SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:36 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
It's a Bixler (basically a EZ* knock off)
There is a whole thread just on Bixler FPV set-ups, might want to jump in there, but from what I have seen on the Bix and EZ*, most often it looks like people are using a pod in the cockpit area with the Camera in the front with the VTx right behind it center mounted. I would be hesitant to put the VTx out on a win like that especially if your using the blue beam type antenna. It would add drag to one side of the plane only.

-Scott
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Jan 2012
44 Posts
Will any radio TX work?

Hey all, I was curious if any 2.4ghz tx will work with fpv. I am just getting started in the rc hobby and am just gona start out with a cheap hobbyking or flysky ct6b tx to get me started, I have not heard any bad reviews on these except mainly how you have to use a computer to program them. Will these types of transmitters accept those 2.4g amplifiers? Or do you HAVE to have one with a removable module?

I would just be flying fpv in normal visual range (100-200 yards). How would an amplifier work on these types of tx's? I would definitely get into long range fpv down the road and get a more expensive tx but for now I just want to know how you would put one of those $50 dollar amps on them.. Do you just unscrew the antenna, attach the amp, then reattach the antenna? Or would it go in the trainer port, etc? I have searched for over an hour last night and cannot find the answer. Thanks!

Iwfs
IwillFlySoon is offline Find More Posts by IwillFlySoon
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:51 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillFlySoon View Post
Hey all, I was curious if any 2.4ghz tx will work with fpv. I am just getting started in the rc hobby and am just gona start out with a cheap hobbyking or flysky ct6b tx to get me started, I have not heard any bad reviews on these except mainly how you have to use a computer to program them. Will these types of transmitters accept those 2.4g amplifiers? Or do you HAVE to have one with a removable module?

I would just be flying fpv in normal visual range (100-200 yards). How would an amplifier work on these types of tx's? I would definitely get into long range fpv down the road and get a more expensive tx but for now I just want to know how you would put one of those $50 dollar amps on them.. Do you just unscrew the antenna, attach the amp, then reattach the antenna? Or would it go in the trainer port, etc? I have searched for over an hour last night and cannot find the answer. Thanks!

Iwfs
the hk radio will have plenty of range for 100-200 yard flights. if you are doing short range, get the $40 5.8ghz system on nitroplanes.
baconflyer is online now Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
the hk radio will have plenty of range for 100-200 yard flights. if you are doing short range, get the $40 5.8ghz system on nitroplanes.
Yea I was thinking stock it would be fine that far, but will these cheaper 2.4g radios accept an amplifier if I wanted to stretch it a bit?

Iwfs
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:18 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,528 Posts
To hook an amplifier to the CT6B you'll have to modify it a bit. You'll have to open it up, detach the stock antenna wire and solder an SMA connector to it, which will allow you to connect an amplifier through a coax cable. I have a CT6B I did this mod on and hooked up a high gain antenna to it. I was originally planning on using that for FPV, but found my 800mw 1.2ghz VTX cut its range too much. On ground tests I was barely able to make it to the end of the block. It might still be good for visual range, but I wouldn't try to go any further than 1000 feet away with that setup. Maybe an amp would help though.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
44 Posts
Ah ok cool.. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Iwfs
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
anyone...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Hello Pilots,

I have 2 questions, hopefully someone can help me:

1) What would be a good head tracker that's easy to use and can connect directly into the futaba trainer port (futaba 9c)

2) What would you guys recommend for a reasonably priced camera? I need something that can allow me to use the OSD functions for my dragon osd.

Hope someone can help me please?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:38 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Hello Pilots,

I have 2 questions, hopefully someone can help me:

1) What would be a good head tracker that's easy to use and can connect directly into the futaba trainer port (futaba 9c)

2) What would you guys recommend for a reasonably priced camera? I need something that can allow me to use the OSD functions for my dragon osd.

Hope someone can help me please?
I can't help you with a head tracker. Few of us use them anyway. I typically hit the rudder stick.

For the camera, I like this one: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html I use it with my Remzibi OSD all the time.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:59 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
My FPV gear has finally arrived...Oooooooooooooooooooh!!!!! But that has prompted my question for tonight....

I know its going to be at least 3 weeks until I get to even start installing it, but I reckon I'd best test it asap. Because I dont want to start cutting the wires that came with it in case it needs to go back (it is from China, after all) the situation I end up with is that the Vtx will be powered with the supplied mains adaptor, but the camera & microphone will be powered off a 3S Lipo.

Will this cause any issues (like a bang and a release of the magic smoke)??? I shouldnt think so, but one want to sure, what?

Basically the power & ground for the Vtx & camera/mic will be completely seperate, but the two sub systems will be 'linked' by the video & audio signal wires.......
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,022 Posts
Man, I had this wild dream last night that all the parts and stuff I needed were in stock!.......and then I woke up
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:13 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillFlySoon View Post
Yea I was thinking stock it would be fine that far, but will these cheaper 2.4g radios accept an amplifier if I wanted to stretch it a bit?

Iwfs
I have had just under 1.5km with the hobbyking version the T6A. When I lost my plane lol (out of sight). This was on the coast/country where there is pretty much no interference at all.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:27 PM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
I don't think it will cause any magic smoke to escape, but you may not get very good picture quality without a common ground on the camera and VTx.

(At least from what I have read)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
My FPV gear has finally arrived...Oooooooooooooooooooh!!!!! But that has prompted my question for tonight....

I know its going to be at least 3 weeks until I get to even start installing it, but I reckon I'd best test it asap. Because I dont want to start cutting the wires that came with it in case it needs to go back (it is from China, after all) the situation I end up with is that the Vtx will be powered with the supplied mains adaptor, but the camera & microphone will be powered off a 3S Lipo.

Will this cause any issues (like a bang and a release of the magic smoke)??? I shouldnt think so, but one want to sure, what?

Basically the power & ground for the Vtx & camera/mic will be completely seperate, but the two sub systems will be 'linked' by the video & audio signal wires.......
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:29 PM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Alex, interesting on the rudder, do you have the rudder channel programed to a switch, so you flip the switch and it controls the camera, flip a switch and it controls the rudder, or do you simply couple the rudder to the airlerons and then use the stick only for the camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I can't help you with a head tracker. Few of us use them anyway. I typically hit the rudder stick.

For the camera, I like this one: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html I use it with my Remzibi OSD all the time.

-Alex
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ View Post
I don't think it will cause any magic smoke to escape, but you may not get very good picture quality without a common ground on the camera and VTx. (At least from what I have read)
Thanks Scott - picture quality isn't really an issue for this bench test - I just want to make sure all the kit works.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
Thanks Alex, it looks like a really good camera but is the weight not a little too much?
And which lens did you choose to use... the 3mm or 6mm?
Thanks
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames