HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
164 Posts
FPV newbie

Hi All,

After learning to fly with a champ and then a Sky Surfer, I finally ordered this fpv kit: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=778

I will install it in the Sky Surfer. Does anybody have any recommendations about testing the equipment? How do I go about doing a range-check, for example? Do I just turn the transmitter on and then see how far I can go and still get an image? Anything else I should be aware of?
Jcome is offline Find More Posts by Jcome
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:26 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Hi, I am having problems with my video and radio interfering. Setup below:
-Radio: 2.4GHz Turnigy 9X
-Video tx/rx: sky-rf 5.8GHz 200mW. Rx mounted on steel tripod ~1.5m above ground and 1m away from ground station.
-Using a pair of cloverleaf antennas (will be using CL/SPW soon)

I get bad static, then when I move my RC tx, it goes fine.
It seems that when the RC tx antenna is horizontal and perpendicular to video rx I get static, when vertical and perpendicular I don't (these two might have been the other way around, can't remember) and when pointing directly at video rx I don't.

I have only noticed this when I first flew in a built-up area, when in an open area out of town, I didn't notice it.

Any suggestions pretty please??
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:08 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcome View Post
Hi All,

After learning to fly with a champ and then a Sky Surfer, I finally ordered this fpv kit: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=778

I will install it in the Sky Surfer. Does anybody have any recommendations about testing the equipment? How do I go about doing a range-check, for example? Do I just turn the transmitter on and then see how far I can go and still get an image? Anything else I should be aware of?
It's kind of hard to do a range check with 5.8GHz. Honestly, it is probably not necessary. However if you must do a range check to feel safe, buy a 30db attenuator and put it on the VTX then fly line of sight and record your flight. The 30 db attenuator will cut your video range by 32 times the normal distance. So wherever your recorder lost video, expect to go at least 20 times that far but no more than 32 times that distance.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:31 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Hi, I am having problems with my video and radio interfering. Setup below:
-Radio: 2.4GHz Turnigy 9X
-Video tx/rx: sky-rf 5.8GHz 200mW. Rx mounted on steel tripod ~1.5m above ground and 1m away from ground station.
-Using a pair of cloverleaf antennas (will be using CL/SPW soon)

I get bad static, then when I move my RC tx, it goes fine.
It seems that when the RC tx antenna is horizontal and perpendicular to video rx I get static, when vertical and perpendicular I don't (these two might have been the other way around, can't remember) and when pointing directly at video rx I don't.

I have only noticed this when I first flew in a built-up area, when in an open area out of town, I didn't notice it.

Any suggestions pretty please??
That's very strange as I used the very same combo. Ok, I used FrSky 2.4Ghz module back then. I meanwhile use a UHF long range system, but I never ever experienced any inter component kind of interferences with 5.8Ghz video.

I usually ditch the original moduels and Rx that come with the turnigy, so in case you use them, try FrSky - or even better, get a UHF system.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Ill have to try and experiment some more lol, I am using the stock flysky gear with the 9x. Its very strange. I would like to get UHF, but its still early days for me lol. Next buy will be a RTH and OSD. I am looking at the cyclops nova. It cheap, but seems ok and the RTH does the job.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:50 PM
NOT A L.O.S.er
Joined Oct 2011
33 Posts
It turns out hobby king gave me a broken camera. So I butchered a RCA cable so I could hook up the 200mw fpv system to my blu ray player. I drove down the street and got a mile of half way good video through some woods. Instead of hobby king I was looking at security camera 2000 for a new ccd camera. What is a camera I could use for under 40.00 and has the same micro servo plug as the stock camera because I can only solder wires to wires not to circuit boards. Please provide a link.
P 51 flier is offline Find More Posts by P 51 flier
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
It's kind of hard to do a range check with 5.8GHz. Honestly, it is probably not necessary. However if you must do a range check to feel safe, buy a 30db attenuator and put it on the VTX then fly line of sight and record your flight. The 30 db attenuator will cut your video range by 32 times the normal distance. So wherever your recorder lost video, expect to go at least 20 times that far but no more than 32 times that distance.

-Alex
Thanks!
Jcome is offline Find More Posts by Jcome
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:49 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
That's very strange as I used the very same combo. Ok, I used FrSky 2.4Ghz module back then. I meanwhile use a UHF long range system, but I never ever experienced any inter component kind of interferences with 5.8Ghz video.

I usually ditch the original moduels and Rx that come with the turnigy, so in case you use them, try FrSky - or even better, get a UHF system.

Markus
I found the problem is more so the distance between the video rx and RC tx. When I put the video rx further away it disappeared. Must be a bit of noise from the stock turnigy 9X (flysky) RF module. So people with this setup, be warned lol!
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:50 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
I got out to 1km today! Very happy!
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:54 AM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,558 Posts
sammyc - Also be sure to check the video connectors on your VRX. I had to replace my video receiver after I discovered the video connector on it was loose, which made it hyper susceptible to interference from my ChainLinkDare UHF TX.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:16 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
sammyc - Also be sure to check the video connectors on your VRX. I had to replace my video receiver after I discovered the video connector on it was loose, which made it hyper susceptible to interference from my ChainLinkDare UHF TX.
Ah good tip, cheers ill see if I can find another video+2 audio 3.5mm cable, they're common enough.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:32 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Has anyone used the Cyclops Nova OSD with RTH? How was it? Seems like very good value.
Will it work ok with turnigy 9X (still with flysky module)? I have read that it needs failsafe for RTH to work.
Can anyone recommend me another OSD with RTH that won't break my bank?
Cheers, Sam
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:39 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
980 Posts
A ton of goggles
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/lcd-video-goggles.html
Unfortunately it is for big order only. But it will to found them on Ebay

The itheater seems nice. They seems able to sell 2000 pieces per day....
Minimum Order Quantity:10000 Piece/Pieces
Supply Ability:2000 Piece/Pieces per Day
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Cid156; Mar 03, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:52 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
I found the problem is more so the distance between the video rx and RC tx. When I put the video rx further away it disappeared. Must be a bit of noise from the stock turnigy 9X (flysky) RF module. So people with this setup, be warned lol!
May be comparing apples to oranges but I was running 72mhz RC control and 1.2 ghz video.

I noticed on the recordings (I launch THEN fly by the monitor) that I had TERRIBLE interferrence as I lifted my EZ* to launch it but once I was 25 or 30 feet into the flight the interference cleared and I had good video throughout the flight.

Experimentation showed that certain orientations of the RC TX (in my hand) in relation to the Video TX (in the aircraft) would produce the tearing and ripping of the video.

Once launched all was good.

RC Tx/Video TX/ Video Rx = more separation the better. I also put low pass (maybe high pass, I don't remember which) on the Video TX which really helped.

Then I finally went to DragonLink with a filter on it and the problem went away completely.

That's not quite accurate, I had also went to homemade CPCL and SPW antennas and removed the video RX to a location removed from the monitor location as much as I reasonabably could. But a combination of all of these things solved my problems.

Now if I had the kahunas to try, I could launch from "under the hood" if I wanted......But I don't wanna

FPV has been a long and trying road for me but it is finally starting to come together.

I just did 1 mile last week with absolutely NO interferrnece or fades. I'M STOKED !!!

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:05 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,062 Posts
I'm going to be using 900mhz Video Tx and a 72mhz RC, and I'm just wondering how far apart these things should be on the aircraft. Given the long antenna of the RC Rx it's almost impossible to separate the two. How critical is the distance between these antennas?
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations