Posts
Short answer: Skywalker

Just search a bit here in the forum and you'll find many useful info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeWolf View Post
I am looking at 2 planes the Skywalker and the HK EPP-FPV 1.8M X-Large EPP & Carbon Fiber , they seem to be clones of eacher other, but I do like the look of both, I was which one was the better of the 2 to get and also.
I am looking at flight times, what is the best combo for say 30 to 40min flight time?
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:17 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Doh!!!!

Just to make it words of one syllable......

I have an old RCA plug - so if I run:
a) the black (ground) wire off the cam to both the Lipo negative and the 'outer' terminal of the RCA plug
b) the white (signal) wire off the cam to the central pin of the RCA plug, and
c) the red (power) wire off the cam to the Lipo positive

I should be able to plug the RCA plug into the yellow 'video' socket on my TV and get a signal?

Edit: Added a drawing.....
Colonel, Yes, that looks right. You just need the signal and common ground to your RCA plug. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Colonel, Yes, that looks right. You just need the signal and common ground to your RCA plug. -- JOHN
Cheers, John - I've already knocked up the test harness - I'll check the cam tonight. Fingers crossed!

Lesson learnt: 'Signal' is interpreted by the VCBOT* as a comparison between the signal wire & ground. Therefore need both......

* = Very Complicated Box Of Tricks